Question :

Screening tests for Colorectal Cancer

I am worried about bowell cvancer.I have had loose motions for several months and am woried that this may be a symptom. I have previously had a rectal examination and more recently a FBC which came back OK. My doctor thinksit may be IBS but I am not convinced-just worried.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Colorectal cancer is a common cancer in men, secondly only to lung cancer. If, however, the cancer is detected early through screening, it may be highly treatable and need not be deadly. Depending on your symptoms your doctor may advise one or more colorectal cancer screening tests. Usually the first screening test done by a doctor is a guaiac fecal occult blood test or a fecal immunochemical test. Studies have shown that fecal occult blood test, when performed every 1 to 2 years in people ages 50 to 80, can help reduce the number of deaths due to colorectal cancer by 15 to 33 percent. If however you are still not convinced, you can ask your doctor for a sigmoidoscopy or preferably a colonoscopy to rule out any colorectal cancer.

Questions related to Cancer

Death metal growling?

Can Death metal growling hurt you? I'm trying to teach myself the right way to do them. I don't want cancer or anyth...

Allergies or carcinoid tumor?

I have been having episodes where I get bad stomach cramps and diarrhea and then my hands and feet get red and itchy ...

High psa tests after radiation

After 44 radiation trements psa was 1.5, the months later psa was 3.2 three months later it was 3.0. there are still ...

Worried about haveing breast cancer and am not ...

I am 14 years old and have an important cancer, I'm very concerned and am worried I might have breast cancer. I've ha...

Lump underneath my ear

Hi, i have just noticed a small hard lump under my ear, i have recently been battling eczema all over my body includi...

Cancer question/ suggestions

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with cancer. We start treatment later on this week and they have on 30Mlg of mor...

Stomach problems, cancer is huge in my family.....

Right now I have a cold feeling in my throat. I do not have acid reflux. Have horrible stomach & back pains...r...

Throat or thyroid cancer?

I have some pain in my left ear. I can feel a painful spot in my throat when I swallow. There's also the feeling of s...

is it cancer

3 months pain deep in my left buttock some pain on the outside of my left calf and pain that runs next to my hip bone...

Cancer?

I have a big lump behind my uvula and I don't what it is I hope it isn't throat cancer . If you look to the left behi...

can someone please explain my ct of my lungs

please explain FINDINGS: The thoracic spine is normal, aside from mild midthoracic osteophyte formation. The chest ...

Cancer?

My husband has unexplained bruising on he abdomen, itching all over, night sweats, fever He had swollen lymph nodes ...

lump under right nipple

What does it mean if I have a lump under my right nipple?

gynecology

peeled labia minora, red patches on lips of labia minora, skin on labia minora thickened, nystatin and diflucan didn'...

Lumps in a 15 years old neck

Hello I am 15 years old I have lumps in my neck none of them have grown I had them since at least November or Decembe...

Question for the ENT about Swollen Lymph Node

Hello, I have seen my doctor a few times for swollen lymph nodes on one side of my neck (swollen for 4 months now). I...

Is Hairy Cell treatment of 2-cda dangerous for ...

An old person of age 78 is suffering with Hairy Cell Lukemia. This has just happened second time after 10 years. . Th...

Lymph Node Question?

Hi, I had a follow up CT Scan after 6 moths for 3 small lung nodules and a small nodule on near my distal esophagu...

Red and white blood cells low count

What does it mean when red and white blood cells are low, you are a little anemic. They have done a bone marrow biopsy?

Lesions on the kidney

After a CT scan in March 2013, a small lesion on left kidney was discovered. However I was not told about this until ...

Body is not making blood

body is not making blood what is the reason

Traces of blood still in urine after negative b...

i have had a ultrasound,xray and urine test all negative for bladder cancer. What are the chances i have bladdder can...

Large Mass on Back: Scar Tissue?

12 years ago I was in a car accident and shattered my L3-4 vertibrae forcing me to have surgery to replace my broken ...

Laser Tattoo Removal

I'm undergoing laser tattoo removal. I have read about the possibility of fragmented ink causing health issues, inclu...

What procedures should be done after being diag...

My 82 years old father is suffering from urinarry bladder cancer. All his health parameters are normal though he has...

Post Your Thoughts