Question :

Diffuse lymph node enlargement

I am concerned about my swollen lymph nodes. I am a 40 yo female, smoker, overweight. I have had a full hysterectomy and take premarin. Both of my parents died of cancer. Mother rectal, father lymphoma. I have swollen lymph nodes (right side) on my neck, armpit, throat. Neck one is on the back, just below hairline and about 1 inch round. There is another node below and behind my ear that is about the same size. The armpit one is larger (possibly 2"). They are not painful, but the ones on my neck cause headaches. My white cell count has been elevated at least 6mos. I have recurrent abscesses on my breast (NOT cysts) and can squeeze fluid out of my right nipple. I also had a ct scan that showed a 2cm cyst in my right maxillary sinus. Now I am having nerve problems and have been diagnosed with neuropathy in my legs and arms. I am getting weaker all the time, fatigued and I get motion sickness very easily, even when just walking around. My doctor is always in a hurry and just rushes me out. He has not even felt my lymph nodes, just keep throwing antibiotics at me. 6 months of antibiotics is enough. Could there be a cancer concern here?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Lymph nodes may enlarge for a variety of reasons including; localised or systemic infections; systemic diseases; medications; and benign or malignant disease (for example lymphoma). When these lymph nodes enlarge they become easily palpable. Localised tenderness over the enlarged node is typically associated with enlargement secondary to infection, although not always. The axillary lymph node enlargement could be explained by recurrent breast abscesses, if this node is located on the same side as the affected breast. However this does not explain the enlarged neck lymph nodes. It is important to fully investigate the cause of the lymph node enlargement, to exclude malignant disease. I would therefore advise attending your family physician or surgeon urgently for biopsy (tissue sampling) of these lymph nodes, to determine the cause of the enlargement..

Questions related to Cancer

Allergies or carcinoid tumor?

I have been having episodes where I get bad stomach cramps and diarrhea and then my hands and feet get red and itchy ...

High psa tests after radiation

After 44 radiation trements psa was 1.5, the months later psa was 3.2 three months later it was 3.0. there are still ...

Worried about haveing breast cancer and am not ...

I am 14 years old and have an important cancer, I'm very concerned and am worried I might have breast cancer. I've ha...

Lump underneath my ear

Hi, i have just noticed a small hard lump under my ear, i have recently been battling eczema all over my body includi...

Cancer question/ suggestions

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with cancer. We start treatment later on this week and they have on 30Mlg of mor...

Stomach problems, cancer is huge in my family.....

Right now I have a cold feeling in my throat. I do not have acid reflux. Have horrible stomach & back pains...r...

Throat or thyroid cancer?

I have some pain in my left ear. I can feel a painful spot in my throat when I swallow. There's also the feeling of s...

is it cancer

3 months pain deep in my left buttock some pain on the outside of my left calf and pain that runs next to my hip bone...

Cancer?

I have a big lump behind my uvula and I don't what it is I hope it isn't throat cancer . If you look to the left behi...

can someone please explain my ct of my lungs

please explain FINDINGS: The thoracic spine is normal, aside from mild midthoracic osteophyte formation. The chest ...

Cancer?

My husband has unexplained bruising on he abdomen, itching all over, night sweats, fever He had swollen lymph nodes ...

lump under right nipple

What does it mean if I have a lump under my right nipple?

gynecology

peeled labia minora, red patches on lips of labia minora, skin on labia minora thickened, nystatin and diflucan didn'...

Lumps in a 15 years old neck

Hello I am 15 years old I have lumps in my neck none of them have grown I had them since at least November or Decembe...

Question for the ENT about Swollen Lymph Node

Hello, I have seen my doctor a few times for swollen lymph nodes on one side of my neck (swollen for 4 months now). I...

Is Hairy Cell treatment of 2-cda dangerous for ...

An old person of age 78 is suffering with Hairy Cell Lukemia. This has just happened second time after 10 years. . Th...

Lymph Node Question?

Hi, I had a follow up CT Scan after 6 moths for 3 small lung nodules and a small nodule on near my distal esophagu...

Red and white blood cells low count

What does it mean when red and white blood cells are low, you are a little anemic. They have done a bone marrow biopsy?

Lesions on the kidney

After a CT scan in March 2013, a small lesion on left kidney was discovered. However I was not told about this until ...

Body is not making blood

body is not making blood what is the reason

Traces of blood still in urine after negative b...

i have had a ultrasound,xray and urine test all negative for bladder cancer. What are the chances i have bladdder can...

Large Mass on Back: Scar Tissue?

12 years ago I was in a car accident and shattered my L3-4 vertibrae forcing me to have surgery to replace my broken ...

Laser Tattoo Removal

I'm undergoing laser tattoo removal. I have read about the possibility of fragmented ink causing health issues, inclu...

What procedures should be done after being diag...

My 82 years old father is suffering from urinarry bladder cancer. All his health parameters are normal though he has...

I have swollen lymph nodes, what kind of Doctor...

I have several swollen lymphnodes in my neck. They have been there for 7 months. I have not been feeling right and I...

Post Your Thoughts