Question :

Elevated Liver Enzymes and Abnormal Bone Marrow

My father is a 61 year old male. He took a fall while roller skating at my daughters birthday party back in July of 2010 and injured his shoulder. He spent several months in a great deal of pain. Concerned he finally sought treatment and began physical therapy. Meanwhile, he had a blood panel done about a month ago. His test came back with liver enzymes elevated so much they asked if he had a drinking problem. My father is a non-drinker, not even an occassional drink out of pure hatred towards the acholism his parents went through. He also had high blood pressure. After several months of his should pain not getting any better, they did a test (cannot recall why type of imaging) and it should an abnormality in his bone marrow - a growth? They have scheduled nuclear imaging with dye for next week. His mother died of leukemia at the age of 72. I am not asking for any medical diagnosis, but just advice of the possible medical issues he could be facing so I can do as much research as possible so I'm prepared for the outcome. Please let me know what you think.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Considering the positive family history of leukemia, and a strong negative history of alcohol for your father, leukemia seems to be a more likely diagnosis as it compromises liver function leading to the elevated levels of liver enzymes. Another diagnosis could be a secondary growth, which is a growth not located primarily in the bone marrow, but in other parts of the body, likely the bones. Other possible causes for the elevated levels of liver enzymes could be a viral liver infection, or medication that he may have been taking (possible herbal or other over the counter medications). I hope this helps.

Questions related to Cancer

Allergies or carcinoid tumor?

I have been having episodes where I get bad stomach cramps and diarrhea and then my hands and feet get red and itchy ...

High psa tests after radiation

After 44 radiation trements psa was 1.5, the months later psa was 3.2 three months later it was 3.0. there are still ...

Worried about haveing breast cancer and am not ...

I am 14 years old and have an important cancer, I'm very concerned and am worried I might have breast cancer. I've ha...

Lump underneath my ear

Hi, i have just noticed a small hard lump under my ear, i have recently been battling eczema all over my body includi...

Cancer question/ suggestions

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with cancer. We start treatment later on this week and they have on 30Mlg of mor...

Stomach problems, cancer is huge in my family.....

Right now I have a cold feeling in my throat. I do not have acid reflux. Have horrible stomach & back pains...r...

Throat or thyroid cancer?

I have some pain in my left ear. I can feel a painful spot in my throat when I swallow. There's also the feeling of s...

is it cancer

3 months pain deep in my left buttock some pain on the outside of my left calf and pain that runs next to my hip bone...

Cancer?

I have a big lump behind my uvula and I don't what it is I hope it isn't throat cancer . If you look to the left behi...

can someone please explain my ct of my lungs

please explain FINDINGS: The thoracic spine is normal, aside from mild midthoracic osteophyte formation. The chest ...

Cancer?

My husband has unexplained bruising on he abdomen, itching all over, night sweats, fever He had swollen lymph nodes ...

lump under right nipple

What does it mean if I have a lump under my right nipple?

gynecology

peeled labia minora, red patches on lips of labia minora, skin on labia minora thickened, nystatin and diflucan didn'...

Lumps in a 15 years old neck

Hello I am 15 years old I have lumps in my neck none of them have grown I had them since at least November or Decembe...

Question for the ENT about Swollen Lymph Node

Hello, I have seen my doctor a few times for swollen lymph nodes on one side of my neck (swollen for 4 months now). I...

Is Hairy Cell treatment of 2-cda dangerous for ...

An old person of age 78 is suffering with Hairy Cell Lukemia. This has just happened second time after 10 years. . Th...

Lymph Node Question?

Hi, I had a follow up CT Scan after 6 moths for 3 small lung nodules and a small nodule on near my distal esophagu...

Red and white blood cells low count

What does it mean when red and white blood cells are low, you are a little anemic. They have done a bone marrow biopsy?

Lesions on the kidney

After a CT scan in March 2013, a small lesion on left kidney was discovered. However I was not told about this until ...

Body is not making blood

body is not making blood what is the reason

Traces of blood still in urine after negative b...

i have had a ultrasound,xray and urine test all negative for bladder cancer. What are the chances i have bladdder can...

Large Mass on Back: Scar Tissue?

12 years ago I was in a car accident and shattered my L3-4 vertibrae forcing me to have surgery to replace my broken ...

Laser Tattoo Removal

I'm undergoing laser tattoo removal. I have read about the possibility of fragmented ink causing health issues, inclu...

What procedures should be done after being diag...

My 82 years old father is suffering from urinarry bladder cancer. All his health parameters are normal though he has...

I have swollen lymph nodes, what kind of Doctor...

I have several swollen lymphnodes in my neck. They have been there for 7 months. I have not been feeling right and I...

Post Your Thoughts