Question :

Vomiting large amounts of blood

Hi, my Dad 76 has been unwell for a few months, he's lost over 2 stone in weight. He has a lump in his neck which has been diagnosed as cancer, he has also had tests for lumps in his throat or oesophagus, he is waiting for the results, another week yet. He isn't eating anything other than a bowl of porridge for brteakfast which comes straight back up, he is also vomiting vast amounts of blood. Is there anything I could give him to build him up and shouldn't he be in hospital? Thank you in anticipation.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Vomiting large amounts of blood needs an immediate intervention to prevent excessive blood loss, shock and other complications. If he is unable to take any food or liquids orally, he needs to receive tube feeding or parenteral nutrition. You may visit the emergency department of the hospital for early management of the condition.

Questions related to Cancer

Allergies or carcinoid tumor?

I have been having episodes where I get bad stomach cramps and diarrhea and then my hands and feet get red and itchy ...

High psa tests after radiation

After 44 radiation trements psa was 1.5, the months later psa was 3.2 three months later it was 3.0. there are still ...

Worried about haveing breast cancer and am not ...

I am 14 years old and have an important cancer, I'm very concerned and am worried I might have breast cancer. I've ha...

Lump underneath my ear

Hi, i have just noticed a small hard lump under my ear, i have recently been battling eczema all over my body includi...

Cancer question/ suggestions

My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with cancer. We start treatment later on this week and they have on 30Mlg of mor...

Stomach problems, cancer is huge in my family.....

Right now I have a cold feeling in my throat. I do not have acid reflux. Have horrible stomach & back pains...r...

Throat or thyroid cancer?

I have some pain in my left ear. I can feel a painful spot in my throat when I swallow. There's also the feeling of s...

is it cancer

3 months pain deep in my left buttock some pain on the outside of my left calf and pain that runs next to my hip bone...

Cancer?

I have a big lump behind my uvula and I don't what it is I hope it isn't throat cancer . If you look to the left behi...

can someone please explain my ct of my lungs

please explain FINDINGS: The thoracic spine is normal, aside from mild midthoracic osteophyte formation. The chest ...

Cancer?

My husband has unexplained bruising on he abdomen, itching all over, night sweats, fever He had swollen lymph nodes ...

lump under right nipple

What does it mean if I have a lump under my right nipple?

gynecology

peeled labia minora, red patches on lips of labia minora, skin on labia minora thickened, nystatin and diflucan didn'...

Lumps in a 15 years old neck

Hello I am 15 years old I have lumps in my neck none of them have grown I had them since at least November or Decembe...

Question for the ENT about Swollen Lymph Node

Hello, I have seen my doctor a few times for swollen lymph nodes on one side of my neck (swollen for 4 months now). I...

Is Hairy Cell treatment of 2-cda dangerous for ...

An old person of age 78 is suffering with Hairy Cell Lukemia. This has just happened second time after 10 years. . Th...

Lymph Node Question?

Hi, I had a follow up CT Scan after 6 moths for 3 small lung nodules and a small nodule on near my distal esophagu...

Red and white blood cells low count

What does it mean when red and white blood cells are low, you are a little anemic. They have done a bone marrow biopsy?

Lesions on the kidney

After a CT scan in March 2013, a small lesion on left kidney was discovered. However I was not told about this until ...

Body is not making blood

body is not making blood what is the reason

Traces of blood still in urine after negative b...

i have had a ultrasound,xray and urine test all negative for bladder cancer. What are the chances i have bladdder can...

Large Mass on Back: Scar Tissue?

12 years ago I was in a car accident and shattered my L3-4 vertibrae forcing me to have surgery to replace my broken ...

Laser Tattoo Removal

I'm undergoing laser tattoo removal. I have read about the possibility of fragmented ink causing health issues, inclu...

What procedures should be done after being diag...

My 82 years old father is suffering from urinarry bladder cancer. All his health parameters are normal though he has...

I have swollen lymph nodes, what kind of Doctor...

I have several swollen lymphnodes in my neck. They have been there for 7 months. I have not been feeling right and I...

Recurrent lymphadenopaty - Inconclusive EBV and...

Hello, I'm a male 23 years old, have had a swollen lymph node since around February 1st on my neck (cervical). At fir...

Unexplained itchiness on my legs which then tur...

I have had a swollen lymph under my armpit for about 6 weeks now, its hard and painless. Over the last couple of week...

Lumps and bumps, lymph nodes for years

I went to the doctors literally three years ago about a lump in my neck, it was a swollen lymph node and it went down...

kidney pain problems

Since September, I have had 4 kidney infections. At one point I had a regular CT done and it showed a small cyst on m...

stomach cancer or stomach flue

i have been facing stomach for the past one year.i fell burning sensatation in my stomach,n it gets very hot ,i fell...

brain cancer

I have been through deep depression and took lots of depression medicine but nth work I have also loss of memory chan...

lung cancer and heart cancer

what dose it mean when you have heart cancer and lung cancer and you mumble your words and cant get the strength when...

Draining pleural effusion to lung cancer patient

My 16 yo son has rabdomyosarcoma that now reached his lungs, engulfing them with a layer of tumor mass. He now has...

Lump in the face below cheek bone.

I have a lump on the left side of my face, just below the cheek bone. When clinching my teeth the lump seems to beco...

Streaks of blood in mucus

Blood streaks phlegm does it mean lung cancer? Smoker 1 pack every 2 weeks roughly but no longer quit 12 hours ago

Lung Cancer Metastisis to Liver

In 2006 diagnosed with early stage ovarian cancer. Total hysterectomy performed as treatment. Had DVT/pulmonary embol...

Could this be bone cancer?

I'm a 32 year old female with the 6th right rib and 10th left rib fractured, after 15 weeks they are not healed, I've...

lump under tongue. Cancer?

I have found a small, round, smooth lump under my tongue just under the left set of glands at the base of the frenum....

Hard fixed lump in neck for years

I have had a very hard, fixed lump on the side of my neck for about 4 years. It is located a little over an inch beh...

HPV into CAncer

I got HPV and it developed to cancer. I'm cancer free now but recently just found out the guy I was with for a year i...

Urine colour

My mum has malignant spinal cord compression with collapsed vertebrae and paraplegia. The cancer has spread to pelvi...

Am I going to die?!

I burnt a plastic bowl in the microwave and inhaled a small cloud of the smoke. They say its carbon dioxide and hydr...

Liver Cancer

My mother is 55. She recently (in July 2013) found how she had a tumor in her colon. She had it removed and the docto...

Question on cancer

have they treated the blood of cancer victims outside the body,kidney machine,blood transfusion? cancer cell is diff...

Does this sound like I have tongue cancer?

Are these lumps on my tongue likely to be cancer?

Lump in my neck throat

I can feel a lump below my jaw line, close to y ear. It changes size and tenderness. I have had it for the past 3 we...

Side effects of radiation

My father offered to give me an apartment. The apartment is located on the second floor of a 12 floor building. What...

Precautions during chemotherapy treatment

My sister is recieving chemo and I've been with her each treatment and spend almost every waking hour with her. I ha...

Is nephrectomy really indicated?

Dear doctor, recently my husband was diagnosed to have mass in his left kidney and was adviced to undergo neph...

Best test for determining Melanoma

I recently had a biopsy done on a mole that came back as melanoma. The doc did another biopsy of the area and that o...

Post Your Thoughts