Question :

Sudden thumb and pointer finger numbness

Hi. I am a culinary student so I do a lot of knife skill practicals which involve a lot of intricate cutting. I had been doing it for about ten minutes and my right thumb and pointer finger went numb. I can still use them but it is the most bizarre feeling. They feel swollen almost but dont look it. While typing they tingle a little bit but thats all. I stopped using the knife almost two hours ago and nothing has changed. I tried stretching them, rubbing them, and nothing is helping. Please help. I dont have insurance so I dont want to make a doctors appointment if it isnt necessary.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is an entrapment of the median nerve within the carpal tunnel at the level of the wrist. Usual symptoms include numbness, tingling,”pins and needles” and pain in the wrist and hand, especially the thumb, index and middle fingers. The conservative treatment includes first of all a work-site ergonomic assessment may help to reduce potentially exacerbating factors, in your case you should modify all the postures or activities that reproduce the symptoms. The use of a wrist-hand brace that sets the wrist joint in neutral position (to be worn at nighttime for a minimum of 3-4 weeks) many off-the-shelf wrist splints seem to work well. A specific stretching/strengthening program for the hand and wrist may be useful in improving strength and dexterity. The use of anti inflammatory medications (i.e.: “Aleve”) may be of benefit if you have any pain. Lack of aerobic exercise (along with increased Body Mass Index) is a risk factor for the development of CTS and should be addressed. Overuse of legal drugs (e.g., caffeine, nicotine, alcohol) can contribute to CTS and should therefore be reduced. Most individuals with mild-to-moderate carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) respond to conservative treatment, the local corticosteroid injection may be considered in those cases that show poor improvement with the conservative treatment (although injection rarely is used in practice).

Questions related to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Painful index finger!

I have this pain in my index finger that has been there for about 4 months. I did not long ago go to the doctors to s...

carpal tunnel syndrome

I need to ask if I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my hands because its a bit painful when I am trying to right or try...

Pain and swelling in both hands in a Pet care w...

I have a very demanding job in which I have to work with 30-40 dogs together at a time. I break up fights and use th...

Bilateral Carpal tunnel Syndrome with severe pa...

I have bilateral carpal tunnel but my shoulders are very limited they are in severe pain do my shoulders have anythi...

Corticosteroids local injections to treat Carpa...

I frequently receive prednisone injections to treat areas of distress related to fibromyalgiaarthritis related to lu...

Could weight effect the unlar nerve??

I recently have been in waking up in soo much pain from my middle finger and ring finger (sometimes now thumb too) a...

Wrist pain from Typing

I have chronic wrist pain at the base of my hand where I rest my hand on my laptop when typing. It is making it very...

Possible Carpal tunnel Syndrome in a teenager p...

Hi, Im Kassidy and I'm 15 years old. I have been playing the piano for 10 years and the clarinet for 5 years. I have...

Numbness in hand having to do with shoulder

Hello, I had an anterior shift surgery on my right shoulder 6 years ago. Everything was going fine afterward. Last y...

Tingling sensation in left thumb : Carpal Tunne...

I play the guitar almost everyday; recently I have been getting a tingling in my thumb joint which only arises when ...

Swelling, pain and numbness in left arm with bl...

I have had migrains since i was little , they are just getting worse. i get numbness in my left arm slowly going to ...

Numbness and tingling in the hand at night

During the night I wake up because my hand goes numb and starts to tingle . This keeps me up because the sensation i...

Numbness in both hands for about one year at night

For the past year or so i have been waking up in the mornings and sometimes the middle of the night with severe numb...

Carpal Tunnel and de Quervain Syndromes

I have been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and de Quervain Syndrome, but the workers comp orthopedic Dr all o...

Possible Median nerve injury

Around a year ago, I woke up with an excruciating pain in my arm. I slept on it wrong and could not raise my arm abo...

Can I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Tremor?

My Dad and grandmother both have a tremor and mine only showed up a little two years ago when i moved to college. Si...

Pain and numbness in the left hand

I am a 21 year old female whose already been tested for carpal tunnel, my test came back normal and im at a loss for...

Tingling and numbness in both hands

I have tingle in BOTH of my hands , probably 40% of the day, sometimes they go numb and i drop whatever is in my han...

Had Carotid Endarterectomy on the Left Side, Ti...

I recentl had a leftside carotid endartectomy. Complications developed and I had 4 mini strokes and a convulsion pos...

Weakness in the Wrist and Fingers Numb

I am a 44 year old african american male. Suddenly I have weakness in my left wrist and some numbness and tingling i...

Left hand numbness: possible Carpal tunnel synd...

Hi I have just started a problem with my left hand about three days. The problem is that my left hand specially my t...

Tingling sensation down left arm

I get a continual feeling of pins and needles in my left arm, especially the left hand....Why ?

Severe numbness and pain in both hands at night.

Hands have been going numb since I was about 10 years old. Doctors told my parents that I was the oldest of 6 childr...

Basal thumb joint rebuilt and carpal tunnel sur...

8 weeks ago I had basal thumb joint rebuilt, and carpal tunnel surgery on the same hand. I am seeing a physical the...

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: treatments and outcome

Could carpal tunnel becme debilating? Im suffering with extreme pain in my first two fingers on my right hand and nu...

Post Your Thoughts