Cataract surgery in one eye "overcorrected" lens, now farsighted, but other eye is nearsighted

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I am a 53-year-old male who had cataract surgery in one eye in March 2011. Prior to the surgery I was near-sighted in both eyes, about -2.75. We decided to make the new lens as close to perfect as possible (meaning, leaving me not very near-sighted, if at all). However, apparently they overcorrected, and I am now far-sighted in the eye with the replacement lens, plus 1.25. Because of this, I no longer have the option of wearing glasses, and must now wear contacts. This can be extremely inconvenient at times for various reasons, including the fact that my seasonal allergies can make it uncomfortable to wear contacts. Would it be unreasonable for me to expect them to fix this free of charge (i.e., replace the new lens so I'm not far-sighted in that eye)? It seems like a bit of a mistake on their part to leave me plus 1.25 with the new lens when I'm -2.75 in the other eye. I'd really like to have the option of wearing glasses. Thanks for your help.

Dear Patient:  I sympathize with your problem and your frustration is understandable. I am not sure why you were told that you have to wear contacts only. I can see no reason from your description of the your problem why appropriate glasses could not be made to correct your vision. Just as is done with your contact lens, the necessary correction for each eye can be applied to individual lens in glasses allowing your vision to be corrected.
I thinnk getting the appropriate galsses is a better solution than re-operating. A second procedure would increase your risk of complications. Also you will still require corrective lens for your other eye.

Please login or signup to post comments!

SEARCH: