Soreness in the Iliac Crest

Dear Ask The Doctor:  Should I see a doctor again?? The last 5 weeks I've been experiencing pain in my right hip everytime I stand up. The iliac crest, is what they said. I had an xray done last week but nothing to be found, the last 5 days I've been experiencing soreness in the soft tissue around that area as well, towards the stomach more. My chiropractor is convinced it is merely muscle tension and tells me to do deep knee bends to build the muscle, but how do I do that if my side is going to burst? My doctor didn't offer any explanation other than ordering an xray. Should I go back to see a doctor again?? 

Dear Patient:  According with the description that you made of your iliac crest pain and how it developed, most likely you may have a Neuropathy, which produces a pain occurring from a peripheral nerve inflammation not associated with the spinal cord called Neuritis that causes pain in the upper anterior part of the hip and can radiate to the skin of the stomach, resulting from inflammation of a sensory nerve that goes near the Iliac crest and the superficial part of the hip. This type of pain tends to involve just a limited area only.The suggested strategy would be: conservative therapy, such as physical therapy, weight reduction to reduce abdominal girth, moist heat application, Complex B vitamin, analgesics, and anti-inflammatory drugs as Ibuprofen and avoid wearing constrictive garments, belts, or braces that impart excessive focal pressure at the lateral aspect of the affected hip. If does not get better with these measures it is strongly recommend to be evaluated by a orthopedic surgeon and maybe consider the local corticosteroid injection which may provide more chronic relief of symptoms. You have to be patient because the improvement in these cases does not occur overnight.

Please login or signup to post comments!

Official Question Provider for