Question :

Constipation and rectal bleeding

I have been suffering from chronic constipation for years, in the past year i have only been able to go after taking lots of laxatives going up to 14 days without a bm, now there is blood from that area even when im not trying to go. what is this? what should i do? Im 28years old, i have talked to my dr. about it and i cant get them to help.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Bleeding from the back passage in association with chronic constipation may indicate bleeding from the rectum or anus. This bleeding is most commonly due to the presence of haemorrhoids, secondary to constipation. Things that may improve your constipation include: increased exercise, including walking; increased fluid intake in the form of water; and increased fibre in the diet and fibre supplementation. Sources of dietary fibre include fruits and dried fruits especially prunes, root vegetables, especially in the skin, and legumes, cereals high in fibre, wheat and corn bran, oats, nuts and seeds and whole grain bread. Soluble fibre supplements and prebiotics are available in most pharmacies, which may improve symptoms in addition to diet. Other causes of bleeding from the back passage in someone of your age may include: fissures or cracks in the lining of the rectum; colitis (inflammation of the colon); polyps (slow-growing overgrowth on the surface of the colon); inflammatory bowel disease; angiodysplasia (vascular abnormality that causes bleeding from the large bowel). If all the above measures fail to improve your symptoms, I advise consulting your family doctor for a detailed history of the bleeding and a physical examination.

Questions related to Constipation

Can't have a bowel movment although taken stool...

I have been unable to have a bowel movement. I can feel the movement in my anus but cannot go. I have taken stool sof...

Help for constipation

What is the best remedy for severe constipation due to the use of vicodin?

Constipation for 4 days

I'm 15 and this is the 4th day I've been constipated, should I be worried?

GI and menstruation problems

So I've been experiencing some problems that no one seems to know the answer to for quite some time. For one, i stopp...

lower left abdominal pain, constipation, bloati...

I am 16. I have an abnormal period, I can get it maybe once every 3-6 months or two/three times a year. I been having...

Help with recurrent constipation

In October of 2013, I went to the ER for abdomen pain. They determined I was severely constipated. Since then, things...

Uncontrollable Urine and Bowl Movements

Hi, I'm going on a roadtrip where I will be driving for 24 hours straight and I have a problem that I've had for abou...

Enema with only liquid as evacuation

Hi there, I had to take an enema for a flex sig tomorrow. I don't think I used enough solution. I waited but when I...

abdominal pain

I have had alot if abdominal pain, i first threw up blood then constipation now my upper left quadrant is swollan as ...

OTC medicine for constipation

I have tried every otc meds for constipation any suggestion?

Contributing Factors to Constipation

Are there any foods that would add to a contripation problem?

my stool is hard and it was hard to go

So i was in the bathroom the other day and i went to the bathroom and my stool is hard and it was hard to go, but yes...

My newborn is constipated and i have tried corn...

My 3 week old hasn't pooped in a week ! What can I do to help him?? I've tried karo syrup and water, apple juice and ...

Regular bowel movements

Hello doctor... I am almost an 18 year old. I used to have regular bowel movements in the morning till two years be...

How can I overcome constipation and no menstrua...

I am 15 years old and I haven't had menstruation for 3 months, and still counting. I'm having a hard time sleeping an...

Pain on right side

Constipated and I have pain on my right side near belly button. What could it be?

do i need further treatment for my stool back up?

I've been having stomach problems since September 2013, rapid weight gain despite healthy changes in diet, cramping i...

Lower abdominal Pain and Blood in Stools

I have sharpe pains when I move certain ways or strain when having a bowell movment, i have noticed a litle blood in...

My baby girl Has stopped Pooing

My baby girl is 5 days old and has not pooed for nearly 48 hours i need advice on what to do please help as she is i...

Blood at anus when I wipe after passing stool

For the last few days when I have gone to the bathroom and poo I have noticed that there is blood when I wipe

Stick maroon stool after taking antibiotics

I'm so embarrassed but I'm freaking out... On Thursday I took a zpac for my strep and it made me really sick. I was ...

Management for rectal bleeding and hemorrhoids

Hi! I have had rectal bleeding when having a bowel movement for over 2 months now. I dont have health ins so I haven...

Severe Constipation with no underlying problems

Several months ago my son, who is 20 years old has had severe constipation problems to the point where he feels as i...

Medical Treatment of Constipation?

I am an 18 year old male. I never have problems with constipation. According to my mother, this is only the second t...

Treatment of chronic anal fissure not benefitin...

I'm being treated from anal fussier for couple months (I first had it 3 years ago), and I'm taking laxatives (daily ...

Post Your Thoughts