Question :

Cramps, deep low back pain and irregular bowel movements

Dear Doctor for the last 9 months I have had deep lower back pain on the left. I have been to a chiropractor for 5 times. It has helped BUT the pain still occurs especially at night. Also suffer from leg and toe cramps and irregular bowel movements, can go 3 days without a movement and have to take physllum husks to help alleviate the problem.I did have a bad fall on my left hip about 4 years ago? Is there any link between these symptoms please? Who would be the best type of doctor or consutlant to visit please? Thank you for any help in this matter.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The fall on your hip do not seem to be related to the symptoms described above. In my opinion, it could be your problem of constipation and irregular movements that may be associated with back pain and leg cramps. Best would be to consult a Gastroenterologist for an evaluation of the cause and treatment. You need to increase your water intake to at least 8 glasses each day along with high fibre diet, regular walking and/or other aerobic exercises. Reduced caffeine intake, smoking (if that is the case) and lifestyle changes may help reduce constipation.

Questions related to Constipation

Constipation for 4 days

I'm 15 and this is the 4th day I've been constipated, should I be worried?

GI and menstruation problems

So I've been experiencing some problems that no one seems to know the answer to for quite some time. For one, i stopp...

lower left abdominal pain, constipation, bloati...

I am 16. I have an abnormal period, I can get it maybe once every 3-6 months or two/three times a year. I been having...

Help with recurrent constipation

In October of 2013, I went to the ER for abdomen pain. They determined I was severely constipated. Since then, things...

Uncontrollable Urine and Bowl Movements

Hi, I'm going on a roadtrip where I will be driving for 24 hours straight and I have a problem that I've had for abou...

Enema with only liquid as evacuation

Hi there, I had to take an enema for a flex sig tomorrow. I don't think I used enough solution. I waited but when I...

abdominal pain

I have had alot if abdominal pain, i first threw up blood then constipation now my upper left quadrant is swollan as ...

OTC medicine for constipation

I have tried every otc meds for constipation any suggestion?

Contributing Factors to Constipation

Are there any foods that would add to a contripation problem?

my stool is hard and it was hard to go

So i was in the bathroom the other day and i went to the bathroom and my stool is hard and it was hard to go, but yes...

My newborn is constipated and i have tried corn...

My 3 week old hasn't pooped in a week ! What can I do to help him?? I've tried karo syrup and water, apple juice and ...

Regular bowel movements

Hello doctor... I am almost an 18 year old. I used to have regular bowel movements in the morning till two years be...

How can I overcome constipation and no menstrua...

I am 15 years old and I haven't had menstruation for 3 months, and still counting. I'm having a hard time sleeping an...

Pain on right side

Constipated and I have pain on my right side near belly button. What could it be?

do i need further treatment for my stool back up?

I've been having stomach problems since September 2013, rapid weight gain despite healthy changes in diet, cramping i...

Lower abdominal Pain and Blood in Stools

I have sharpe pains when I move certain ways or strain when having a bowell movment, i have noticed a litle blood in...

My baby girl Has stopped Pooing

My baby girl is 5 days old and has not pooed for nearly 48 hours i need advice on what to do please help as she is i...

Blood at anus when I wipe after passing stool

For the last few days when I have gone to the bathroom and poo I have noticed that there is blood when I wipe

Stick maroon stool after taking antibiotics

I'm so embarrassed but I'm freaking out... On Thursday I took a zpac for my strep and it made me really sick. I was ...

Management for rectal bleeding and hemorrhoids

Hi! I have had rectal bleeding when having a bowel movement for over 2 months now. I dont have health ins so I haven...

Severe Constipation with no underlying problems

Several months ago my son, who is 20 years old has had severe constipation problems to the point where he feels as i...

Medical Treatment of Constipation?

I am an 18 year old male. I never have problems with constipation. According to my mother, this is only the second t...

Treatment of chronic anal fissure not benefitin...

I'm being treated from anal fussier for couple months (I first had it 3 years ago), and I'm taking laxatives (daily ...

Mild pain in my lower right abdomen.

Hi, I have a slight pain in my lower right abdomen. It isn't a strong pain and if I apply pressure to it , it doesn'...

Constipation problem - What is the best treatment?

I didnt know which catagory this comes under but i really need to poo but when i go to the toilet its too big and ha...

Post Your Thoughts