Question :

Chronic cough after surgery

I have had surgery 7 wks ago. Prior to my surgery, I had no cough, but now, its constantly. Its a dry cough, feels like something tickling my throat. Can't sleep at night. Coughs all during the day. What causes this dry, nagging, cough.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I realize how concerned you are about your cough.  Chronic cough is diagnosed after having it present for more than 8 weeks. The most common causes of chronic cough are postnasal drip, asthma and acid reflux which is a frequent symptom of gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD). Chronic cough typically disappears once the underlying problem is treated.
About the relation that you notice with your recent surgery, in my opinion I cannot find a possible link since you don’t specify the type of surgery.

According to your medications, Procardia has cough as a side effect and might be also another possibility to consider as well as your history of Apnea which could also produce irritation in your Throat and Larynx that could contribute to your chronic cough too, especially if you snore.

I would suggest you to consult your primary care physician for a re evaluation of your current risk factors and for a more detailed study to rule out the possibilities mentioned above, in the meantime you could try taking over the counter cough syrup that don’t contain codeine. I wish you the best.

Questions related to Coughs

Please Help Me Figure out whats wrong

I have slowly stop smoking and now I have been coughing and had some chest pain. Is that normal. With a little dizzin...

Terrible cough, that is keeping my husband up a...

I have had a cough for a couple of months. I went to a Dr. gave me antibiotic's for bronchitis, i took the medicine b...

My cough might be bad

I have a really weird cough. Its loud and sounds like a seal. It is not normal, but it doesnt hurt me. It gets bad du...

Father has cough for 2 months now.

Hello, My father has had a severe cough now for almost 2 months. He has not taken any medications or seen a doctor (...

Just wondering what up with my throat.

My cough produces a greenish phlegm that sometimes has streaks of blood. Is this something of concern or would the st...

Persistent cough and chest pain in nonsmoker

I'm a 23 year old male. I am in good shape, active and have never smoked. I've had a persistent cough and chest pain ...

Started vomiting after bad cold and bad cough

So for the past week I've had a pretty bad cold and some bad coughing. But yesterday and today, I threw up. I would o...

Coughing up blood and feel like ice in my chest

A little bit ago I was laughing and it turned into something that seemed like a mix between a laugh and a cough. It s...

Coughing over excessively. Emergency please help

docter, i am coughing too much . i am non smoker. so why this happen? and give the treatment ?

Cough in young adult for 3 months

So here's the situation. I have had a dry tickly cough for about 3 months now. The cough started after I had a cold...

coughing up brown stringy mucus

Coughing up thick brown stringy mucus? A couple of weeks ago I had a bit of a cough noticed I was coughing up alot of...

Severe cough causing difficult to breath and vo...

I've had a cough for three weeks, I've seen my doctor about it, but he was hardly any help, he said it's due to my al...

Severe cough not improving

I am in the Philippines on a business trip. This is my 4th visit. Never sick before. About a week & half ago deve...

persistent cough in young smoker. cancer?

I am a 28 year old female and for the past couple of months. I am a smoker about 7 to 10 cigarettes a day. I quit for...

Sore throat and coughing up yellow mucus

A went to the doctor over a week ago with a sore throat and also for coughing up yellow mucus. It started off with bo...

Coughing keeping me up at night

I'm a 17 y/o male, and over the past couple of days, I've been coughing pretty badly and it's been keeping me up at n...

Persistent cough

I have had a persistent cough for several year and I noticed that it increased in the past year, or so. It's not chro...

Coughing problems

Cough and mucus from lungs probably. Plus deep nasal congestion that doesn't affect breathing. Lasted for 1 1/2 we...

Severe cough

For about four days now I have had a severe deep cough. When I cough a little bit of mucus comes up sometimes but not...

coughing for 3 weeks

Hello i am a 22 year old male that has been coughing for 3 weeks. I am worried it might be tuberculosis but i have no...

Child with a bad cough

My daughter is 4 she has a really bad cough with phlegm she is. Having a hard time breathing as she sleeps should I ...

Coughing and wheezing even after taking Augmentin

I have been on Augmentin for a week for a sinus infection. Yet, I still have a really bad cough and weezing now. Sh...

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and Blocked Nose

I have a cough when I try to sleep. I know I have Muliple Chemical Sensitivity. My room has a air fliter. Austin ...

Two Year Old with Bad Cough

What cough syrup can I give my two year old who has a really bad cough and keeping her up all night?

Cough producing white creamy foam

I have had a cough for about 2 months now that is producing a white creamy colored foam. i have pains in my right sh...

Post Your Thoughts