Question :

Symptoms suggestive of Inflammatory Bowel Disease

Last year i had severe stomach pain, diarhea, sometimes vomiting, unexplained weight loss, gas and knee pain at night. After having blood work done, it turned out that i had very low blood and iron. Just once i went to the bathroom and there was a little blood and mucus on the tissue. Then one day it all stopped just like that. On my last visit to the doctor he was concerned about crohns. Can it be possible for these symptoms to be related to crohns or could it be somthing else? help!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The symptoms you describe including abdominal pain, diarrhoea, with blood and mucus, weight loss, vomiting and knee pain, along with the presence of iron deficiency anaemia are very suggestive of an inflammatory bowel disorder (Crohns or Ulcerative Colitis), malabsorption syndrome or gluten sensitive enteropathy (Coeliac Disease). You may require referral to a gastroenterologist for investigation of the gastro-intestinal tract. Blood samples may be taken for the presence of anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies and antigliadin antibody to exclude Coeliac disease and colonoscopy should be performed, which allows visualization of the gut through a camera lens. If any irregularities in the intestinal anatomy are present a biopsy can be taken which could lead to a definite diagnosis.

Questions related to Crohn's Disease

Playing it safe

I have Chron's disease and am currently on a monthly IV of remicade and am wondering if i drank alcohol would it be s...

Rectal Bleeding

hello ,y name is nick im not sure what is wrong I know I have been to the er a few times but they always tell me I ne...

Stomach pain with blood in stool

I dont know if this has anything to do with crohns disease but i didnt see an option for my question... I am having ...

Crohn's Disease: Is there a definite treatment?

Dear Ask The Doctor, My 16 years old son was diagnosed with Crohn Disease two yrs ago. He has been taking medicatio...

Paleness due to Crohn's

Hi there, I had Crohn's Disease for around 4 years, I am a 21 year old male. I recently had a right Hemicolectomy i...

Fistula Plug for Rectovaginal fistula

I have Crohn's disease. I was diagnosed 11 years ago, but since then I have been very good. That was until May of la...

Inflammatory Bowel Disease may require Life Lon...

Dear Sir. I am 26 yrs old.Female. Last month my doctor has diagnosed colitis disease after a colonoscopy test. Have ...

Topical clindamycin contraindicated in Crohn's ...

I was recently prescribed topical Dalacin for mild acne, which contains clindamycin. I have moderate chron's disease...

Typical symptoms in Crohn's disease

I am a 27 year old male. I was in the emergency room with stomach pains I have had for about a year. I had been befo...

Symptoms of GORD and hiatus hernia

The right upper side of my stomach is hurting. It feels like someone is pushing on it really hard and it gives me t...

The use of Anti-iInflammatory Medication in the...

I just recently have been diagnosed with phlebits. I have colitis and take 10 mg of prednisone daily. Is the predn...

Chron's disease and Occulta Spina Bifida

My boyfriend is 21 years old and recently told me that he has spina bifida occulta. I know it is the less severe of...

Shingles and remicade

Can I take remicade with active shingles? I have a call into my gastro doctor. I read on webmd that my treatement f...

Crohn's and Emergency Contraception

Hello, I have mild case of Crohn's which affects only a small portion of my terminal ileum. 36 hours ago I had pro...

Post Your Thoughts