Question :

Lump behind my right ear

I have a lump on my head and or neck behind my right ear. It has been there for a few months and has not got any smaller. When I first felt it I thought it might be a bug bite or something, but those don't last months. Is this something to worry about or get checked out?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Most lumps in the neck and head are caused by swelling of the lymph-nodes in the presence of viral or bacterial infection of the area. In most case the lymph node swelling subside as the infection clears.
Long term swelling on the other hand may require further evaluation. Recommend approach in the diagnosis of the swelling involves blood work that includes CBC, ESR, electrolytes, kidney function, liver function and certain blood markers for infectious diseases, following which imaging studies and fine needle aspiration cytology or biopsy may be required for a definite diagnosis.

Questions related to Cysts

Have a large bump or cyst on my back, doesn't s...

I"ve found a hard cist like bump on my back, the size of a quarter.

Is it safe to get my ears pierced if I have reo...

Hello, I have been diagnosed with cysts in my ear lobes, (2 or 3 in each) I've have this issue since childhood. Altho...

Pea sized thing on neck

I have a pea sized thing on my neck, when i pinch it some sort of liquid will come out. Is it Epidermoid or Pilar Cys...

Breast lump on right nipple

Hi, I have recently developed a hard lump on the bottom part of my right nipple. I am 22 almost 23 and have been bulk...

How do you stop a boil from draining?

I have had a boil for 3 years would always drain and fill back up when it would drain i would squeeze it a little bit...

Vocal Fold Cyst? or Something else worst?

Last Summer I'm not sure what happened to my voice, all I remembered was I kept doing the whistle note over and over ...

I have a hole in my arm pit

I have a small Hole in my Armpit, it kind of looks like this http://www.squeakywheelseeksgrease.com/blog/wp-content/u...

What is under my jaw?

There is a jelly like substance under my jaw. It doesn't hurt. However, squeezing it hurt. There is no redness and it...

Larege lump

I have an immensely large lump in my underarm area, it's really painful and I can hardly move my arm. What is it and ...

Swollen wrist

I have sort of a knot on the upper part of my wrist. I can't remember ever hurting it to cause a knot, but it's been ...

Amy Lainhart

I have several lumps 2 under both arms, have 2 on right leg behind knee and one on my shin.some are painful?

I have a knot in my left lower abdominal and on...

Okay, so I've been in a lot of pain every once in awhile the last few months and up until last night I could shrug it...

Hard immobile bump behind right ear

Hello, I've had a hard immobile bump behind my right ear (near my hairline). It does not hurt, and has not changed...

lump with black center

i have got a hard lump with a black hole in center of it that brown puss and chunky came out of it at first squeezed ...

Bump between breasts

I have a bump/lump in between my breasts. it doesn't have a head and is growing under the skin it is partly red and t...

Recurring lump on bottom ear?

Hi, so I have a pea-sized spherical lump on my right ear. (I can feel the whole thing)It is in the part where the b...

Reoccurring Bartholinin cysts, should they be r...

My bartholin cyst is abscessing for the sixth time in a year and my doctor still hasn't taken it out...what should I ...

Bump about an inch long and it has fluid inside

I have a bump about an inch long and it has fluid inside, sometimes hurts a little. It is located on the right side o...

Cystic hygromas in adults?

What do you know about cystic hygromas in adults?

White round bubbly thing inbetween fingers

After playing the drums, I got this white round bubbly thing in between my fingers... It hurts whenever I touch it or...

How long will symptoms last and what can be taken?

My husband has been diagnosed with epididymitis. The doctor perscribed him Morgidox 100mg, but it makes him extremely...

Painless lump in groin

For the past 5 to 6 weeks I noticed a lump a little larger than a quarter in my groin. It is painless, no changes to...

Strange lump under skin

There is a small bump about the size of a piece of rice on my palm right below my right ring finger. It hurts when th...

Lump on Scrotum after taking Lortab

Hi, every time I take lortabs i get a lump that swells on my scrotum that fills with blood. when it pops it drains w...

Ganglion Cyst waiting to be removed

I have a ganglion cyst on my elbow that is scheduled to be removed next week, but I think it has burst under the ski...

Post Your Thoughts