Lump behind my right ear

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I have a lump on my head and or neck behind my right ear. It has been there for a few months and has not got any smaller. When I first felt it I thought it might be a bug bite or something, but those don't last months. Is this something to worry about or get checked out?

Dear Patient:  Most lumps in the neck and head are caused by swelling of the lymph-nodes in the presence of viral or bacterial infection of the area. In most case the lymph node swelling subside as the infection clears.
Long term swelling on the other hand may require further evaluation. Recommend approach in the diagnosis of the swelling involves blood work that includes CBC, ESR, electrolytes, kidney function, liver function and certain blood markers for infectious diseases, following which imaging studies and fine needle aspiration cytology or biopsy may be required for a definite diagnosis.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for