Question :

Ovarian cyst

I'm 18, i was in the hospital last night and was diagnosed with a large ovarian cyst. i also go my period last night while i was there, and today i am in a lot of pain, what should i do?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Ovarian cysts are fluid-filled sacs or pockets within or on the surface of an ovary. Your ovaries normally grow cyst-like structures called follicles each month. Follicles produce the hormones estrogen and progesterone and release an egg when you ovulate.
Sometimes a normal monthly follicle just keeps growing. When that happens, it becomes known as a functional cyst. One of the most common symptoms is pelvic pain, menstrual irregularities, and nausea and breast tenderness similar to pregnancy.
Many cysts commonly regress on their own, it would be recommended for you to consult a gynecologist to evaluate you and decide to wait or treat you with birth control pills for the pain and menstrual irregularities. You could take over the counter ibuprofen in the meantime. I wish you a prompt recovery.

Questions related to Cysts

Pea sized thing on neck

I have a pea sized thing on my neck, when i pinch it some sort of liquid will come out. Is it Epidermoid or Pilar Cys...

Breast lump on right nipple

Hi, I have recently developed a hard lump on the bottom part of my right nipple. I am 22 almost 23 and have been bulk...

How do you stop a boil from draining?

I have had a boil for 3 years would always drain and fill back up when it would drain i would squeeze it a little bit...

Vocal Fold Cyst? or Something else worst?

Last Summer I'm not sure what happened to my voice, all I remembered was I kept doing the whistle note over and over ...

I have a hole in my arm pit

I have a small Hole in my Armpit, it kind of looks like this http://www.squeakywheelseeksgrease.com/blog/wp-content/u...

What is under my jaw?

There is a jelly like substance under my jaw. It doesn't hurt. However, squeezing it hurt. There is no redness and it...

Larege lump

I have an immensely large lump in my underarm area, it's really painful and I can hardly move my arm. What is it and ...

Swollen wrist

I have sort of a knot on the upper part of my wrist. I can't remember ever hurting it to cause a knot, but it's been ...

Amy Lainhart

I have several lumps 2 under both arms, have 2 on right leg behind knee and one on my shin.some are painful?

I have a knot in my left lower abdominal and on...

Okay, so I've been in a lot of pain every once in awhile the last few months and up until last night I could shrug it...

Hard immobile bump behind right ear

Hello, I've had a hard immobile bump behind my right ear (near my hairline). It does not hurt, and has not changed...

lump with black center

i have got a hard lump with a black hole in center of it that brown puss and chunky came out of it at first squeezed ...

Bump between breasts

I have a bump/lump in between my breasts. it doesn't have a head and is growing under the skin it is partly red and t...

Recurring lump on bottom ear?

Hi, so I have a pea-sized spherical lump on my right ear. (I can feel the whole thing)It is in the part where the b...

Reoccurring Bartholinin cysts, should they be r...

My bartholin cyst is abscessing for the sixth time in a year and my doctor still hasn't taken it out...what should I ...

Bump about an inch long and it has fluid inside

I have a bump about an inch long and it has fluid inside, sometimes hurts a little. It is located on the right side o...

Cystic hygromas in adults?

What do you know about cystic hygromas in adults?

White round bubbly thing inbetween fingers

After playing the drums, I got this white round bubbly thing in between my fingers... It hurts whenever I touch it or...

How long will symptoms last and what can be taken?

My husband has been diagnosed with epididymitis. The doctor perscribed him Morgidox 100mg, but it makes him extremely...

Painless lump in groin

For the past 5 to 6 weeks I noticed a lump a little larger than a quarter in my groin. It is painless, no changes to...

Strange lump under skin

There is a small bump about the size of a piece of rice on my palm right below my right ring finger. It hurts when th...

Lump on Scrotum after taking Lortab

Hi, every time I take lortabs i get a lump that swells on my scrotum that fills with blood. when it pops it drains w...

Ganglion Cyst waiting to be removed

I have a ganglion cyst on my elbow that is scheduled to be removed next week, but I think it has burst under the ski...

Pilonidal cyst and surgical drainage

Can a hospital drain a pilonidal cyst before it developes a boil? I went 2 immediate care and they couldn't lance it...

Wearing contact lenses with a cyst

Hi, I had an infection which left me with a cyst at the top of my left eye lid. The cyst is I would say small to med...

Complication of Liver Cyst

I just found out I have a liver cyst. I have no symptoms. What are my concerns?

Simple Renal Cysts - Management

My mom (age 56) has a 12 mm cortical cyst in the lower pole of right kidney. does she have to undergo a surgery to r...

Lump on vagina - Bartholin`s cyst?

I have a lump the size of a grape outside the lip of my vagina bit under the skin..what might this be?

Lump in the groin area

Hi i have noticed a small lump inside my groan you can not see it but you can feel it also when i walk for long time...

Lump under my armpit.

I have a lump under my armpit i just want to know what causes

Lump behind my right ear

I have a lump on my head and or neck behind my right ear. It has been there for a few months and has not got any sma...

Lump on jaw - do I need to see a doctor

I have a small lump (about the size of a pea) that is above my jawline. It is hard but I can roll it around on top o...

Asymptomatic soft lump on anterior wall of vagina

I'm female, 25, and recently noticed a squishy blue purple lump about the size of a quarter on the anterior wall of ...

Lump on calf - what is the cause?

Hello I have noticed I developed a dime sized hard lump on my calf under the skin right on the muscle. It does not ...

Sex after a Cyst Operation

Hi, I am 20years old, 32 weeks pregnant and healthy. i had a bartholins cyst removed 2days ago and had dissolveable ...

Does a Ganglion Cyst need Removal?

I have a ganglion cyst on my wrist that started showing up around 2 and a half weeks ago, if I leave it alone withou...

Batholin cyst, can it recurr?

I had a bartholin cyst drained last month in october and it recurred on the first day of my menstrual cycle of this m...

Hemorrhagic cyst after five months

I had an ultrasound done due to pain and excessive menstrual bleeding. They found a 1.6 hemorrhagic cyst and said to...

Persistent pain after surgery to remove cyst

I have undergone a surgery for excision of a cyst on the armpit two months ago, I have visited the surgeon again aft...

Constant discharge after surgery of pilonidal cyst

I had a Pilonidal cyst removed july14and on july 27 my mom removed the stitches because my appointment wasn't till a...

Cyst on adrenal gland and elevated hemidiaphragm

I have what the doctor said is a cyst on adrenal gland and elevated hemi diaphragm. He said take advil.Do I get anot...

Painful Lump In My Armpit

I noticed a painful lump on my armpit. an d it had a blackhead on it i think so i pulled that off and sqeezed it.. a...

Problem with a Cyst

In January 2010 I started with pain in my right side, near to my ovary area. I was sent for a scan, which showed no...

Lump on Spine in Child

My 4 year old has a small .75 inch or so lump on her spine about midway down her back. We've only noticed it in the ...

After Pilonidal Cyst Operation

Hello doctors, I am a 19 year old male and have done my Pilonidal Cyst Surgery and after the surgery my penis starte...

Bartholin cyst - cyst on the inside and outside...

I have frequently getting what look to be sebaceous cyst in my groin area both on the outside and inside of my labia...

Arachnoid cyst symptoms persist after surgery

Hi Please can you give me some advice My son was diagnosed with arachnoid cyst in April 2010 he was 10 at the time ...

Ibuprofen and Cysts on the Head

Can applying a paste made of ibuprofen and water to a cyst on the back of one's head make the cyst go down?

Arachnoid cyst: Overview

I'm 27years old. i have archnoid cyst sylvian fissure on my brain. size is about 45cm3. i have severe headache for l...

Tender skin lump

Hello, about a month ago I noticed a small, hard lump under my skin on my upper thigh hip area. I thought it would g...

Post Your Thoughts