Question :

Arachnoid cyst symptoms persist after surgery

Hi Please can you give me some advice My son was diagnosed with arachnoid cyst in April 2010 he was 10 at the time and was suffering pressure behind his left eye which caused him pressure and headaches, he had a a fenestration May 2010, and as far as we know the surgeon said everything went well The thing is he is a a keen footballer and plays Sunday league football, also training twice a week, as with most people after the surgery he suffers headaches still. As parents we also notice that its always when he seems to get hot, either through aerobically or just to getting a hot bath, the headaches get worse, occasionally he feels like he is going to pass out. It was our surgeon who said he was fine a few months after his surgery to carry with his sports. What I would like to know is this safe? because i would like to know how other children who have had this procedure,and who were encouraged back into their sports, how they are doing after being given this advice,are they still well lets say 3 to 5 years down the line because I cannot find anything on the net that gives me reassurance, yes there are plenty of people who have had this type of surgery, and are encouraged back into there normal routine, but are they all doing well, my son as I mentioned sometimes feels like hes gonna faint, surgeon says this is normal, but what exactly iscausing him to feel like that, is it his blood pressure? we are well aware that the cysts can return, but I more interested in how doctors and surgeons come to this conclusion, is there overwhelming data that reassures us as parents that, children are safe continuing back into sports, after this type of condition given all the after effects such as the above they are experiencing. Regards J.McKenna

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The vast majority of persons do well after having surgery to treat an arachnoid cyst. They are able to resume all normal activities including sporting activities and do not encounter any further problems related to these cysts. The fact that your son continues to suffer headaches and occasional fainting spells is some cause for concern since it has almost been a year since treatment. I believe these symptoms warrant evaluation by a neurosurgeon as they could represent re-growth of the cyst. A repeat MRI, following an examination by a neurosurgeon, should be able to identify the cause of your son's persistent symptoms.

Questions related to Cysts

Have a large bump or cyst on my back, doesn't s...

I"ve found a hard cist like bump on my back, the size of a quarter.

Is it safe to get my ears pierced if I have reo...

Hello, I have been diagnosed with cysts in my ear lobes, (2 or 3 in each) I've have this issue since childhood. Altho...

Pea sized thing on neck

I have a pea sized thing on my neck, when i pinch it some sort of liquid will come out. Is it Epidermoid or Pilar Cys...

Breast lump on right nipple

Hi, I have recently developed a hard lump on the bottom part of my right nipple. I am 22 almost 23 and have been bulk...

How do you stop a boil from draining?

I have had a boil for 3 years would always drain and fill back up when it would drain i would squeeze it a little bit...

Vocal Fold Cyst? or Something else worst?

Last Summer I'm not sure what happened to my voice, all I remembered was I kept doing the whistle note over and over ...

I have a hole in my arm pit

I have a small Hole in my Armpit, it kind of looks like this http://www.squeakywheelseeksgrease.com/blog/wp-content/u...

What is under my jaw?

There is a jelly like substance under my jaw. It doesn't hurt. However, squeezing it hurt. There is no redness and it...

Larege lump

I have an immensely large lump in my underarm area, it's really painful and I can hardly move my arm. What is it and ...

Swollen wrist

I have sort of a knot on the upper part of my wrist. I can't remember ever hurting it to cause a knot, but it's been ...

Amy Lainhart

I have several lumps 2 under both arms, have 2 on right leg behind knee and one on my shin.some are painful?

I have a knot in my left lower abdominal and on...

Okay, so I've been in a lot of pain every once in awhile the last few months and up until last night I could shrug it...

Hard immobile bump behind right ear

Hello, I've had a hard immobile bump behind my right ear (near my hairline). It does not hurt, and has not changed...

lump with black center

i have got a hard lump with a black hole in center of it that brown puss and chunky came out of it at first squeezed ...

Bump between breasts

I have a bump/lump in between my breasts. it doesn't have a head and is growing under the skin it is partly red and t...

Recurring lump on bottom ear?

Hi, so I have a pea-sized spherical lump on my right ear. (I can feel the whole thing)It is in the part where the b...

Reoccurring Bartholinin cysts, should they be r...

My bartholin cyst is abscessing for the sixth time in a year and my doctor still hasn't taken it out...what should I ...

Bump about an inch long and it has fluid inside

I have a bump about an inch long and it has fluid inside, sometimes hurts a little. It is located on the right side o...

Cystic hygromas in adults?

What do you know about cystic hygromas in adults?

White round bubbly thing inbetween fingers

After playing the drums, I got this white round bubbly thing in between my fingers... It hurts whenever I touch it or...

How long will symptoms last and what can be taken?

My husband has been diagnosed with epididymitis. The doctor perscribed him Morgidox 100mg, but it makes him extremely...

Painless lump in groin

For the past 5 to 6 weeks I noticed a lump a little larger than a quarter in my groin. It is painless, no changes to...

Strange lump under skin

There is a small bump about the size of a piece of rice on my palm right below my right ring finger. It hurts when th...

Lump on Scrotum after taking Lortab

Hi, every time I take lortabs i get a lump that swells on my scrotum that fills with blood. when it pops it drains w...

Ganglion Cyst waiting to be removed

I have a ganglion cyst on my elbow that is scheduled to be removed next week, but I think it has burst under the ski...

Post Your Thoughts