Question :

Black tarry stools may represent upper gastrointestinal bleeding

I hate to ask this question mostly because it's TMI, but I'm worried. So for the past 4 days my stomach has been sick. I thought I might have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Pain in the upper abdomen, constipation, bloating, etc. I wasn't sure what caused it, but I do keep a food diary. On Monday I didn't have breakfast or lunch, but I had Tuna cooked in Heineken and french fries for dinner. I drank Cream Soda. Tuesday morning was the first morning waking up with pain. However, I waited about 20 minutes and it went away, and I seemed fine, so I (mistakenly) didn't think about it. I had a plain bagel with salmon cream cheese for breakfast. I drank AriZona Green Tea with Ginseng and Honey. For lunch I had kosher "pigs in a blanket" (same thing, but from a Glatt Kosher market... technically, I don't keep Kosher, but my dad is a Hazzan and I'm living with him, and obviously he does) and Mt. Dew to drink. For dinner I had a hamburger again cooked in Heineken (I had bought a pack because I wanted to try it, but I didn't like it... I don't really like beer... so instead I decided to use it to cook). I had more Mt. Dew. Woke up the next morning, Wednesday, again, with pain. This time it took longer to go away... but it still went away. For breakfast I had a sheet of matzoh and coffee with Irish Cream creamer (the non-alcoholic kind :P) to drink. For lunch I actually had an egg sandwich with strips of beef pastrami that I grilled... a bit like bacon, and Cream Soda to drink. I finished the cream soda through lunch and dinner. For dinner it was the same as Monday, although this time, instead of fries, I had vegetables and one of those Asian noodle bowls you get at grocery stores. I finished the Cream Soda. Woke up Thursday with stomach pain again, only this time it didn't go away. And I wasn't hungry. For the whole day I had just a plain bagel and a couple strips of white bread. Friday it was the same until around 5:30 when it all finally stopped. The pain was gone, the bloating was gone... everything finally stopped. I thought it was over. Today I started having diarrhea. I didn't bother to look at it first... I thought my system was finally clearing itself out. But then I noticed it not too long ago... and it's pitch black. I've never seen it like that. Liquid pitch black. I looked up some info... I currently don't have insurance and won't until July 1. I only have a sporadic job right now, don't have a paycheck, and have no money. I'm really hoping this is not a major issue like internal bleeding or worse, because I don't have the resources to go and see someone about it right now. Some more info: I also take some medications. I take prescription Allegra for allergies (one at night). I also tend to get a lot of headaches and find myself going for Extra Strength Excedrin when I get them... I threw out what's left yesterday because I believe I may have grown an addiction to them and it's that addiction that was causing the headaches. Just not I found out that Excedrin, having both Acetaminophen and Aspirin, could be a cause of the diarrhea (and I'm wondering [and hoping] if my overuse of it may have been the cause of the whole problem). Please help... what's going on? Is my system just clearing itself out after what was an attack (perhaps the Excedrin), or do I need to be worried?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The presence of a black tarry and foul smelling stool may indicate bleeding from the upper gastrointestinal tract. In addition to your symptoms of abdominal pain and history of prolonged use of extra strength excedrin (which includes aspirin 250mg, acetaminophen 250mg and caffeine 65mg) this most likely represents peptic ulceration and bleeding. Aspirin and other NSAIDs including ibuprofen predispose to peptic ulceration; therefore I advise discontinuing aspirin immediately. I would advise attending your family doctor urgently or local emergency room (if more accessible), for a full blood count examination to check your Haemoglobin level, and an urgent referral to a gastroenterologist for an endoscopy, which allows visualization of the upper gastrointestinal tract through a camera lens and identification of any peptic ulceration.

Questions related to Diarrhea

Are these symptoms irregular for taking a laxat...

I feel like I have had digestive problems and period problems for quite a long time time. (4 years now?) I will go a ...

Loose stools, foul smell and pasty which requir...

I have very loose stools and a very foul odor plus I seem to have to use a lot of toilet paper to get clean this has ...

Multivitamin question

First time taking a Ultra mega green men's multivitamin and have been going to the washroom more than i normaly do.. ...

I have had diaherra for 14 days i had a pep on ...

So I had a pep july 25 it came back normal. But I have had diaherra for 14 day it started a day or two before my pep....

How to know if C. diff is gone after Metronidazole

I was diagnosed with C.diff after taking Augmentin for a throat infection. I just finished my second round of Metroni...

What's causing these uncontrollable bowel movem...

When I eat a meal, not always, but usually I end up going to the bathroom sometimes up to 6 times. It's a real soft s...

Should i be gowing to the bathroom this much?

I have had really bad diarrhea, headaches, body aches, dizziness, fever, and nausea for the past month and a half. Th...

Abdominal pain, blood in stool, and weight loss

I've been having diarrhea for over a week, but noticed blood in my stool today. Bad abdominal pain, nausea, and lost ...

Dis colored stool

Recently I had to deal with a few days of diarrhea, something I attributed to bad food at a party. Now that it has cl...

Bleeding

Ok so I randomly had this huge paralyzingly pain in middle of my stomach this morning during breakfast and suddenly f...

diarrhea for 13 straight months

I have had diarrhea for almost 13 months and it's been almost every morning what could it be?

bad diarrhea every other day

i have dirrhea every other day with out any warning this has been going on for a few month i dont know what to do

abdominal issues

What causes a month of diarrhea and vomiting with no other symptoms?

Abdominal pain digestive issue

The symptoms are listed below. It started 5 days ago with diarrhea, but very little pain, by second day I had 4 BM's,...

diarrhea after excessive drinking

My birthday was 3 days ago and I drank heavily that night. Since then I have had constant diarrhea. My stomach will s...

Watery diarrhea

My 9 yr old dgt woke up to watery diarrhea in her bed and has had it all day. Has not had incontinence since potty tr...

Microscopic Colitis

I had been taking prevacid then took zantac. They caused severe abdominal pains so I stopped and went on Prilosec, se...

Not Eating and Diarrhea

Hi! I was just wondering if not eating causes diarrhea. Thanks!

diarrhea when sleeping

I have had type 2 diabetes for 17 years,very poor control until recently adding insulin. I have peripheral neuropath...

Diarrhea

Hi. For the past 3 weeks I have not had a solid bowel movement. It has been water diarrhea or mushy like pudding usua...

diabetic diarrhea

I have had type 2 diabetes for 17 years,very poor control until recently adding insulin. I have peripheral neuropathy...

Pooping habits changed

Recently (past couple of weeks) my pooping habits have changed. I need to go in the morning as soon as I wake up, and...

Can I eat fruit roll up if I have diarrhea

Is it safe to eat a fruit roll up while I have diarrhea?

5 day treatment of metronidazole antibiotics

Hi I have been given a 5 day treatment of metronidazole antibiotics. I am on my 2nd day and can feel they are work...

diarrhea and period for a month

For the past month I've been going through a cycle where I'll have really bad cramping and diarrhea for a week and th...

Post Your Thoughts