Question :

Causes of Abdominal Pain After having Diarrhea

For a couple of days last week, I had been experiencing constant stomach pain which it ends almost every time with diarrhea. The pains comes randomly and sometimes really unbearable. But it all stopped two days ago, however, it left me behind a consistent pain at the stomach, near the belly button. I'd figured the case may be too little to consult a doctor but I'm worried nonetheless. Much thanks!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Diarrhea in adults is usually self-limiting. However, significant electrolyte abnormalities may follow. Potassium, in particular, may decrease in diarrhea. Potassium is an important electrolyte in the involuntary movements of the intestine. When it decreases or gets depleted, the intestines may become distended and can cause abdominal pain. Also, after diarrhea, the superficial layer of cells are sloughed off so the intestines may be more sensitive than usual. It may take time for the cells to regenerate. You may want to try Gastrolyte (adult version of Pedialyte) or other oral rehydrating solutions. Instructions are written on the package and are very simple. If this is too distasteful for you, try having at least 1-2 bananas per meal. Banana is also high in potassium and may help with your problem. Congee (rice porridge) has also been proven to improve diarrhea symptoms. If your symptoms persist for a few more days or weeks, I would still suggest you visit a doctor. I do hope you get well soon. Take care.

Questions related to Diarrhea

Are these symptoms irregular for taking a laxat...

I feel like I have had digestive problems and period problems for quite a long time time. (4 years now?) I will go a ...

Loose stools, foul smell and pasty which requir...

I have very loose stools and a very foul odor plus I seem to have to use a lot of toilet paper to get clean this has ...

Multivitamin question

First time taking a Ultra mega green men's multivitamin and have been going to the washroom more than i normaly do.. ...

I have had diaherra for 14 days i had a pep on ...

So I had a pep july 25 it came back normal. But I have had diaherra for 14 day it started a day or two before my pep....

How to know if C. diff is gone after Metronidazole

I was diagnosed with C.diff after taking Augmentin for a throat infection. I just finished my second round of Metroni...

What's causing these uncontrollable bowel movem...

When I eat a meal, not always, but usually I end up going to the bathroom sometimes up to 6 times. It's a real soft s...

Should i be gowing to the bathroom this much?

I have had really bad diarrhea, headaches, body aches, dizziness, fever, and nausea for the past month and a half. Th...

Abdominal pain, blood in stool, and weight loss

I've been having diarrhea for over a week, but noticed blood in my stool today. Bad abdominal pain, nausea, and lost ...

Dis colored stool

Recently I had to deal with a few days of diarrhea, something I attributed to bad food at a party. Now that it has cl...

Bleeding

Ok so I randomly had this huge paralyzingly pain in middle of my stomach this morning during breakfast and suddenly f...

diarrhea for 13 straight months

I have had diarrhea for almost 13 months and it's been almost every morning what could it be?

bad diarrhea every other day

i have dirrhea every other day with out any warning this has been going on for a few month i dont know what to do

abdominal issues

What causes a month of diarrhea and vomiting with no other symptoms?

Abdominal pain digestive issue

The symptoms are listed below. It started 5 days ago with diarrhea, but very little pain, by second day I had 4 BM's,...

diarrhea after excessive drinking

My birthday was 3 days ago and I drank heavily that night. Since then I have had constant diarrhea. My stomach will s...

Watery diarrhea

My 9 yr old dgt woke up to watery diarrhea in her bed and has had it all day. Has not had incontinence since potty tr...

Microscopic Colitis

I had been taking prevacid then took zantac. They caused severe abdominal pains so I stopped and went on Prilosec, se...

Not Eating and Diarrhea

Hi! I was just wondering if not eating causes diarrhea. Thanks!

diarrhea when sleeping

I have had type 2 diabetes for 17 years,very poor control until recently adding insulin. I have peripheral neuropath...

Diarrhea

Hi. For the past 3 weeks I have not had a solid bowel movement. It has been water diarrhea or mushy like pudding usua...

diabetic diarrhea

I have had type 2 diabetes for 17 years,very poor control until recently adding insulin. I have peripheral neuropathy...

Pooping habits changed

Recently (past couple of weeks) my pooping habits have changed. I need to go in the morning as soon as I wake up, and...

Can I eat fruit roll up if I have diarrhea

Is it safe to eat a fruit roll up while I have diarrhea?

5 day treatment of metronidazole antibiotics

Hi I have been given a 5 day treatment of metronidazole antibiotics. I am on my 2nd day and can feel they are work...

diarrhea and period for a month

For the past month I've been going through a cycle where I'll have really bad cramping and diarrhea for a week and th...

Pain in abdominal and blood in stool

I have bleedingin my diarrhea and lower and upper abdominal pains that are very sharp andpainful could this be serious?

After I eat cheese I have diarrhea, stomach cra...

What is wrong? Every time I eat cheese I end up in agony with stomach cramps, wind and diarrhoea. Today I unexpect...

Experiencing diarrhea for 5 weeks

Ive had diarrhea for 5 weeks but i dont have any bleeding or any symptoms related to diarrhea. It goes from runny to...

Fever leading to diarrhea

I had a fever two days ago which i have overcome and just started to have diarrhea is this normal?

What should I take to alleviate my diarrhea?

What should I be taking to alleviate diarrhea?

Diiarrhea over 5 days due to flu. Is it nomal f...

I had the flu for 5 days now still having liquid diarrhea. I've been taking bismuth and gastrolyte daily and lots of ...

Dull pain in upper abdomen

I am having dull pain in my upper abdomen that hurts when I take a deep breath. This has been continuous for almost ...

Puking anything that I intake

Hello. I moved to Canada from China 5 years ago. I'm used to eating Chinese food, yesterday I bought a large pepperon...

took zantac in diarrhea

What if I took one zantac 150 while having diarrhea accidentally thinking it as acid reflux?

Forceful vomiting and acute diarrhea

Hello, I have been having acute diarrhea and projectile vomiting for the last 11 hours with abdominal pain. I had e...

Diarrhea post clindamycin use

Recently, I was prescribed clindamycin by my dentist for a molar that may need a canal. I was prescribed a 10 day co...

Hives and diarrhea sine 4 days

I have had diarrhea and hives for 4 days. I have not changed anything in my diet or detergent or soap nor have I eat...

What is the importance of colonoscopy in loose ...

Went to doctor for sever diarrhea (6 months) had lab work done (blood and and stool sample) everything came back nor...

Management for chronic loose stools

Hi, i've been having diarrhea for about 5-6 months once or twice a day. It's really annoying. At the beginning, I th...

Dark and Bright Green colored runny stool??? Is...

I am a 30 yr old female with no apparent stomach issues. Today I have had to bowel movements that were loose to diar...

Suffer from chronic diarrhea, also have psorias...

Chronic yellow diarrhea for over a month no other symptoms soffer from anxiety and psoriasis and have haital hern...

Child with loose stool and smelly breath

My 18 months old son has had diarrhoea and a smelly breath now for 2 days wot could be the cause

Chronic diarrhea for 2 months

Hello, my name is jack. I have had diarrhea for 2 months now. i am 37 years old and this is first time in my life i ...

19 month old daughter has loose stools

My daughter is 19 months old and has had diarrhea dor 24 hours she has got no other symptoms she is eating and drin...

Daily diarrhea with anticonvulsant medication

I have been taking Topiramate 100 mg for months for migrains , I have had diarrhea daily ,night and day several time...

Urinary incontinence - What do I do?

Hello, i am a 41 year old fairly heathy man. but lately i have experienced something very embarrasing. i am going to...

Black color diarrhea with bleeding

Past 1month my grandma suffer from diarrhea like black colour, last 2days bleeding also comes with that diarrhea. he...

Travel and Doxycycline use of preventing malaria

Hi Just wondering if I could get some advice. Me and my boyfriend are currently in Thailand (no risk malaria zone) w...

Black diarrhea with red spots??

Hi I am a 22 year old female and yesterday morning I woke up puking and having diarrhea. This went on every hour but...

Watery diarrhea - Viral or bacterial?

I have had now for about 24 hours very watery diarrhea almostlike a pure liquid which was 2 shades of brown then to ...

Post Your Thoughts