Question :

Finding Hair in Stool, Eating Another Persons Hair While Sleeping.

I've been finding my girlfriends hair in my stool and when I wipe. She moved in a year and a half ago, and I started having digestive problems 6-8 months later. I have some mild stomach discomfort from time to time, and constipation quite to often. Metamucil and Milk of Magnesia help, but I'm still kinda paranoid that I might have a hairball, or at least some strands of hair blocking me up. I sometimes wake up with some random strands of hair in my mouth, she has thick hair, about mid back length. Is it unheard of where one person digests another persons hair while sleeping?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Trichophagia  is the compulsive eating of hair. Trichophagia is characterized by the person eating hair, usually their own. Sometimes they may even eat the hair of others. The hair eventually collects in the gastrointestinal tract causing symptoms such as indigestion and stomach pain. Trichophagia is related to compulsive disorder. Treating the disorder of trichophagia is similar to treatment of other impulse control disorders. The disorder is believed to be caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain and can be treated with a combination of anti-depressant drugs and psychotherapy.

Questions related to Digestive Disorders

Should I be worried?

Over the past 2 months I have been under a lot of stress and anxiety and my stools are yellow and I am now out of tha...

digestive problems after quitting marijuana

quit smoking marijuana after 16 yrs of daily use (1 g a day). have had digestive problems ever since....but constipa...

Intestinal Infection Or Something Else?

For almost a month now I have been experiencing abdominal pain, cramping, bouts of constipation. Have had blood work ...

This has been an ongoing problem and we need a ...

my husband had his gallbladder removed on sunday 7/20 and all day today he has been in extreme pain and has been vomi...

Digestive advice

Hello, I just need some advice. Sometimes when i poop there is a small amount of mucus that is on the tissue when I ...

Are these pills ok to take together?

I was wondering if it was ok for me to take a probiotic (schiff digestive advantage-intensive bowel support) and a bi...

Stomach Issues

Last Summer (2013), I began taking diet pills to speed up my weight loss goal. I believe the pills increased my metab...

Severe cramping pain in rectum for over a year

dear ask the doctor,i have had a severe cramping pain in my rectum for the past year. it happens randomly during the ...

Yellow floating stool and Fatigue

I am having yellow floating stools filled with undigested food particles. Occasionally they are a dark green too, for...

Feeling fatigued, bloated

Why am I experiencing constant bloating?

Stool still around after wiping

a couple of times when i wipe myself it appears there is stool when i haven't had a bm

Passing Stool 6+ times a day

I am a 16 year old male who goes to the bathroom a lot more than average to pass stools. I go an average of 6 times a...

Cecal Volvulous

In 2010 I was diagnosed with Cecal Volvulous. I was hospitalized for 10 days in ICU after surgery. Since then I have ...

Sever bloating but still wanting to eat

I never feel full only in my guts never my actual stomach, should I be worried about something?

Food intolerance

I am a 38yr old man. Every morning I wake up I feel like I have been in a deep sleep but always feel tired. Everyday ...

Stomach issues - alternating symptoms of loose ...

I am 43 year old woman for past 2 years have had problems with my stomach. I wake up every morning with an upset sto...

Stomach pain should I see doctor or go to ER

My stomach feels like it's going to explode. The symptoms that I'm having is burning on my left side breast- The pai...

Sever pain abdomen and blood in stools

My daughter is away at college and yesterday she was taken to the ER.. her symptoms were stomach severe pain and hav...

Digestive disorder - increased bloating and loo...

After eating I suffer with bloating, followed by vomiting than will have diarrhea for several days following. This ...

Pain upper abdomen after injury

To start off i had my son in 2009 about a week after i had him i was punched in the stomach right below my sterum no...

Multiple irritated spots in colon?

I recently had a colonoscopy and was told I have hemorrhoids in my colon(several). And in the pictures, my colon loo...

Stomach Issues and lot of burping

I have been having stomach problems for about three months. Any time I try to eat soft foods that I normally would e...

Positive fecal occult blood test - declined a c...

I am 72 lady who declined a colonoscopy (terrified) after a positive fobt. What chances now???

Foul smelling burps - Management

My husband has been having problems with his stomach, when he belches or passes gas, it really smells, the belches a...

Difficulty in swallowing, which doctor should I...

Hello, My Mom isn't able to swallow her food properly. She has sluggish salivary glands and she is 82 yrs old. I wan...

Post Your Thoughts