Unecessary Gallbladder Removal?

Dear Ask The Doctor:  A doctor told me today that I needed my gallbladder removed and scheduled surgery. After doing some research I am very hesitant. I'm 35 years old and my symptoms (for two months now) are pain and cramping of my LEFT flank and occur after eating and I can no longer eat as much as I used to. I'm having odd bowel movements several times a day. Sometimes its diarrhea, other times its been orange and lately its been dark green. I also have pain in my left hip that feels like its being pulled apart. I understand that this may not have anything to do with my main symptoms, but its presence came with the flank pain. I've had an Ultrasound, CT scan, blood work, and given a urine sample. The blood and urine showed nothing wrong. The CT and Ultrasound showed a small teardrop size polyp in my gallbladder and no stones. Is this doctor cut happy or should I really be concerned?

Dear Patient:  Your symptoms do not suggest a problem with your gallbladder. Removing your gallbladder may not provide you with any relief. While your symptoms are non-specific, they are more suggestive of a problem with your large intestines. You may have a condition such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease or Irritable Bowel Syndrome. You should speak to your doctor about doing a colonoscopy. This test is used to visualize the large intestine and may be able to identify the cause of your symptoms. This should be done before considering removing the gallbaldder.

Please login or signup to post comments!

SEARCH: