Question :

Bowel Obstruction After Taking Pain Killers

I recently just got off pain meds after a week of use. I was constipated after I stopped them 2 days ago so I used a glycerin suppository last night. That worked but this morning I woke up and still had to go. My stool is now pencil thin droplets. Could this be a sing of an obstuction? or should I just wait. I am on miralax and asadopholus(sp)

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Constipation is a common side effect of narcotic pain medications and the use of glycerin suppository is appropriate in your case.
In my practice, I often prescribe a stool softener along with any narcotic prescription in the hopes of preventing constipation.
To answer you question, Bowel obstruction often results in passing no gas, bloating, abdominal distension and vomiting. If any of these other symptoms occur in addition to your constipation, please head to your local emergency department.

Questions related to Digestive Disorders

Should I be worried?

Over the past 2 months I have been under a lot of stress and anxiety and my stools are yellow and I am now out of tha...

digestive problems after quitting marijuana

quit smoking marijuana after 16 yrs of daily use (1 g a day). have had digestive problems ever since....but constipa...

Intestinal Infection Or Something Else?

For almost a month now I have been experiencing abdominal pain, cramping, bouts of constipation. Have had blood work ...

This has been an ongoing problem and we need a ...

my husband had his gallbladder removed on sunday 7/20 and all day today he has been in extreme pain and has been vomi...

Digestive advice

Hello, I just need some advice. Sometimes when i poop there is a small amount of mucus that is on the tissue when I ...

Are these pills ok to take together?

I was wondering if it was ok for me to take a probiotic (schiff digestive advantage-intensive bowel support) and a bi...

Stomach Issues

Last Summer (2013), I began taking diet pills to speed up my weight loss goal. I believe the pills increased my metab...

Severe cramping pain in rectum for over a year

dear ask the doctor,i have had a severe cramping pain in my rectum for the past year. it happens randomly during the ...

Yellow floating stool and Fatigue

I am having yellow floating stools filled with undigested food particles. Occasionally they are a dark green too, for...

Feeling fatigued, bloated

Why am I experiencing constant bloating?

Stool still around after wiping

a couple of times when i wipe myself it appears there is stool when i haven't had a bm

Passing Stool 6+ times a day

I am a 16 year old male who goes to the bathroom a lot more than average to pass stools. I go an average of 6 times a...

Cecal Volvulous

In 2010 I was diagnosed with Cecal Volvulous. I was hospitalized for 10 days in ICU after surgery. Since then I have ...

Sever bloating but still wanting to eat

I never feel full only in my guts never my actual stomach, should I be worried about something?

Food intolerance

I am a 38yr old man. Every morning I wake up I feel like I have been in a deep sleep but always feel tired. Everyday ...

Stomach issues - alternating symptoms of loose ...

I am 43 year old woman for past 2 years have had problems with my stomach. I wake up every morning with an upset sto...

Finding Hair in Stool, Eating Another Persons H...

I've been finding my girlfriends hair in my stool and when I wipe. She moved in a year and a half ago, and I started...

Stomach pain should I see doctor or go to ER

My stomach feels like it's going to explode. The symptoms that I'm having is burning on my left side breast- The pai...

Sever pain abdomen and blood in stools

My daughter is away at college and yesterday she was taken to the ER.. her symptoms were stomach severe pain and hav...

Digestive disorder - increased bloating and loo...

After eating I suffer with bloating, followed by vomiting than will have diarrhea for several days following. This ...

Pain upper abdomen after injury

To start off i had my son in 2009 about a week after i had him i was punched in the stomach right below my sterum no...

Multiple irritated spots in colon?

I recently had a colonoscopy and was told I have hemorrhoids in my colon(several). And in the pictures, my colon loo...

Stomach Issues and lot of burping

I have been having stomach problems for about three months. Any time I try to eat soft foods that I normally would e...

Positive fecal occult blood test - declined a c...

I am 72 lady who declined a colonoscopy (terrified) after a positive fobt. What chances now???

Foul smelling burps - Management

My husband has been having problems with his stomach, when he belches or passes gas, it really smells, the belches a...

Post Your Thoughts