Question :

The use of a food diary to record symptoms

Hi, I have had this problem for quite a while now (a couple years), but I never thought too much about it, I just thought I had a weak stomach. However now I'm looking more into it. What is wrong is that more often or not, when I eat out at a restaurant, or simply get cold while eating, my stomach instantly starts to feel queasy. Then within the next hour, I have to run to the washroom and usually end up having diarrhea that smells like rotten egg. After that, I feel a lot better. So it happens really quickly, but is really disruptive, and I don't know why. Once it got so bad that I had to leave work, feeling dizzy. From my knowledge, I have no allergies or other diseases. What could possibly cause my stomach to churn so badly once I eat out or get cold?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It is difficult to explain the cause of your symptoms; however it is unlikely due to an infection if symptoms started a couple of years ago. It may be helpful to note in a diary your symptoms to establish a relationship, including duration of diarrhea, food ingested, the presence of any blood or mucous associated with the diarrhea, associated symptoms (nausea or vomiting). Your symptoms could be due to a food allergy, malabsorption syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease or irritable bowel disease. I advise attending your family doctor for a detailed history and clinical examination, and following this he may be able to exclude many of the above diseases as a cause for your symptoms.

Questions related to Digestive Disorders

Should I be worried?

Over the past 2 months I have been under a lot of stress and anxiety and my stools are yellow and I am now out of tha...

digestive problems after quitting marijuana

quit smoking marijuana after 16 yrs of daily use (1 g a day). have had digestive problems ever since....but constipa...

Intestinal Infection Or Something Else?

For almost a month now I have been experiencing abdominal pain, cramping, bouts of constipation. Have had blood work ...

This has been an ongoing problem and we need a ...

my husband had his gallbladder removed on sunday 7/20 and all day today he has been in extreme pain and has been vomi...

Digestive advice

Hello, I just need some advice. Sometimes when i poop there is a small amount of mucus that is on the tissue when I ...

Are these pills ok to take together?

I was wondering if it was ok for me to take a probiotic (schiff digestive advantage-intensive bowel support) and a bi...

Stomach Issues

Last Summer (2013), I began taking diet pills to speed up my weight loss goal. I believe the pills increased my metab...

Severe cramping pain in rectum for over a year

dear ask the doctor,i have had a severe cramping pain in my rectum for the past year. it happens randomly during the ...

Yellow floating stool and Fatigue

I am having yellow floating stools filled with undigested food particles. Occasionally they are a dark green too, for...

Feeling fatigued, bloated

Why am I experiencing constant bloating?

Stool still around after wiping

a couple of times when i wipe myself it appears there is stool when i haven't had a bm

Passing Stool 6+ times a day

I am a 16 year old male who goes to the bathroom a lot more than average to pass stools. I go an average of 6 times a...

Cecal Volvulous

In 2010 I was diagnosed with Cecal Volvulous. I was hospitalized for 10 days in ICU after surgery. Since then I have ...

Sever bloating but still wanting to eat

I never feel full only in my guts never my actual stomach, should I be worried about something?

Food intolerance

I am a 38yr old man. Every morning I wake up I feel like I have been in a deep sleep but always feel tired. Everyday ...

Stomach issues - alternating symptoms of loose ...

I am 43 year old woman for past 2 years have had problems with my stomach. I wake up every morning with an upset sto...

Finding Hair in Stool, Eating Another Persons H...

I've been finding my girlfriends hair in my stool and when I wipe. She moved in a year and a half ago, and I started...

Stomach pain should I see doctor or go to ER

My stomach feels like it's going to explode. The symptoms that I'm having is burning on my left side breast- The pai...

Sever pain abdomen and blood in stools

My daughter is away at college and yesterday she was taken to the ER.. her symptoms were stomach severe pain and hav...

Digestive disorder - increased bloating and loo...

After eating I suffer with bloating, followed by vomiting than will have diarrhea for several days following. This ...

Pain upper abdomen after injury

To start off i had my son in 2009 about a week after i had him i was punched in the stomach right below my sterum no...

Multiple irritated spots in colon?

I recently had a colonoscopy and was told I have hemorrhoids in my colon(several). And in the pictures, my colon loo...

Stomach Issues and lot of burping

I have been having stomach problems for about three months. Any time I try to eat soft foods that I normally would e...

Positive fecal occult blood test - declined a c...

I am 72 lady who declined a colonoscopy (terrified) after a positive fobt. What chances now???

Foul smelling burps - Management

My husband has been having problems with his stomach, when he belches or passes gas, it really smells, the belches a...

Difficulty in swallowing, which doctor should I...

Hello, My Mom isn't able to swallow her food properly. She has sluggish salivary glands and she is 82 yrs old. I wan...

Pain in the right lower abdomen.

Sir,i am a 19 year old girl who has already suffered from an awful Hepatitis A when i was of 12 years.Off late i am ...

Digestive problem, what could be the cause?

I haven't been able to effectively digest now for sevral days and I am concerned. Is it a symtom of anything?

What is the Cause of Light Colored Stools/

"I have been having very light colored stools lately and I am nursing my 15 month old. I have also been having a lot...

Heartburn and Indigestion Mostly during the Night

For the past two to three years I randomly wake up at night feeling sick which doesn't get better until I am physica...

Swallowing a Golf Ball

I swallowed a golf ball and it has not come out. What should I do?

Why does my Xray show distended bowel loops?

Hi, I was x rayed for abdomen problems, associated with bloating and constipation. The radiologist reported that I h...

Food not passing through stomach

Good day, My father hes a problem with his Digesting system when he swallow the food they cant pass to the stomach. ...

Mild Colitis diagnosis after discontinuing medi...

What would the doctor mean if he gave me a diagnosis of a mild form of colitis? He suggested the cause to be the med...

Milk of Magnesia and Daily Consumption

Is it safe to take milk of magnesia daily? I have been for 3-6 months (2-6tbs). If not, can I stop cold turkey. Is i...

Excessive bowel movements and IBS

My problem started about 5 yrs ago. I went threw test - scopes both directions and found nothing. My problem is I ha...

Chronic dirrhea and hot sensation.

For the past 15 months I have had problems eating. Every time I eat no matter wether large or small amounts It only ...

Gallbladder removal and weight gain

I am 21 years old and I had my gallbladder removed about 6 months ago, October 1st 2010. Since I started getting gal...

Swallowing Complications after surgery - help

My mother is 88 years old and recently had a valve replacement and one bypass. The surgery was a success. She was ...

Characterisitics of Gastroparesis

I was diagnosed with a stomache disorder years ago and I cannot remember the name of it. I am looking for the name. ...

Problems with gases and bloating and getting worse

I have always noticed problems with gases and bloating, but in the last four months it has gotten worse to the exten...

Unecessary Gallbladder Removal?

A doctor told me today that I needed my gallbladder removed and scheduled surgery. After doing some research I am ve...

Black stool

What is the cause of having black stool

Gastric pain

I have had RUQ pain, nausea, bloating or distention,and fatigue for the past 3 weeks. I have gone to the ER, GI, and...

Abdominal pain and tenderness

I am a 27-year old female with abdominal pain and tenderness. The pain is in my lower abdomen, and seems to be a gas...

Blood in the stool and lactose intolerance

I'm lactose intolerant and have increased my dairy intake alot in the last couple of days, can this cause blood in t...

Liver and Gall bladder

I was bitten by an insect in early August which caused a fairly serious infection in my foot. I spent 4 days in a ho...

Altered bowel habit with blood and mucus PR

Hi, for several months I have had general abdominal pain that can occur anywhere in the abdomen and can come and go ...

Blood in the stools

What can cause blood in the stool?

If half the world carries Helicobacter Pylori, ...

Male, 41, vague IBS type symptoms, just tested positive for Helicobacter Pylori, and my doctor wants to irradicate i...

Post Your Thoughts