Question :

Feeling dizziness, off balance and light-headed: Possible Labyrinthitis.

For a month Ive been feeling light-headed, off balance and dizzy when I walk, like my head is heavy. And i have no idea why .I ve tried healthy diet, sleep and activity, blood test but doctor says im fine as im not sick. though not as bad as day 1 it is gradually getting better. I heard that an inner ear infection(Labyrinthitis)can make you feel dizzy, for weeks. And the symptoms seem to match because what happened was i got a really bad ear infection so bad that my glands were swollen, then it went away. the next day i rode an elevator as soon as i walked out i felt extremely dizzy i had to sit down for it to pass. Family and friend dont believe me as I look fine. Could a bad ear infection transfer into inner ear making you dizzy, off balance So do I have Labyrinthitis or something else Should I seek medical help or will it heal on its own.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Labyrinthitis is a problem deep inside the inner ear. It happens when the labyrinth, a part of the inner ear that helps control your balance, gets inflammed. The inflammation may cause sudden vertigo. This makes you feel like you're spinning or whirling, dizzy and off balance at times. Labyrinthitis may also cause temporary hearing loss or a ringing sound in your ears. This is also called vestibular neuritis. The two problems have the same symptoms and are treated the same way. The cause of Labyrinthitis is not clear. Labyrinthitis can happen after a viral infection or, more rarely, after an infection caused by bacteria. It is often triggered by an upper respiratory infection, such as the flu or a cold. Less often, it may start after a middle ear infection. Your doctor can tell if you have Labyrinthitis by doing a physical exam and asking about your symptoms and past health. Your doctor will look for signs of viral infections that can trigger Labyrinthitis. If the cause of your vertigo is not clear, your doctor may do other tests, such as electronystagmography or an MRI to rule out other problems. Most of the time, Labyrinthitis goes away on its own. This normally takes several weeks. If the cause is a bacterial infection, your doctor will give you antibiotics. But most cases are caused by viral infections, which can't be cured with antibiotics. Your doctor may prescribe  steroid medication, which may help you get better sooner. He or she may also give you other medicines, such as antiemetic, antihistamines, and sedatives, to help control the nausea and vomiting caused by vertigo. Staying active can help you get better. Check with your doctor about trying balance exercises at home. These include simple head movements and keeping your balance while standing and sitting. They may reduce symptoms of vertigo.

Questions related to Dizziness

Blackouts, concerned about being hereditary.

I am a 22 yo female. Starting at age 13 I started having blackouts. There are five stages. 1) lightheaded-ness, chill...

I'm getting this weird dizziness when ever I st...

At times when I stand up after resting and sitting, I get really dizzy and blinded. Its hard for me to stand and see ...

Dizziness

What is the cause of my pounding dizziness?

vertigo,ear pain,stiff neck, leg twitching, che...

why did ginkgo biloba and aspirin cause my vertigo? (suffering 3 months)

Irregular heartbeat

Hello, I have been in and out of the doctor three times. They diagnosed me with vasovagal syncope. For some reason I ...

Dizziness, Black outs, Caffeine/alchohol intolo...

I have had a lot of dizziness and heart racing and rare times where I feel faint then black out in the last few years...

never feel good anymore

i am always lightheaded and dizzy and very exhausted to the point sometimes where i do not want to leave my house wha...

Iron or glucose problems?

I have been quite lightheaded and almost blacked out the other day. I sometimes feel unbalanced or wobbly in the head...

dizzy 24/7

Ive been dizzy for 3 years, when I laugh I get dizzy, when I watch tv for more than 2 hours I get dizzy, my head shak...

Dizzy and hard to breath

The past few days I have had trouble breathing while laying down. I just have to think about it extra hard and once I...

Rabies

Yesterday I took my dog outside and he was attacked by a mother cat watching after her 4 kittens. I pulled my dog awa...

dizzy after activity

after i do physical activity for a long period of time i get dizzy passout, get muscle cramps in my side, and i cant ...

Falling down for no reason

Over the last 3 or 4 years, I will fall down for no reason. It's like I get dizzy for a quick second, then I come cr...

Anemia?

For the past week I've been feeling dizziness that can last up to an hour at least twice a day, my left ear pops a co...

feeling out of it

the lighting has been bothering me and I've had bad headaches and my joints hurt. i feel extremely foggy and the ligh...

imbalance in walk

i am 32 f from india, for the past 7 years i am suffering from imbalance in walk n always have a that feeling that fl...

Long term dizziness with sore throat and ear aches

Since September last year I have gradually been feeling unwell. I have had ongoing dizziness (feeling like I was spin...

I have a bitter taste in my mouth and also feel...

I have a bitter taste in my mouth now for two days. What could it be? and also feel dizziness

Got hit in the cheekbone twice

Friday night I got attacked I got hit in the cheek bone twice and it immediately swelled and the bruise come out Satu...

Dizziness associated with Lisinopril

Im 35 and recently lot 25lbs. I now weigh 146. My pcp put me on lisoproil 10mg for high blood pressure a few months a...

HI Blood Pressure and shortness of breath

I am 37, 6'1 238pds. I do have high blood pressure. I have experiencing a weird sensation of getting lightheaded fol...

Dizziness 24/7

Why am I constantly feeling dizzy?

Loss of consciousness due to the sight of blood?

A few weeks ago I cut my finger mildly and and it bled for a little bit. After about five minutes I started feeling d...

Dizziness.

Hi , for the last three days I've woken up feeling really dizzy sore eyes and headache it's been about three days now...

Sudden fainting with other symptoms please help.

my girl friend is 40 years old and once or twice a year she gets extremely light headed, almost passes out, and has t...

Post Your Thoughts