Question :

Why am i feeling light headed when i lay on my left side and not my right side?

Why am i feeling light headed when i lay on my left side and not my right side? i am 42 years old. and my equilibrium appears to be different. i can't get up too fast or may get dizzy. i can't ride roller coasters or other rides at the amusement park, like i use to. lately, i've been having problems laying on my left side in bed because i feel light headed. so, i lay on my back or right side, just to switch up sometimes. my question is why is the change? and why am i feeling light headed when i lay on my left side and not my right side? thanks for your help! donna

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The symptoms that you are experiencing are most consistent with Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). There is an organ in your inner ear called the vestibule which is shaped like three semi-circular canals filled with fluid. Inside the canals there are also sensory nerve fibres and otoliths. This system helps in keeping your equilibrium. Sometimes the crystals on the otoliths get dislodged and cause symptoms of dizziness and vertigo.
You may need to visit an Otolaryngologist to do tests for BPPV (Electronystagmography & videonystagmography)sometimesĀ an MRI may also be needed to diagnose acoustic neuroma( another cause of vertigo). For the treatment, a canalith repositioning can be done at the doctors office, severe cases may require surgery.
In the meantime, there are certain precautions you need to take :
1. Sit down if you are feeling dizzy, be aware that you may fall down.
2. Use a cane for support, if you are not able to balance yourself.
3. Keep your surrounding environment bright and well lit.

Questions related to Dizziness

Sudden dizziness, sweating, nausea

This morning I had a very sudden onslaught of very scary issues. All at once, I got really dizzy to the point where t...

Blackouts, concerned about being hereditary.

I am a 22 yo female. Starting at age 13 I started having blackouts. There are five stages. 1) lightheaded-ness, chill...

I'm getting this weird dizziness when ever I st...

At times when I stand up after resting and sitting, I get really dizzy and blinded. Its hard for me to stand and see ...

Dizziness

What is the cause of my pounding dizziness?

vertigo,ear pain,stiff neck, leg twitching, che...

why did ginkgo biloba and aspirin cause my vertigo? (suffering 3 months)

Irregular heartbeat

Hello, I have been in and out of the doctor three times. They diagnosed me with vasovagal syncope. For some reason I ...

Dizziness, Black outs, Caffeine/alchohol intolo...

I have had a lot of dizziness and heart racing and rare times where I feel faint then black out in the last few years...

never feel good anymore

i am always lightheaded and dizzy and very exhausted to the point sometimes where i do not want to leave my house wha...

Iron or glucose problems?

I have been quite lightheaded and almost blacked out the other day. I sometimes feel unbalanced or wobbly in the head...

dizzy 24/7

Ive been dizzy for 3 years, when I laugh I get dizzy, when I watch tv for more than 2 hours I get dizzy, my head shak...

Dizzy and hard to breath

The past few days I have had trouble breathing while laying down. I just have to think about it extra hard and once I...

Rabies

Yesterday I took my dog outside and he was attacked by a mother cat watching after her 4 kittens. I pulled my dog awa...

dizzy after activity

after i do physical activity for a long period of time i get dizzy passout, get muscle cramps in my side, and i cant ...

Falling down for no reason

Over the last 3 or 4 years, I will fall down for no reason. It's like I get dizzy for a quick second, then I come cr...

Anemia?

For the past week I've been feeling dizziness that can last up to an hour at least twice a day, my left ear pops a co...

feeling out of it

the lighting has been bothering me and I've had bad headaches and my joints hurt. i feel extremely foggy and the ligh...

imbalance in walk

i am 32 f from india, for the past 7 years i am suffering from imbalance in walk n always have a that feeling that fl...

Long term dizziness with sore throat and ear aches

Since September last year I have gradually been feeling unwell. I have had ongoing dizziness (feeling like I was spin...

I have a bitter taste in my mouth and also feel...

I have a bitter taste in my mouth now for two days. What could it be? and also feel dizziness

Got hit in the cheekbone twice

Friday night I got attacked I got hit in the cheek bone twice and it immediately swelled and the bruise come out Satu...

Dizziness associated with Lisinopril

Im 35 and recently lot 25lbs. I now weigh 146. My pcp put me on lisoproil 10mg for high blood pressure a few months a...

HI Blood Pressure and shortness of breath

I am 37, 6'1 238pds. I do have high blood pressure. I have experiencing a weird sensation of getting lightheaded fol...

Dizziness 24/7

Why am I constantly feeling dizzy?

Loss of consciousness due to the sight of blood?

A few weeks ago I cut my finger mildly and and it bled for a little bit. After about five minutes I started feeling d...

Dizziness.

Hi , for the last three days I've woken up feeling really dizzy sore eyes and headache it's been about three days now...

Post Your Thoughts