Question :

Treatment of Dry, Flaky Ears

My ears continue to be dry and flaky. they do not itch. What can I do?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Flaky skin inside the ear canals is usually a symptom of seborrhoeic dermatitis, a dermatological condition that may be caused by stress, a yeast known as malassezia, cold winter weather and, in some cases, from chronic systemic illness. They could also be due to skin allergy from shampoos, lotions or any other substances you use around your ears.To eliminate flaky skin due to seborrheic dermatitis, I would recommend over the counter shampoo that contains pyrithione, ketoconazole or selenium sulfide as an active ingredient. Apply the shampoo onto the ear for several minutes and rinse thoroughly. If this does not help, consult your doctor, who may prescribe a combination of topical prescription treatments containing ketoconazole and and a low potency corticosteroid.

Questions related to Ear Infections

Yellow jacket sting in ear

Yellowjacket flew into my ear and stung me in the EAR CANAL. Pain was a nine. Now 10hrs later is a 7. Entire inner ea...

Diacharge from ear...i have no ear drum in the ...

I am deaf in one ear (the right), i have been since ...birth. I know from past surgeries (in attempts to graph one) ...

Can adderall cause swimmers ear?

I get swimmers ear at least once year-- usually if forget to dry my ears after the shower. However, I have been notic...

Unable to hear properly and buzzing in left ear

Constant buzzing in ear, ear numb, pressure in head

Safe to fly with Swimmers Ear?

I have a case of swimmers ear in my left ear, i just went to the doctors today and got antibiotic eardrops and have b...

How to clean wax from inside of the ears

What is the best way to clean your ears? I feel like I have lots of wax in them. I was told there is a water pressure...

Pain, swelling Helix area

I got my cartilage pierced a year ago and a year later the helix part of my ear hurts and is swolen and alittle red. ...

Ear ache from earbuds

I have an ache in my ears whenever I listen to audio through headphones. It happens even if I listen to the music ver...

Cleaning ears

How should I clean my ears?

Possible ear infection. Urgent

I have water in my ear from swimming that won't come out after I've tried everything. Urgent! It's been 30+ hours sin...

mrsa ear infection

I was in the hospital receiving Iv antibiotics for four days and am continuing on a high dose of bactrim for 3 weeks ...

Perforated eardrum, unspecified

What is the significance of the NOS (not otherwise specified) or "unspecified" in a 384.2 diagnosis of perf...

Wrestler with ear infection for over a week

I have an ear infection since Saturday June 21 and I feel lazy by not doing anything. I am wrestler. Would it make it...

Issue with cattarh buildup

I've been having a spaced out feeling, feeling of fullness in my right ear, headache, occasional sharp pain in my ea...

Pulsatile Tinnitus Worries

Hi! I just want to start by saying that I posted this under ear infections because it was the closest category I coul...

Feels like there is liquid in my ear

After catching a cold last week, my ear became full and my hearing dulled all in my left ear. It seems as if it's try...

Boy burst balloon near my ear

hello , a week ago a boy burst a balloon in my right ear ... it started ringing for 10-15 secs . my hearing was limit...

Ear Infection / Allergies / Swollen Lymph nodes

I have tender lymph nodes, slightly swollen, and a healing ear infection, along with allergies. Today my doctor state...

I have fluid in my ear. Should I still go swimm...

A doctor told me that I have fluid in my ear due to sinus congestion (I don't have an ear infection yet though). Is i...

EAR CLEANING BY NAILS.

DOES CLEANING EARS VIGOROUSLY WITH NAILS BRINGS SEVERE HEADACHE. DOES THIS CLEANING OF EAR BY NAIL AFFECTS BRAIN AND ...

Ear infection

My name is heather. and i think i had an ear infection i never got it checkee because i thought it when away, the pa...

Intermittent Sharp Ear pain

I have had a sharp intermittent pain in my right ear for the last 2 days.

How To Treat Earache?

How to get rid of earache? I am not able to get expensive Medicians or Eardrops

Tinnitus and TMJ dysfunction

I hear an annoying buzzing noise in my right ear when I make a fast movement with my head such as bending down. I've...

Ear infection and blood discharge from ear

My ear has been hurting for the past day and my mum has been using some ear drops. Its 6:16am and my mums still asle...

Post Your Thoughts