Question :

Intermittent Sharp Ear pain

I have had a sharp intermittent pain in my right ear for the last 2 days.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Pain in the ear usually comes from either a problem in the middle ear or in the ear canal. My probable diagnosis would be that the pain is caused due to otitis externa. This is an inflammation of the outer ear and auditory canal caused by bacteria. Less commonly, outer ear infection may be related to a fungal infection (otomycosis), which reveals a white, mold-like appearance that is a "fungal ball". Otitis externa is fixed with antibiotic or steroid ear drops to calm down the inflammation or treat any infection. You can take over-the-counter pain medications to relieve your pain. It is also good idea to have a consultation with your ENT doctor.

Questions related to Ear Infections

Unable to hear properly and buzzing in left ear

Constant buzzing in ear, ear numb, pressure in head

Safe to fly with Swimmers Ear?

I have a case of swimmers ear in my left ear, i just went to the doctors today and got antibiotic eardrops and have b...

How to clean wax from inside of the ears

What is the best way to clean your ears? I feel like I have lots of wax in them. I was told there is a water pressure...

Pain, swelling Helix area

I got my cartilage pierced a year ago and a year later the helix part of my ear hurts and is swolen and alittle red. ...

Ear ache from earbuds

I have an ache in my ears whenever I listen to audio through headphones. It happens even if I listen to the music ver...

Cleaning ears

How should I clean my ears?

Possible ear infection. Urgent

I have water in my ear from swimming that won't come out after I've tried everything. Urgent! It's been 30+ hours sin...

mrsa ear infection

I was in the hospital receiving Iv antibiotics for four days and am continuing on a high dose of bactrim for 3 weeks ...

Perforated eardrum, unspecified

What is the significance of the NOS (not otherwise specified) or "unspecified" in a 384.2 diagnosis of perf...

Wrestler with ear infection for over a week

I have an ear infection since Saturday June 21 and I feel lazy by not doing anything. I am wrestler. Would it make it...

Issue with cattarh buildup

I've been having a spaced out feeling, feeling of fullness in my right ear, headache, occasional sharp pain in my ea...

Pulsatile Tinnitus Worries

Hi! I just want to start by saying that I posted this under ear infections because it was the closest category I coul...

Feels like there is liquid in my ear

After catching a cold last week, my ear became full and my hearing dulled all in my left ear. It seems as if it's try...

Boy burst balloon near my ear

hello , a week ago a boy burst a balloon in my right ear ... it started ringing for 10-15 secs . my hearing was limit...

Ear Infection / Allergies / Swollen Lymph nodes

I have tender lymph nodes, slightly swollen, and a healing ear infection, along with allergies. Today my doctor state...

I have fluid in my ear. Should I still go swimm...

A doctor told me that I have fluid in my ear due to sinus congestion (I don't have an ear infection yet though). Is i...

EAR CLEANING BY NAILS.

DOES CLEANING EARS VIGOROUSLY WITH NAILS BRINGS SEVERE HEADACHE. DOES THIS CLEANING OF EAR BY NAIL AFFECTS BRAIN AND ...

Ear infection

My name is heather. and i think i had an ear infection i never got it checkee because i thought it when away, the pa...

How To Treat Earache?

How to get rid of earache? I am not able to get expensive Medicians or Eardrops

Tinnitus and TMJ dysfunction

I hear an annoying buzzing noise in my right ear when I make a fast movement with my head such as bending down. I've...

Ear infection and blood discharge from ear

My ear has been hurting for the past day and my mum has been using some ear drops. Its 6:16am and my mums still asle...

Treatment of Dry, Flaky Ears

My ears continue to be dry and flaky. they do not itch. What can I do?

Son with Ear Infection not better on Antibiotics

My son is 16 mo and is fussy and rolling his eyes back . Dr diagnosed him with an ear infection and prescribed him w...

Increased Risk of Ear Infections with Sharing o...

My employer has purchased BlueTooth Ear Phones for the employees to share. We are to wipe the ear pieses with an an...

When to see a doctor regarding hearing loss aft...

I started antibiotic five days ago for an ear infection. I still can not hear out of my ear. How long should I wait ...

Ear infection And Diminished Hearing

Hello, I have an ear infection and i have had it for over a week in my right ear i visited the doctor who gave me th...

Sensation Of Water In The Ears

I have been having these pains in my ear that goes down to my throat and it also feels like there is water in my ear...

Clogged Eustachian tube to left lear

I am having periodic bouts with a plugged left ear. I have been taking medication for a sinus infection which moved...

Ringing in Ears only when there is external noi...

Hi, After having a cold around 4 months ago, I now get ringing in my ears. This ring is not there when there is si...

Pain, itching and ringing sensation in the ear

Hello I'm 22 years old male, and i have been having pain and hearing loss in my right ear. I am also having itching ...

Ear problem. I hear ( wheezing, ringing... or l...

I'm 53-year-old, i have an ear problem, i hear wheezing, the wheezing come suddenly and stay for hours and may be fo...

Pressure and Fullness of the Ears

I have severe pressure and fullness in my left ear. I also have ringing and pain. I can hear every movment I make( ...

Ear Infection not better with antibiotics

My ear is still hurting and giving me headaches, I still have and ear infection after taking Cipro for 7 days is thi...

Increased chances of Ear infection due to smoking

Does smokeing in the house cause ear infections

Is pain in tongue and ear connected?

What does it mean when you get a sharp pain down one side of your tongue also got a little bit of ear ache is that c...

Blood and pus drainage from ears

Hi, My husband has chronic sinus trouble and had sinus surgery years ago. Today when he was cleaning his ears with a...

Ear infection - Taking antibiotics

The small hole just above my ear lobe and area at the back became swollen four days ago, i used rapiclav-625 500mg, ...

Drinking while on a z-pack

Will drinking alcohol in moderation (1-2 drinks) while on z-pack for ear infection affect the z-pack's effectiveness?

treatment for Meniere's disease

How can I treat meniere's disease completely from my mother's ears?

Left Ear Noise - No Cure?

I have had a noise in my left ear for the last month or so, it sounds sort of like an ocean but it has a rhythm like...

Ear Ache and Tooth Ache

For the last 2 days i have had pain in my ear and on my teeth upper and lower. The pain is mainly in my ear but felt...

Head and ear pain

I have not been feeling well for a week now. I normally feel better after a few days. My issues are that I have been...

Continuing using Antibiotic Ear Drops after sto...

Hello. i recently was using some antibiotic eardrops (dexamethasone) in my one ear that i think has an infection (th...

Ear Infection not responding to medicines.

This is the closest subject I could find to my pain. Im having extreme jaw and tooth pain from edge near my left ea...

Should I stop taking antibiotics if I feel better?

Hi. I have woke up with an ear infection two days ago. I went to see my doctor yesterday and he prescribed me amoxic...

Echo in my left ear after bout of cold.

Hi, I was a little cold in the past days and last night at work I had a terrible pain in my left ear. Today when i w...

Chronic Ear drainage, Would It Indicate an Infe...

Our daughter has tubes; got them in Feb 2010...she is currently having drainage from the right ear..its kinda of st...

Blister inside my ear, how do I treat This?

I have what looks like a big blister just in the inside of my ear, its got bigger within the last couple of days. Ho...

Wax build-up and hearing loss

I have a lot of wax in my ears and I was cleaning the outside of it with a Qtip the other night and slipped on some ...

Causes of my tinnitus?

I have ringing of the ears all of the time. On occasion when I am not feeling well the ringing is louder and I get s...

Post Your Thoughts