Question :

What causes Watery Eyes?

I wake up in the middle of the night and my left eye is leaking. Why is it doing that?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Watery eyes occur when your body makes more tears than you lose through evaporation or drainage. Watery eyes or excess tearing may happen naturally in response to emotions or to cold, windy weather. Otherwise, persistent watery eyes can have many causes, including allergies and infections. A blocked tear duct is a common cause of watery eyes. Complications from dry eyes or eye irritation can trigger the release of a large amount of tears in an attempt to lubricate your eyes. The excess tears overwhelm the drainage system, causing watery eyes. Usually watery eyes resolve on its own and no treatment is required.

Questions related to Eye Health

Pain behind my Right Eye

Hello, I have dull pain behind my right eye that occurs about every half an hour. This has happened before but normal...

Under eye pressure/tightening sensation

I have a dull pressure/tightening sensation under my left eye. The under-eye is slightly bloated but so is my right e...

Eye blood vessel bursting

Can a broken blood vessel in your eyes cause floaters?

I don't know if I'm okay....

A couple months ago, before school in the morning I would look in my bathroom mirror and I noticed that one eyelid is...

I experience momentary blindness almost two to...

Hello doctor, I experience momentary blindness almost two to three times in a week.to state correct my vision flicker...

Need to find the cause to my floaters and infla...

I had iritis about 5 years ago, to my dismay it is back, the floaters and my eye have inflammation. I have eye drop...

mass found around the eye

My grandaughter just got out of surgery with a removal of a white puffy mass the size of your thumb, that started und...

Eye infection

Hello, I woke up about 5 days ago with itchy red and swollen eyes. My eye was very swollen in the inner corner of my ...

Uv eye damage

I have central vision lose because of uv damage to my eyes and I would like to know what I can do to improve my readi...

I have diabetes 

I have diabetes and I'm concerned i have bags underneath my eyes and my right eye is getting darker then the the othe...

Mercury in my eye which has gotten into head

i got mercury in my eye, then it got lost in my head. think im ok? this website had no category for this so i picked ...

Eye swelling - and Thyroid medication

I have a swelling in the crease of my eye. It is soft and is not a lump. It isn't painful or itchy. It seems to have ...

Quick onset eye pain

My left eye is tender to the touch in the inside corner and under the bottom lashes, this came on all of a sudden las...

negative 2.10 and negative 2.25 eye problem

If my eye test result is; right eye-2.10 left eye -2.25. What kind of disorder am I suffering from and do I need a c...

Dry eye and suspected pterygium

I have red eye on both eyes and diagnosed with corneal deposits on the right eye and was treated with Maxitrol eye dr...

Black dot on the eye

I have a tiny black dot on my the colorful part of the eye not on the white of it. I think it's called the iris it is...

About Eye Cataract surgery

Hello Doc My cousin Sister recently went through a cataract surgery for both eyes with a gap period of 5 months in...

Red eye (viral conjunctivitis)

I have a red eye (viral conjunctivitis) and i have a flight on friday, should i change my booking will it go away by...

Dark Circles and Puffy Eyes

Dear Dr., I am 30 years old and I have dark circles under my eyes. When I wake up in the morning, they look even wo...

Swelling of eyelid due to allergy or conjunctiv...

Hi there I went to work two weeks ago with a headache so I took 2 paracetemol. There was a customer that sneezed al...

Burning Eyes, Discharge and Swelling

Dear dr. i have eye boogers every morning i can hardly open my eyes but through out the day they burn alot !!! its h...

Hand senitizer in the eye

Hi I got some hand senitizer into my eye now I tryed to wash it with watter and I tryied some red eye drops should ...

Treatment of Common Cold and watering eyes

Whenever I get a cold, my eyes get watery and keep tearing? Any suggestions?

Hypertensive and problem with eyesight

For the past nine months or so I have been suffering with very heavy eyes. The symptoms are impaired and blurred vis...

Treatment for Itchy swollen eyes

For about a week now I have been waking up to itchy eyes, at first they were just dry at the end and I didn't think ...

Post Your Thoughts