Question :

Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired.

For the last three months I am tired all the time and my stomach is upset all the time. My doctor ran tests but nothing came up. Also my joints are throbbing all the time. My mom has fibromyalgia and she was wondering if I could also have that.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Thank you for your question.  When results for problematic symptoms turn up normal, it can be frustrating. It is always a good idea to ask you doctor if it "could be anything else" other than the disease he tested for or if "retesting is warranted" after a period of time.
The reason I mention this is because Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion meaning we diagnose someone with it after all other possible conditions have been ruled out.
Fibromyalgia still remains poorly studied but we do know that it is hereditary (runs in families) and is worsened by physical and emotional stresses.  Prescription medications are an option and have varying levels of success.
The most important thing in fibromyalgia is to find a treatment that works for you through trial and error. Some people prefer vigorous exercise, others prefer rest.  Some people prefer hot compresses, others prefer cold treatments. Some people have had success with alternative health care practitioners and others have had success with enhancing their socialization.  The reported success of these vastly different treatment modalities underlines how little we truly understand about Fibromyalgia.

Questions related to Fibromyalgia

2 herniated discs one in the L5-S1 and another ...

I have 2 herniated discs one in the L5-S1 and another in the L4-L5. I have spinal stenosis and bad sciatica. Last Fri...

stretching every muscle and cracking every joi...

I have had a constant need to stretch every muscle in my body(from the small to the big ones) and crack every joint i...

Do i have fibromyalgia?

Im not sure if what i have is just an eye problem or not, i have extreme fatigue and have for 2 years i dont sleep we...

Is Lyrica (pregabalin) better than gabapentin i...

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. My question is this: Savella 100mg, tid is what I am taking and it's help...

Pain in multiple joints for several years: Fibr...

Hello, I need help. For approx. 10 years now, I have suffered with pain throughout my entire body. Mostly in the joi...

Fibromyalgia - What tests are appropriate

Hi there doctor, my name is Emma, Could you help me? What can I do for a testing for Fibromyalgia? My doctor wont se...

Pain in the back and neck when apply pressure i...

I've been having extreme aching pains in my back and neck, and chest. It started with a stabbing pain in my lung rou...

SSRI - Adverse Drug Reactions

Could a combination of the prescribed medications and supplements contribute to an adverse drug reaction?

Can fibromyalgia cause Bone Breaking Pain

Does the pain Fibromyalgia make you feel like your bones are breaking?

I am a woman and my mother has fibromyalgia, wh...

I am a woman and my mother has fibromyalgia, what are the chances, percent wise, that i would get it?

Botox Injections for Fibromyalgia-Myofascial Sy...

If miagrain headaches can be treated with Botox injections. Why wouldn't Botox be a treatment for fibromyalgia or my...

I need advice on finding a Dr. to treat fibrom...

Any advice on what type of doctor to go to for treatment of fibromyalgia? i got diagnosed by a rhumatologist.. she p...

Severe pain and repeated miscarriage, Help.

I am 23 years old and I am having a serious problem that no one can answer and no one can fix. I have serious joint ...

Fibromyalgia and autoimmune disorders

Dr, I've been seeing Doctors who can't figure my symptoms out. They are currently thinking autoimmune disease or fi...

Teenager with fibromyalgia

I have been suffering from chronic fatigue and joint aches for years even though I'm only 16. My doctor diagnosed me...

Pain in Legs and Arms for 2 Years

I am 20 years old have horrible leg and arm pains, for 2 and half years. mostly get it in the morning with stiffness...

Leg and arm pains

Pain relief for my fibromyalgia

When i was in 7th grade i was diagnosed with rheumetoid arthritis then after 20 yrs of knowing this my pcp ruled ra ...

Fibromyalgia : treatment alternatives

Almost 15 years ago, I was dx'd with Fibromyalgia. Due to a move I've had to find a new rheumatologist. This new doc...

Significance of low Carnitine levels

I am a 52 year old, 5 foot 9 inches, 160 pounds, white male. I am in fair to poor health due to suffering with fibro...

Tension in the legs

When I become stressed or am feeling uncomfortable about a situation my legs tighten up and i am hardly able to mov...

Fibromyalgia and the Weather

Can the weather (barometric pressure) affect fibromyalgia symptoms? Are there any precautions regarding lengthy air...

Hip Pain: Fibromyalgia or Weight Issue

Back in April of 2009, I opened up the front door of my house as I stepped into my house I got this intese shooting ...

Recently Diagnosed Fibromyalgia

I HAVE HAD MUSCLE ACHES AND PAINS FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS.NOW THEY HAVE BECOME PRETTY BAD. MY DOCTOR MENTIONED LYRICA AS...

Fibromyalgia - Seeking out a Second Opion

I was diagnosed with FMS without have any tender points. After reading about FMS, I discovered that I really did not...

Post Your Thoughts