Question :

Food Gets Stuck After Swallowing

Sometimes food gets stuck after I swallow it just below my throat, high up in my chest, sometimes it will take an hour to go down and I feel the lump there all the time, other times it will cause me to be sick but does not eject when I vommit, still stays there and I will stop vommiting when it eventually goes down

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 The feeling of having food stuck in your throat or chest is a condition referred to as dysphagia, and may be caused by either liquids or solid, it happens when the muscle in your esophagus doesn't relax enough to let food pass into your stomach.
Risk factors for dysphagia include smoking, excessive alcohol and even certain medications. Medical causes of dysphagia are the conditions that cause the esophagus to narrow like neuromuscular conditions, gastresophageal reflux disease (GERD) or may be due to tumors (benign or cancerous).
You will want to consult a gastroenterologist for examination, and if the esophageal dysphagia seems to be due to an esophageal muscle that doesn't relax, doctor may dilate your esophagus through an endoscopic procedure. If the problem is GERD, you may be given medications like antacids or proton pump inhibitors. Your doctor may also prescribe medications to relax your esophagus and prevent spasms. If the dysphagia is due to a tumor or other obstruction, surgery could be required.

Questions related to GERD

Difficulty Swallowing

In 2009, I was infrequently having difficulty swallowing. Usually, it would happen when having bread or pasta. Food w...

Burning abdomen after gall bladder surgery

I recently went to the doctor since I have been suffering from burning in my stomach. I had already had endometrios...

Digestive problem - Increased Indigestion and a...

I am suffering with constant stomach rumbling cramps and chronic indigestion.ialso feel like i have flu but no fever...

Stomach bloating and uneasiness lower abdomen

I am a south indian. I have a bloated stomach. I eat rice and proteins. Now quite frequently if i take more oily food...

Permanent Cure For Acid Reflux

What can permanently stop the acid reflux I have been having for so long?

Pain in sternum area after eating

I have sharp pains, spasms around my sternum area. Spasms will last around 4 to 5 minutes then stop for a few then b...

Burning neck sensation while coughing

I get a burning sensation at the nap of my neck when i strain my self, like coughing too much.

Why are reflux symptoms worse at night?

My name is michael and i am twenty years old i woke ever so often feeling the shortness of breath but it would go aw...

Why do I have this "stuck" sensation on my throat?

About March I went to a free clinic and was diagnosed with a paritonsillar abscess. I was treated for it with clynda...

Is Barrett's syndrome contraindicated for donat...

I have Barretts syndrome and just donated blood. I let them know the next day beccause I didn't realise it might be...

How long should antacids take effect?

I have recently been diagnosed with GERD and was given an Rx of Prilosec. I have been taking the medicine when I wa...

Pain and nausea in upper abdomen

I have nausea every single day, along with tenderness and swelling in my upper abdomen. A colonoscopy was negative, ...

Left upper abdomen pain and burning

I have been having an odd feeling in my left upper abdomen area, have had this dull ache for over a year now. My doc...

Nausea while trying to sleep

Hello, ocassionaly I feel naseous while lying down to go to sleep, but I will never vomit and it bothers my sleeping...

GERD symptoms getting worse despite avoiding ac...

Hi im 18 years old and have been suffering from i guess gerd for 7 years well the doctor hasnt fully told me i had i...

Constant Heartburn - due to acid reflux?

Dear Doctor. I am having constant heart burn. It feels like there is something constantly in my throat, it usually s...

Sensation of hair stuck in my throat

It feels like i have a hair stuck in my throat. I don't because I can eat or drink and it won't go away. What could...

Vomiting, Nausea, Migraines, Do I have GERD?

Dear Ask the Doctor, I have been to many doctors and specialists regarding my symptoms. I have taken multiple blood...

Esophagogastric endoscopy

Esophagogastric endoscopy? what kind of exam is this exactly? Thank you for your time.

Endoscopy procedure for GERD

I am scheduled for an endoscopy next week. So, of course, I hope to know more then. And, I fully expect to hear that...

Indications for surgery in colitis associated w...

I was admited to the hospital with severe aniema. I have had colitis for atleast ten years. The hospital had a doubl...

Refractory GERD symptoms despite appropriate tr...

About 3 years ago I started having terrible chest pains and was eventually diagnosed with GERD. I was put on Nexium...

difficulty diagnosing GERD

I am a 27 year old female who has been unable to see a family doctor for a period of two years. I rely on the ER due...

Surgery unwaiverable

Hi, my son had abdominal surgery when he was a few months old. he is 18 now and is trying to get into the navy. I do...

Upper stomach pain

I have been having an intense pain above my stomach on and off for over 2 days, no over the counter medicines are he...

Burning Epigastric Pain - Is this due to a stom...

For the past 3 years I have been suffering with a burning in my stomach area..sometimes lower in the stomach region....

What Else Can Cause GERD Symptoms?

I was diagnosed with GERD about a year ago. I have failed zantac, priolsec, protonics, nexium and am currently taki...

Post Your Thoughts