Question :

Heart Palpitations on low carbohydrate (Atkins Diet)

A couple of months ago I went on the atkins diet. I am 24 and suffered heart palpitations on m 3rd week. I weighed 224lbs and lost 10 pounds during the 3 weeks. At first on the diet I had so much energy and was working out 6 days a week for 30mins to an hour. It was incredible. I wasn't taking a multi-vitamin and started on the 3rd week. I suddenly lost my appetite. I don't think I was eating enough carbs. While lying in bed at night was when the heart palpitations were at it's worst. I felt dizzy too. Maybe it was anxiety because of the palpitations. Now I am on low cal diet and I'm just not getting the results I want. I really want to start the NEW Atkins diet, but I am afraid that the heart palpitations will start again. Should I go to a doctor and get blood work and his approval to start the diet again? I've never had an heart problems. I've always been healthy.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Low and very low-carbohydrate diets (e.g. The Atkins Diet) are more effective for short-term weight loss than low-fat diets, although probably not for long-term weight loss. An analysis of five trials found that the difference in weight loss at six months, favoring the low carbohydrate over low fat diet, was not sustained at 12 months. Therefore in reality they are only a short-term weight loss method. Some people describe the sensation of heart palpitations while lying down, especially in bed at night, often when they lie on their left side, which is the same side as the heart. These palpitations you describe may be your normal heart beat between 70-80 beats per minute. However if these symptoms are causing excessive anxiety, then I would advise attending your family doctor for an electrocardiogram (electrical trace of the heart) and a 24 hour Holter (heart) monitor, to check that your heart is beating in a normal rhythm (sinus rhythm) during these episodes, prior to starting a new weight loss regimen.

Questions related to Heart Health

Wall Motion Abnormalities

Apparently I had a hibernating myocardial and had a stent put in. Is this not a heart attack and a non serious issue

Heart issue: pain in left shoulder and arm and ...

Hi, I had some pain earlier in my right shoulder and arm. It has since subsided. My wife was exercising and the de...

Abnormal Heart beat rise at great speed

Hello..doctor!!! Good morning :) I am Santosh , male , 21 years old. Since one and half year, I see that my heartbe...

Sudden decrease in heart rate

My heart rate has gone down by 15-20 BPMs almost overnight, what could be going on? My heart rate has always been on ...

Heart Rate Concers about SSS?

I've always been concerned about my health as I suffer from bad anxiety and around 2/3 months ago I had some tests do...

Severe lower jaw pain

Doctor, I was woken up at 3 am by increasing pain in my jaw, that I had never experienced before. I have been very s...

Heart and headaches medications

Topmax and Maxalt My question is with my EKG being, can these medications cause further changes? sinus rhythm (sl...

Congenital Heart Defect Question

My daughter is 19 months old and was born full term. She has a 3mm Patent ductus arteriosus. Is that considered large?

EKG results but treated for headaches

I had a heart attack October 2013. It was not detected for 3 weeks. I had severe headaches , jaw pain nausea with my...

Heart Damage is it nor no Damage

Nuclear Imaging Nuclear Imaging show a very minimal residual area of anterior ischemia, but a marked improvement co...

24 hour Holter result

Hi. Im a 22 years old girl. I just got my 24 hours ekg holter results and i have a few days before i can go back to m...

Heart Health

Agatston score of 0.5, bp 120-130/80-90, overweight, Stress Echo results: Abnormal exercise stress ECG at 9.1 mets; N...

My heart rate

hello im a 30/f, my heart rate was going from 47 bpm to 147 bpm in secands, then a few hours latter i got verry cold ...

heart problems?

I am 19 years old male and weigh about 240 pounds. My average resting heart rate is 115 bpm. Is this something I shou...

Looking into having ablation surgery

Looking into having ablations surgery. I have a mechanical mitral valve, congested heart failure and afib and have be...

Post heart attack

I have a question in regards to post heart attack care. When is it safe to to return to normal exercise? And is nusal...

I am afraid that I am getting a heart attack

Hello doctor. I am 18 years old and I am afraid that I may get a heart attack..?

How hereditary is heart disease?

My husband has had a heart attack and a cardiac arrest at the age of 31. He did not have high blood pressure or chole...

trouble breathing in asthma patient

Hello my name is Paige I have having trouble breathing I have asthma I have had a inhaler but what's going on it hasn...

EKG

sinus rhythm (slow) vertical axis minor right-precordial repolarization disturbance, consider feminine pattern sm...

Worried about my heart health

Hello I am 17 years old and worried about my heart health. I think it may be anxiety but I'm not sure and hopping you...

Consistant heart palpitations & light heade...

Hello. I am 27 years old & for the past 2 days I have been experiencing heart palpitations every few minutes. I h...

Body rocking to heartbeat

I'm 22yo female, smoker for 3 years, half pack or less a day, healthy I suppose, and I've been experiencing these sym...

Tachycardia every day, for 10 years (140+ Resti...

For the last 10 years or so (Post 20th-birthday) i've had a very high heart rate, regardless of levels of activity. I...

Pain near the heart

Hi. Whenever I think of something that gets me super emotional, I get a streak of pain that goes from my upper heart ...

Post Your Thoughts