Question :

Anxiety related palpitations

I have noticed that whenever I am at work, which is a fast paced and stressful environment, I feel short of breath, have palpitations in my heart where I can feel it pounding hard, often feel weak, tired and light-headed. I had an ECG but it didnt reveal anything. I am worried that am developing a heart condition. Please help?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
There are several reasons why you may be experiencing palpitations or the sensation of your heart “pounding”. This may be anxiety related, due to abnormal thyroid function, or less commonly due to heart rhythm disturbances. If these only occur in a stressful or work environment, they may be due to anxiety. The only way to diagnose what is causing your symptoms is to record a heart tracing during these episodes. I advise attending your family doctor for a full history and clinical examination. He may refer you for a 24 hour Holter (heart) monitor, which records a 24 hour electrical trace of the heart and will check for any heart rhythm abnormalities. He may also check some blood tests, including thyroid function, and provide treatment options depending on the cause of your symptoms.

Questions related to Heart Health

Abnormal Heart beat rise at great speed

Hello..doctor!!! Good morning :) I am Santosh , male , 21 years old. Since one and half year, I see that my heartbe...

Sudden decrease in heart rate

My heart rate has gone down by 15-20 BPMs almost overnight, what could be going on? My heart rate has always been on ...

Heart Rate Concers about SSS?

I've always been concerned about my health as I suffer from bad anxiety and around 2/3 months ago I had some tests do...

Severe lower jaw pain

Doctor, I was woken up at 3 am by increasing pain in my jaw, that I had never experienced before. I have been very s...

Heart and headaches medications

Topmax and Maxalt My question is with my EKG being, can these medications cause further changes? sinus rhythm (sl...

Congenital Heart Defect Question

My daughter is 19 months old and was born full term. She has a 3mm Patent ductus arteriosus. Is that considered large?

EKG results but treated for headaches

I had a heart attack October 2013. It was not detected for 3 weeks. I had severe headaches , jaw pain nausea with my...

Heart Damage is it nor no Damage

Nuclear Imaging Nuclear Imaging show a very minimal residual area of anterior ischemia, but a marked improvement co...

24 hour Holter result

Hi. Im a 22 years old girl. I just got my 24 hours ekg holter results and i have a few days before i can go back to m...

Heart Health

Agatston score of 0.5, bp 120-130/80-90, overweight, Stress Echo results: Abnormal exercise stress ECG at 9.1 mets; N...

My heart rate

hello im a 30/f, my heart rate was going from 47 bpm to 147 bpm in secands, then a few hours latter i got verry cold ...

heart problems?

I am 19 years old male and weigh about 240 pounds. My average resting heart rate is 115 bpm. Is this something I shou...

Looking into having ablation surgery

Looking into having ablations surgery. I have a mechanical mitral valve, congested heart failure and afib and have be...

Post heart attack

I have a question in regards to post heart attack care. When is it safe to to return to normal exercise? And is nusal...

I am afraid that I am getting a heart attack

Hello doctor. I am 18 years old and I am afraid that I may get a heart attack..?

How hereditary is heart disease?

My husband has had a heart attack and a cardiac arrest at the age of 31. He did not have high blood pressure or chole...

trouble breathing in asthma patient

Hello my name is Paige I have having trouble breathing I have asthma I have had a inhaler but what's going on it hasn...

EKG

sinus rhythm (slow) vertical axis minor right-precordial repolarization disturbance, consider feminine pattern sm...

Worried about my heart health

Hello I am 17 years old and worried about my heart health. I think it may be anxiety but I'm not sure and hopping you...

Consistant heart palpitations & light heade...

Hello. I am 27 years old & for the past 2 days I have been experiencing heart palpitations every few minutes. I h...

Body rocking to heartbeat

I'm 22yo female, smoker for 3 years, half pack or less a day, healthy I suppose, and I've been experiencing these sym...

Tachycardia every day, for 10 years (140+ Resti...

For the last 10 years or so (Post 20th-birthday) i've had a very high heart rate, regardless of levels of activity. I...

Pain near the heart

Hi. Whenever I think of something that gets me super emotional, I get a streak of pain that goes from my upper heart ...

Heart Pain

heart problem

My father -in - law age 52yr already had a heart surgery before 2yrs bt frm last month they are havng fever twice in ...

Post Your Thoughts