Question :

Heartburn now throwing up bile

My husband has heartburn 24 7 for the past four months. He is 48, doesn't smoke or chew. At night, it gets so bad he is throwing up bile. A week ago his regular doctor gave him Omeprazale, but that is only slightly helping. He can't get into the GI Doctor for another two weeks. Any suggestions?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Vomiting bile is a serious issue and requires an urgent appointment with a doctor. There could be several causes of bilious vomiting, these are :
i) Intestinal blockage - If there is some kind of obstruction in the intestine that is not allowing the food to enter through it, the food along with bile can travel back to the stomach. Intestinal obstruction is typically marked by severe abdominal pain. Abdominal pain is typically accompanied by frequent bouts of green vomiting. Most importantly, the person feels constipated and there is the absence of bowel movement.
ii) Alcohol Intolerance - It is observed that heavy drinkers are prone to this type of vomiting. It indicates the body's inability to absorb too much alcohol consumption.
iii) Gastroenteritis - Frequent episodes of vomiting bile have also been linked to gastroenteritis. Also, referred to as stomach flu, this is a viral infection of the stomach resulting from consuming contaminated food and water.
iv) Food allergies - Food allergies can be yet another reason behind vomiting bile. Eating certain foods that the person is allergic to, triggers an unexpected immune response forcing him to vomit the ingested food.

Questions related to Heartburn and GERD

i have chest burning

I have a pulsecating burning in left chest. is this a problem no other systoms

Do I have a stomach virus or is it just an IBS ...

Hi, I am a 17 year old female and I had my gallbladder removed 7 months ago (August) and haven't felt well since then...

Chest muscle pain and heartburn

Most morning i wake up with a sore chest, its always just above my left breast. it feels like i've pulled a muscle o...

Barrett Oesophagus with low grade dysplasia

I have the result of my gastroscopy biopsy and it reads "evidence of Barrett Metaplasia" but when I went to see my G...

Stomach irritation after eating ghost peppers

My 15 yr old son ate three Ghost peppers a week ago. He is still having a irritated stomach and eating normal foods ...

Chest pain after a viral infection

Hi there. i have recently had a really bad viral infecton for about 5 days, the doctor has put me on antibiotics, ...

Heartburn or Indigestion?

A few months ago I had discomfort in the sternum area. Just where the breast meets the sternum. I had another episod...

Spinal disc surgery and heartburn connected?

I am 20 years old female. I had spinal disc surgery nearly two months ago (June 9) and for the first week I had cons...

GERD and severe stabbing abdominal pain

Hi, i am writing on behalf of a friend. He had been diagnosed with having IBS when he was 13, without a colonoscopy,...

Abdominal and Chest Discomfort- GERD?

Well, I am 19, healthy, a bit overweight, but overall good shape. I have had no prior problems involving my chest. I...

Indigestion and inability to eat - esophagitis?

Hi, I am an 18 year old female and lately I have just been having the worst time. About a month ago, I threw up in t...

Painful intestine and heart burn

Im experiencing heartburn with pain on my left side around the area pf my intestin,from my chest to my navel area. T...

Long history of heartburn: Further management

I have had heartburn every day for the last 2 years. I take pepcid ac everyday to relieve it. Is it dangerous? Is th...

Acid reflux, none of the given tablets work

Hello, i've been suffering from the acid reflux in the past 6months, i've been taking omeprazole 20mg, then lanzopra...

Esophagitis and black mold

My husband has worked in a building with black mold growing on the drywall for 9 months, could this cause...

Chewing tobacco cessation and heartburn

I quit chewing tobacco about a month ago but now I have really bad heartburn. I had been using chewing tobacco since...

Heartburn

I have had accessive heartburn for three days not i have tried tums rolaids, prevacid and milk. nothing is helping i...

Heartburn and reflux

What are the real reasons that cause heartburn and reflux and are Prilosec and other drugs like it safe to take over...

Heartburn at night due to GERD

Typically I'm going to bed between 9:30 and 11:00. If I eat after 7pm, I wake up in the night with heartburn and fee...

Post Your Thoughts