Question :

Hemorrhoid in Young Male

Yesterday I noticed blood in the toilet water after a bowel movement. When I wiped, there was a significant amount of blood there too, enough for concern anyway. It was bright red blood. The movement was larger than normal which leads me to think that that is the cause but I am not sure. I have gone twice since then and the 2nd time, there was a little residual blood but not much at all. This morning, there was no blood at all. I am a 31 yo male and I am in very good health. This seems to be an isolated incident. Should I wait to see if it happens again or is a one time occurance cause enough to see a doctor?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Blood can be a scary site when ever it does occur.  The decision to see a doctor is not an easy one -  It is helpful to observe symptoms over a period of time if you are feeling otherwise well and stable.  Reasons to see your doctor sooner would be an increase in rectal bleeding over time, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or fevers.
Bright red blood from the rectal area most often is an indication of Hemorrhoids in young males.
Hemorrhoids are swollen veins in your anal area. The hemorrhoid may be internal or external. 
Conditions that may lead to hemorrhoids include genetics, pregnancy (doesn't apply to you), obesity and heavy lifting. Other conditions that force you to strain such as constipation or persistent coughing also lead to an increased incidence of hemorrhoids.
The pain of hemorrhoids can be relieved by taking warm baths, applying ice to the area, using over the counter pain medications or hemorrhoid creams.
Future incidences of hemorrhoids can be reduced or prevented by maintaining a healthy diet rich in fruit, vegetables and fiber; drinking plenty of water; maintaining a healthy weight by exercising.
While hemorrhoids themselves are benign, a visit to the doctor is appropriate to rule out more serious causes of anal bleeding - especially when the symptoms have not resolved after 1 week.
I hope this helps

Questions related to Hemorrhoids

Leaking Stool after each bowel movements.

Why do i have leaking stool after each time i used the toilet?

Occasional dark blood after bowel movement ... ...

Hello, for the past several years I have noticed some blood when evacuating my bowels and have assumed it is from hem...

Soft lumps on anus hemorrhoids or something else?

About a year ago I had what I believed to be a hemorrhoid that bled badly for a couple of days. It was quite painful ...

Possible hemmorhoids?

Hi, my name is Patrick and I am 21. I believe I may have hemorrhoids. last winter in December or January I had bloo...

Hard bump underneath skin on buttock

I have found a small bump on my buttock with a hard nodule beneath it, what could this be?

Anus pain

Hi, I am a 27 yr old female and have recently been suffering with pain during passing my stools.There is severe pain...

Pain in anus as I have external hemorrhoids

I have external hemorrhoids. And one day there was a shooting pain inside. so I did a normal check by inserting my fi...

Small lump in anal region, is this haemorrhoids?

Hi my names Shelley I'm 19 and 5'9 I've been experiencing some problems with my rectal area. I first experienced some...

Are these Hemorrhoids? Blood in stool.

I have been having very painful, bloody bowel movements for a while now. My stools are usually soft and normal in col...

Post Pile Surgery Possible Infection

I have had a diagnosed thrombosed external pile. I have had surgery on it. I feel some slight, but not extreme itchin...

Ongoing painful haemorrhoids

I've had hemorrhoids now for about 4 months, only one of which is external. I've tried a number of creams but nothing...

Hemorrhoids itching with fluids

Hello, i am 23 years old. male. i have hemorrhoids(piles) for the last 6-7 years. when the symptoms first occurred, i...

Constant light Red Blood in Stool. Is it Hemorr...

What could it mean if you have constant light red blood in your stool?

Treatment of Hemorrhoids using Suppositories

Hi, I have a Hemorrhoids and a doctor saw it about a year ago, and she told me it is small and will not get bigger a...

External hemorrhoids not relieved on medication

Hi im 28yrs old male, 2 weeks ago i felt tender sitting down and upon further inspection found a small lump on the i...

painful bleeding rectum, hemorrhoids or anal fi...

Hello,over 2yrs ago i had laser procedure perfomred by my gastro to treat some minor hemorroids. during the exam it...

Bleeding external Hemmorhoid Help

I have had an external Hemmorrhoid for approximately 6 days. it started to bleed, quite heavily, 48-72 hours ago and...

Hemorroids - How to treat Itching and Inflammat...

Aside from going with what's already stated on this website how can I get rid of the rather substantial inflamation?

Should I avoid going to gym if I have Hemorrhoid?

Can I still go to the gym if I have a haemorrhoid

Lump near Anus - could it be due to cancer?

A few days ago, I felt a little bump near my anus while cleaning myself. It is of the size of a pea. It does not hur...

Blood in my stools with lot of pain

I hav blood in my stool and a lot of pain

Excessive skin left from hemorrhoids

I have extra skin left outside the anus from past hemorrhoids. Is it safe for me to band them in order to get rid o...

Bloodly Bowel Movement

Never had this problem before. Had bowel movment this morning and toilet water was red with blood. Had to strain som...

Surgery for hemorrhiod with plavix and aspirin

My mother has Hemorrhoids and doctors say that she has to make surgery but on same time she is using plavix twice a...

Anal fissure

Hello I have been having problems I believe with a fissure at my rectum it has been really bothersome and I have bee...

Irritation in the anal area.

Im having promblems with my bum im getting tingling all the time now its getting sore as i keep washing it what is...

What is the treatment of anal abscess

Hello doctor, i am suffering from hemorrhoid problem for the last 2 weeks, i had constipation at that time and i sta...

Recovery time for Anal Abscess?

I had a thrombosed hemmroid lanced, then it became an abscess. The abcess bursted and the surgeon cleaned it out and...

Pain in anus after ear surgery

I had surgery on my ear about a month ago. I was on strong antibiotics for about two weeks afterward and I developed...

Hemorrhoids or Anal Cancer?

I apologize for the length of my post, but I want to be thorough. I am a 42 year old woman. I have had large lumps d...

Lot of blood in stools, not better with medicines.

Hi i have had wat i think might be hemroids but when i went to the doctor you couldnt feel or see them on the out si...

Bleeding hemorrhoids, should I go see a doctor?

I have had piles for a week now and two days ago whilst passing a stool the pile started to bleed and does so everyt...

Hemorrhoids with Excessive Blood, What Treatmen...

Everything 'that began nearly a month ago .. I suffer from hemorrhoids for many years but I never had problems with ...

Severe ananl pain after each bowel movement

I have been suffering for a while now from anal severe pain and spasm right after any bowl movement. The anus become...

Pain three months after hemorrhoid surgery.

I had surgery about three months ago for internal hemorrhoids. I am still in a lot of pain. I have another appointme...

Pain months after hemorrhoid surgery

I had hemorrhoid surgery a few months back and I feel that I am not healing right. I have to go to the bathroom abo...

Having hemorrhoids week before menstruation

Doctor, I get hemmoroids a week before my period? Is this normal? How can I prevent it? Thank you

Minor rectal bleeding on toilet paper

I am a 29yo white male. Since April 2007 I have had repeated incidents of discovering bright red drops of blood on m...

Rectal Problem and increased staining

Hello, I have a persistant problem where after i have been to the toilet it takes forever to wipe clean. However th...

What leads to blood in stools.

Hi i have just gone to the toliet and i have found blood in my poo and i have never seen this before, im only 19 yea...

Rectal bleeding for almost three weeks, Help

I have always experienced blood in stool ever 5-6 months for about a week for the past 5 years. It usually does corr...

When Do Hemorrhoids Need Surgery?

What are treatment for piles and when is surgery considered?

Possible Colon cancer or hemorrhoids?

Hello Doctors, how you guys are having a good night. I have a question, recently I've been constipated its been pain...

Rectal Bleeding: Is it due to hemorhoids?

A few days ago I noticed some blood on the toilet paper. Which, immediately scared me and caused me to have an anxie...

Rectal Bleeding: What is the cause?

I have rectal bleeding when I put pressure when going to the toilet. There is no blood when stools come from deeper ...

Freezing hemorrhoid with wart remover

I have an external hemmorroid that doesn't seem to be going away. Can I use the freeze off wart remover on it? When...

Hemmorrohoids and course of treatment

I recently got hemorrhoids and treating it to the best of my knowledge. How long does it take for it to go away comp...

Blood on toliet paper: Causes?

Hi, my name is TJ, I'm male, I weigh between 150-160lbs. And I'm 5'9 tall. Latly, after I take a poop and start wipi...

Bright red rectal bleeding - hemorrhoids? Pleas...

Rectal bleeding heavily bright red,everytime i have bowell movement for two days now should i go to hospital

Blood With Stool

Okay just got done with my bowel momvement and then looked down and saw what i say looked like fruit punch the first...

Post Your Thoughts