Question :

Blood on toliet paper: Causes?

Hi, my name is TJ, I'm male, I weigh between 150-160lbs. And I'm 5'9 tall. Latly, after I take a poop and start wiping my butt, small spots of bright red blood will be on the toliet paper. It's not everytime either. And it's never a large amount of blood. It's very small amounts. And only when I wiping my butt. I don't know what this is, and I'm very worried. Sometimes I feel constipated, I don't know if that has anything to do with this, and I always drink 1-2 energy drinks to keep me going almost everyday. I dont know if that effects anything. I'm really worried about this, I am a smoker too, so the first thing that came to mind was cancer, even though my butt has nothing to do with my lungs. It doesn't hurt when I poop or anything, just small random spots of blood when I wipe. Sometimes I do push to get it out, and sometimes my poop, let's just say, seems to be to wide for such a small hole.... Sorry, I didn't know how else to say that. Please, please, please help me!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I can certainely understand your concern and worry. From the symptoms that you have mentioned it seems that you may be having some internal or external hemorrhoids or an anal fissure which is leading to the bleeding. Hemorrhoids are clusters of blood vessels which can either be present outside the rectal area or inside the rectum. Anal fissure is a tear in the normal mucosa ie the wall of the rectum and thus it leads to bleeding. Either way both these conditions occur when one has chronic constipation or hard stools. You can use some topical ointment or gel like anusol on this area . However long term treatment wise you need to drink more water during the day, increase the amount of fibre in your diet by increasing the intake of grains, fresh green vegetables etc. In case you are chronically constipated you could also take some over the counter meds like colace or metamucil which will help relieve the bowels. In case the bleeding continues or gets worse please see you family doctor. All the best.

Questions related to Hemorrhoids

Leaking Stool after each bowel movements.

Why do i have leaking stool after each time i used the toilet?

Occasional dark blood after bowel movement ... ...

Hello, for the past several years I have noticed some blood when evacuating my bowels and have assumed it is from hem...

Soft lumps on anus hemorrhoids or something else?

About a year ago I had what I believed to be a hemorrhoid that bled badly for a couple of days. It was quite painful ...

Possible hemmorhoids?

Hi, my name is Patrick and I am 21. I believe I may have hemorrhoids. last winter in December or January I had bloo...

Hard bump underneath skin on buttock

I have found a small bump on my buttock with a hard nodule beneath it, what could this be?

Anus pain

Hi, I am a 27 yr old female and have recently been suffering with pain during passing my stools.There is severe pain...

Pain in anus as I have external hemorrhoids

I have external hemorrhoids. And one day there was a shooting pain inside. so I did a normal check by inserting my fi...

Small lump in anal region, is this haemorrhoids?

Hi my names Shelley I'm 19 and 5'9 I've been experiencing some problems with my rectal area. I first experienced some...

Are these Hemorrhoids? Blood in stool.

I have been having very painful, bloody bowel movements for a while now. My stools are usually soft and normal in col...

Post Pile Surgery Possible Infection

I have had a diagnosed thrombosed external pile. I have had surgery on it. I feel some slight, but not extreme itchin...

Ongoing painful haemorrhoids

I've had hemorrhoids now for about 4 months, only one of which is external. I've tried a number of creams but nothing...

Hemorrhoids itching with fluids

Hello, i am 23 years old. male. i have hemorrhoids(piles) for the last 6-7 years. when the symptoms first occurred, i...

Constant light Red Blood in Stool. Is it Hemorr...

What could it mean if you have constant light red blood in your stool?

Treatment of Hemorrhoids using Suppositories

Hi, I have a Hemorrhoids and a doctor saw it about a year ago, and she told me it is small and will not get bigger a...

External hemorrhoids not relieved on medication

Hi im 28yrs old male, 2 weeks ago i felt tender sitting down and upon further inspection found a small lump on the i...

painful bleeding rectum, hemorrhoids or anal fi...

Hello,over 2yrs ago i had laser procedure perfomred by my gastro to treat some minor hemorroids. during the exam it...

Bleeding external Hemmorhoid Help

I have had an external Hemmorrhoid for approximately 6 days. it started to bleed, quite heavily, 48-72 hours ago and...

Hemorroids - How to treat Itching and Inflammat...

Aside from going with what's already stated on this website how can I get rid of the rather substantial inflamation?

Should I avoid going to gym if I have Hemorrhoid?

Can I still go to the gym if I have a haemorrhoid

Lump near Anus - could it be due to cancer?

A few days ago, I felt a little bump near my anus while cleaning myself. It is of the size of a pea. It does not hur...

Blood in my stools with lot of pain

I hav blood in my stool and a lot of pain

Excessive skin left from hemorrhoids

I have extra skin left outside the anus from past hemorrhoids. Is it safe for me to band them in order to get rid o...

Bloodly Bowel Movement

Never had this problem before. Had bowel movment this morning and toilet water was red with blood. Had to strain som...

Surgery for hemorrhiod with plavix and aspirin

My mother has Hemorrhoids and doctors say that she has to make surgery but on same time she is using plavix twice a...

Anal fissure

Hello I have been having problems I believe with a fissure at my rectum it has been really bothersome and I have bee...

Post Your Thoughts