Question :

Pain three months after hemorrhoid surgery.

I had surgery about three months ago for internal hemorrhoids. I am still in a lot of pain. I have another appointment in two weeks. Is it possible they left staples in me? I have been back to the doctor numerous times and the only thing that helps with the pain is laying in the tub. I work and attend college so the tub relief can be used when I am home.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It is not uncommon for other peri-anal conditions to be associated with hemorrhoids, These conditions include anal fissure and fistulas which may be quite painful. If your surgeon has not investigated you for these conditions, he/she should.
Depending on the type of hemorrhoid surgery you had, it is possible that staples were used. However, the use of staples is not know to cause chronic pain after surgery unless there was inadvertent damage to other structures such as nerves.
There is also the possibility that your current problems are completely unrelated to you r previous hemorrhoids. There is a condition called Proctalgia Fugax which presents as recurrent, acute pain in the anus which is sometimes relieved by a warm bath. This is certainly a possible explanation based on the symptoms you have described. On your next visit to the surgeon be sure to inform him/her of all your issues so that a thorough examination can be performed and the appropriate test ordered to elucidate the condition.

Questions related to Hemorrhoids

Leaking Stool after each bowel movements.

Why do i have leaking stool after each time i used the toilet?

Occasional dark blood after bowel movement ... ...

Hello, for the past several years I have noticed some blood when evacuating my bowels and have assumed it is from hem...

Soft lumps on anus hemorrhoids or something else?

About a year ago I had what I believed to be a hemorrhoid that bled badly for a couple of days. It was quite painful ...

Possible hemmorhoids?

Hi, my name is Patrick and I am 21. I believe I may have hemorrhoids. last winter in December or January I had bloo...

Hard bump underneath skin on buttock

I have found a small bump on my buttock with a hard nodule beneath it, what could this be?

Anus pain

Hi, I am a 27 yr old female and have recently been suffering with pain during passing my stools.There is severe pain...

Pain in anus as I have external hemorrhoids

I have external hemorrhoids. And one day there was a shooting pain inside. so I did a normal check by inserting my fi...

Small lump in anal region, is this haemorrhoids?

Hi my names Shelley I'm 19 and 5'9 I've been experiencing some problems with my rectal area. I first experienced some...

Are these Hemorrhoids? Blood in stool.

I have been having very painful, bloody bowel movements for a while now. My stools are usually soft and normal in col...

Post Pile Surgery Possible Infection

I have had a diagnosed thrombosed external pile. I have had surgery on it. I feel some slight, but not extreme itchin...

Ongoing painful haemorrhoids

I've had hemorrhoids now for about 4 months, only one of which is external. I've tried a number of creams but nothing...

Hemorrhoids itching with fluids

Hello, i am 23 years old. male. i have hemorrhoids(piles) for the last 6-7 years. when the symptoms first occurred, i...

Constant light Red Blood in Stool. Is it Hemorr...

What could it mean if you have constant light red blood in your stool?

Treatment of Hemorrhoids using Suppositories

Hi, I have a Hemorrhoids and a doctor saw it about a year ago, and she told me it is small and will not get bigger a...

External hemorrhoids not relieved on medication

Hi im 28yrs old male, 2 weeks ago i felt tender sitting down and upon further inspection found a small lump on the i...

painful bleeding rectum, hemorrhoids or anal fi...

Hello,over 2yrs ago i had laser procedure perfomred by my gastro to treat some minor hemorroids. during the exam it...

Bleeding external Hemmorhoid Help

I have had an external Hemmorrhoid for approximately 6 days. it started to bleed, quite heavily, 48-72 hours ago and...

Hemorroids - How to treat Itching and Inflammat...

Aside from going with what's already stated on this website how can I get rid of the rather substantial inflamation?

Should I avoid going to gym if I have Hemorrhoid?

Can I still go to the gym if I have a haemorrhoid

Lump near Anus - could it be due to cancer?

A few days ago, I felt a little bump near my anus while cleaning myself. It is of the size of a pea. It does not hur...

Blood in my stools with lot of pain

I hav blood in my stool and a lot of pain

Excessive skin left from hemorrhoids

I have extra skin left outside the anus from past hemorrhoids. Is it safe for me to band them in order to get rid o...

Bloodly Bowel Movement

Never had this problem before. Had bowel movment this morning and toilet water was red with blood. Had to strain som...

Surgery for hemorrhiod with plavix and aspirin

My mother has Hemorrhoids and doctors say that she has to make surgery but on same time she is using plavix twice a...

Anal fissure

Hello I have been having problems I believe with a fissure at my rectum it has been really bothersome and I have bee...

Post Your Thoughts