Question :

Hepatits C and chronic nose bleeds

I am looking for information on hepatitis c and chronic nosebleeds. My fiance had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery in August 2011 for a deviated septum and was told this would stop the nose bleeds. He doed have hepatitis c and I understand that nose bleeds can happen with this condition. His nose bleeds have gotten worse since the surgery in frequency, severity and intensity. We went to en ENT doctor who said it was just a dry nose and to use saline and vaseline in his nose. As soon as we would do either it would start to bleed but we still use both.I am not sure what else could be causing his nose to bleed so much. He goes through a roll of toilet paper almost every time his nose bleeds. I am doing research to no avail Pleasae help.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I do understand your concern for your fiance's nose bleed. It is true that nose bleeds are associated with hepatitis C. In my opinion, your fiance's nose bleed could be due to either a lack of clotting factors because of the liver damage or due to an autoimmune (idiopathic) thrombocytopenic purpura due to hepatitis C infection. I would suggest that your fiance consult a gastroenterologist and a hematologist for further evaluation of his condition. The investigation that he may be required to do are a complete blood count, peripheral blood smear, liver function tests, clotting factors, platelet levels and viral levels of hepatitis C to determine the cause of his bleeding. Treatment will depend on the cause and correction of the clotting parameters. I hope the answer helps you, I wish your fiance a prompt recovery, take carer.

Questions related to Hepatitis

Elevated liver enzyme (alt) and autoimmune hepa...

Dear Doctor, I recently had complete blood-work done. Everything was fine except for an isolated enzyme increase ...

Hello, 26-year-old Hispanic female, with levels...

I'm a 25 year old Hispanic female. I'm overweight as I am only 4'11 and weight 140 lbs. Enclosed are my latest result...

What tests are covered?

Hi, my boyfriend is a deputy and he just had his annual physical tests done. They originally told him he had high blo...

Could it be cirrosis

About 4 years ago,My brother was cured of hepC, he did series of shots for one year. Liver biopsy show no damage. Bef...

Can you get the hepatitis shot if you have hepa...

My doctor says I have hepatitis A, because my live count is high, I want to know how to get the liver count down? I ...

Hepatitis B vaccination. I already got 2 out of...

About the Hepatitis B vaccination. I already got 2 out of the three doses, but due to certain circumstances I was no...

Can I get Hepatitis or HIV from consuming vomit...

Dear Doctor, I'm 17 years old from Amsterdam (Europe), something happened to me which makes me really scared and need...

Can i get hepatitis from blood to skin contact?

I came into contact with someone who has hepatitis he had a cut on his arm and he licked his fingers to clean the wou...

Raised SGOT, Hepatitis B or Fatty liver?

Hi Doctors!i hope you can help me, im 22 years old, female weighing 119Kg, recently i had a sprained foot so i went ...

Hepatitis C and relationships

I found out a man that wants to date me has Hepatitis C. This scares me. If I did date him is their a major risk of ...

Is it safe to breast feed if mother has Hepatit...

Hepatitis was infected to my wife while she was pregnant. After giving birth, the baby was given injection to preven...

Can i be hepatitis B negative again?

I have been diagnosed of having hepatitis B though i feel very strong and healthy. my doctor says my case is the chro...

Can Hepatitis C cause rashes?

Can active Hep C also be repsonisble for a rash on the inside of my lower legs above the ankles?

Hepititis B and C, What steps should I take?

I just found out that I have hepatitis b and c and i was wondering what steps I should take next because I do not ha...

Hepatits C and conception

My partner has had Hep C for 20 years and remains healthy. We want to try for a baby. How can I conceive without b...

Hepatitis A - What happens with no treatment?

What can happen if i dont get treated for hepatitis A?

Can Hepatitis B spread through saliva?

Hi Doctor, my father is hep b carrier. can the virus spread by sharing spoon, bowl etc. will the virus live 1 week i...

Get Infected with Hepatitis B if I ingest Saliva?

A new client I am taking care of has hep B. Taking care includes spoon feeding, diaper changing, transfers between c...

I have Fatty Liver and now I Think I Have Hepat...

A week ago I started to pee darker than usual, i feel no pain at all, I believe that is hepatitis because my eyes st...

Can I take Twinrix vaccination if I have liver ...

I have liver cirrohis and would like to know if I can safely take twinrix, My liver function tests are normal,and ha...

Are Hep B shots needed if a person is already i...

Should the person who already got infected to Hepatitis B continue to get their Hepatitis B vaccine injections?

Can I still acquire Hep C even after the earrin...

I've had a pair of earrings sitting in my room for about a month. The seller said they've never been used but I want...

HbsAb positive and its significance

I am HbsAb positive. My mother got infected when she was pregnant with me? cAN i INFECT MY HUSBAND OR CHILDEREN OR A...

What does "subtherapeutic level" mean?

I am on Imuran for autoiummune hepatitis. I just had the metabolism of the drug measured and my doctor said that the...

Hepititis and how contagious is it?

I had sex with a guy that had hepatitis b. How contagious is it?

Post Your Thoughts