Question :

Bulge after hernia repair

Hello. I had an inguinal hernia for about ten years prior to having surgery. Never had any pain, until about the last year, where it started to develope next to my testicles and got increasingly larger very quickly, which is the reason I had the surgery. About 2 months post surgery, I still had a lump which looked the same as it did before it started moving out of my groin and next to the testicles. So I had it checked out by the same surgeon that did the repair, but he wasnt worried at all and said it was fine. It's now been three years, and the bulge is still there. I cant push it back in like I use to before the surgery, and doesnt seem to change regardless of standing or switching positions, though it does get painful if I workout over a period of time, which is something I never had a problem with prior to surgery. Is this bulge normal? Like scar tissue or something? Or should I get it check out once again? Thank you.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
The bulge you feel is most likely to be scar tissue and the pain associated with it at times is from an entrapped nerve. There is a possibility that the bulge is a recurrence of the previous hernia. Recurrent hernias dont always have the same symptoms as scar tissue prevents them from moving as freely as unrepaired hernias.

Questions related to Hernia

Does an un- operated inguinal hernia can cause...

Good evening , i am ranjan 23yrs age . suffering from inguinal hernia from 6 months,feeling discomfort after standin...

Grape sized femoral hernia

Grape sized femoral hernia that is painful when pushed for over a week, diarrhea for 2days is this related and an eme...

inguinal hernia and leg swelling

I am asking this questions for my husband who is a 65 year old male. 11 years ago he had Biliopancreatic roux-en-Y w...

abdominal pain weight gain

Hi there, I have gained 5 stone in half a year, a month ago or so I had a pain in my stomach where my naval is and a ...

Small bump

I have a small bump to the left of my bellow button that is sensitive to touch and becomes painful after certain exer...

Bellybutton piercing on removed hernia

can i get my bellybutton pierced after i had a herniated belly button removed when I was 9 months because it was gro...

Pain under belly Button

Not sure if I have a hernia. I found a small size lump about a quarter inch below my belly button. It is very tender ...

What do I do after a hernia

what do I do after a hernia

Gall Bladder and Umbilical cord surgery at same...

can my Mom have, gallbladder removal and umbilical hernia repaired with one surgery at same time?

Fell over lifting a 70kg stack. Stuck in a coun...

Hello, I am a syrian citisen but I currently live in Turkey.I work hard labour though I am unfit to do so. I was lif...

Is it possible that I have an inguinal hernia t...

A few weeks ago I noticed a very large pimple in the pubic region. It popped after pressure was applied, however a l...

Possible hernia of my left testicle

I think I might have a hernia. I don't know for sure though, I one day got in the shower, and was washing my body whe...

Swollen and painful right testicle

so pain in my right testis and its become kinda larger before 2 days please help me my age is 20 and im a male pleas...

16 year old with possibility of hernia

Hello I am 16 years old and i think i have a hernia, i looked online for an explanation for a Swollen/lump on my groi...

umbilical hernia or possible cancer?

umbilical hernia or possible cancer

Hernia-laprocopy surgery

Stomach bloating and full of gas inside the small intestine,looks like small intestine not working after the surgery....

Please help me figure out why?

My husband thinks he may have a hernia...but what symptoms do younhave with a hernia?.. and he is hurting in his mid...

Can I do Zumba with Hiatal hernia? What other e...

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia they told me it was small. My question is Can i do zumba workout with having a ...

Continuing Running Program with Suspected Hernia

I am a 54 year old woman, physically fit. I have a small lump beside my pubic bone, in my groin. I discovered it abo...

Chest pains and hiatal hernia

I have been having stomach trouble and scheduled a scope but have not had it yet due to the fact they need so much m...

Possible Diastasis recti post hernia repair

I had a hernia oper. about 6 years ago .its about 4 in above belly button since then i have large lump where the sca...

Diagnosis of Hiatal hernia

So if you have galblader surgery would the doctor be able to tell if you have a hiatal hernia while preforming the g...

When to drink after surgery

Hi I have Umbilical Hernia my question is how long should i wait after the surgery so that i can start consuming a...

Possible causes of a groin lump in a cheerleader

I have a bulge on my groin. It doesn't hurt but I know its their without looking at it. especially when I go to the ...

Umbilical hernia, do I need to go to a doctor?

I have just noticed a small umbilical hernia -- I pushed the pinkie-sized bud back in -- so far I am assymptomatic -...

Post Your Thoughts