Bulge after hernia repair

Dear Ask The Doctor:  Hello. I had an inguinal hernia for about ten years prior to having surgery. Never had any pain, until about the last year, where it started to develope next to my testicles and got increasingly larger very quickly, which is the reason I had the surgery. About 2 months post surgery, I still had a lump which looked the same as it did before it started moving out of my groin and next to the testicles. So I had it checked out by the same surgeon that did the repair, but he wasnt worried at all and said it was fine. It's now been three years, and the bulge is still there. I cant push it back in like I use to before the surgery, and doesnt seem to change regardless of standing or switching positions, though it does get painful if I workout over a period of time, which is something I never had a problem with prior to surgery. Is this bulge normal? Like scar tissue or something? Or should I get it check out once again? Thank you. 

Dear Patient:  The bulge you feel is most likely to be scar tissue and the pain associated with it at times is from an entrapped nerve. There is a possibility that the bulge is a recurrence of the previous hernia. Recurrent hernias dont always have the same symptoms as scar tissue prevents them from moving as freely as unrepaired hernias.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for