Question :

Pain post ventral hernia repair

I am 48, healthy and physically fit, weightlifter; 6 weeks out from an open ventral hernia repair with mesh placement. I had post op hematoma, subsequent superficial wound infection which was drained and is healing in using wet to dry normal saline dressings. It is 95% healed in, and looks healthy without drainage. I continue to have a pain never previously experienced until after surgery....it is in the right quadrant, at the level (or slightly below) of my navel and mid way between my navel and my iliac crest. It is sharp, and intermittent. It seems worse after eating. I can get it just while seated in a chair. Nothing in particular precipitates the pain that I can identify. I have no fever, nausea or vomiting. My bowel habits are normal. My GP had a CT scan done to rule out appendicitis, that came back clear. The CT scan was unremarkable overall. The Surgeon did note from the CT scan films that the mesh my operating physician used, which typically in his experience is supposed to be "flush" with the abdomen, is shaped more like a "badminton" with the mesh edges cupped downward into my abdominal cavity on CT. Could this cause pain? The original surgeon who did my surgery is no longer in the practice (took a new job elsewhere). The surgeon who is following me within the practice said he doesn't think the mesh is the cause of my pain - he went on to say that he doesn't typically use the mesh that the other surgeon does, and his mesh is always "flat against the abdominal wall." Do you have any idea what could be causing my abdominal pain? No one seems to know. It is very irritating. The pain started about 2 1/2 weeks after the original surgery. My original hernia was painless, though there was a palpable bulge above my belly button. This post operative pain is in an area that seems to me, totally unrelated. Could there be referral pain from the mesh? A second question: Is it safe to totally resume weightlifting. My surgeon did say I could do whatever I wanted to after 6 weeks...but I have heard others who said their doctor said an absolute NO to any abdominal exercises or heavy weightlifting. I want to avoid the chance of reoccurence at all costs! I am a very active person, and very use to core ex. and weights. What are your thoughts on both the abdominal pain, and the weight lifting/core exercise questions? THANK YOU in advance for any help you can provide.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I would advise no exercises which may increase your intra-abdominal pressure as this could cause a recurrence of the hernia. You avoid these exercises for at least 6 months after surgery.
Though it is possible, I dont think the mesh is the cause of your abdominal pain. Some of your symptoms suggest possible gallstones disease although your pain is not in the typical location. Another possiblity is muscular injury. An ultrasound of the abdomen is quite useful inĀ  identifying the two. In fact, an ultrasound if better at identifying gallstones than a CT scan. If a thorough examination and workup does not reveal the cause of your pain then it may be assumed that the mesh is the cuase of your pain and you may then opt for repositioning.

Questions related to Hernia

Grape sized femoral hernia

Grape sized femoral hernia that is painful when pushed for over a week, diarrhea for 2days is this related and an eme...

inguinal hernia and leg swelling

I am asking this questions for my husband who is a 65 year old male. 11 years ago he had Biliopancreatic roux-en-Y w...

abdominal pain weight gain

Hi there, I have gained 5 stone in half a year, a month ago or so I had a pain in my stomach where my naval is and a ...

Small bump

I have a small bump to the left of my bellow button that is sensitive to touch and becomes painful after certain exer...

Bellybutton piercing on removed hernia

can i get my bellybutton pierced after i had a herniated belly button removed when I was 9 months because it was gro...

Pain under belly Button

Not sure if I have a hernia. I found a small size lump about a quarter inch below my belly button. It is very tender ...

What do I do after a hernia

what do I do after a hernia

Gall Bladder and Umbilical cord surgery at same...

can my Mom have, gallbladder removal and umbilical hernia repaired with one surgery at same time?

Fell over lifting a 70kg stack. Stuck in a coun...

Hello, I am a syrian citisen but I currently live in Turkey.I work hard labour though I am unfit to do so. I was lif...

Is it possible that I have an inguinal hernia t...

A few weeks ago I noticed a very large pimple in the pubic region. It popped after pressure was applied, however a l...

Possible hernia of my left testicle

I think I might have a hernia. I don't know for sure though, I one day got in the shower, and was washing my body whe...

Swollen and painful right testicle

so pain in my right testis and its become kinda larger before 2 days please help me my age is 20 and im a male pleas...

16 year old with possibility of hernia

Hello I am 16 years old and i think i have a hernia, i looked online for an explanation for a Swollen/lump on my groi...

umbilical hernia or possible cancer?

umbilical hernia or possible cancer

Hernia-laprocopy surgery

Stomach bloating and full of gas inside the small intestine,looks like small intestine not working after the surgery....

Please help me figure out why?

My husband thinks he may have a hernia...but what symptoms do younhave with a hernia?.. and he is hurting in his mid...

Can I do Zumba with Hiatal hernia? What other e...

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia they told me it was small. My question is Can i do zumba workout with having a ...

Continuing Running Program with Suspected Hernia

I am a 54 year old woman, physically fit. I have a small lump beside my pubic bone, in my groin. I discovered it abo...

Chest pains and hiatal hernia

I have been having stomach trouble and scheduled a scope but have not had it yet due to the fact they need so much m...

Possible Diastasis recti post hernia repair

I had a hernia oper. about 6 years ago .its about 4 in above belly button since then i have large lump where the sca...

Diagnosis of Hiatal hernia

So if you have galblader surgery would the doctor be able to tell if you have a hiatal hernia while preforming the g...

When to drink after surgery

Hi I have Umbilical Hernia my question is how long should i wait after the surgery so that i can start consuming a...

Possible causes of a groin lump in a cheerleader

I have a bulge on my groin. It doesn't hurt but I know its their without looking at it. especially when I go to the ...

Umbilical hernia, do I need to go to a doctor?

I have just noticed a small umbilical hernia -- I pushed the pinkie-sized bud back in -- so far I am assymptomatic -...

Stomach mass - what is the cause?

I have large mass stomach no pain doctor said Could be hernia or scar tissue it can be seen through My clothes I hat...

Post Your Thoughts