Swelling After Hernia Repair.

Dear Ask The Doctor:  I had a hernia repaired by open surgery with mesh about a week ago. Since then I have been using ice to help with swelling. My current observations of the area are that everything looks much like it did before surgery with the bulge and all, also my scrotum has a large build up of what I can only guess is fluid. I'm worried that my surgery may not have taken. Is it too soon for me to be worried or is this something I should get checked out.

Dear Patient:  It seems you have developed a collection of fluid at the operation site as well as in your scrotum. This is not an uncommon complication. Fortunately, more often than not, it resolves without any further treatment. You should allow another week for resolution to occur. If the swelling does not resolve within this time then you should see your surgeon as a minor surgical procedure may be required in which the fluid is aspirated with a needle. This procedure can be done in an office or clinic setting and does not require any anesthesia.

Please login or signup to post comments!

@ASKTHEDOCTOR ON TWITTER
@ASKTHEDOCTOR
Official Question Provider for