Question :

Swelling After Hernia Repair.

I had a hernia repaired by open surgery with mesh about a week ago. Since then I have been using ice to help with swelling. My current observations of the area are that everything looks much like it did before surgery with the bulge and all, also my scrotum has a large build up of what I can only guess is fluid. I'm worried that my surgery may not have taken. Is it too soon for me to be worried or is this something I should get checked out.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It seems you have developed a collection of fluid at the operation site as well as in your scrotum. This is not an uncommon complication. Fortunately, more often than not, it resolves without any further treatment. You should allow another week for resolution to occur. If the swelling does not resolve within this time then you should see your surgeon as a minor surgical procedure may be required in which the fluid is aspirated with a needle. This procedure can be done in an office or clinic setting and does not require any anesthesia.

Questions related to Hernia

inguinal hernia and leg swelling

I am asking this questions for my husband who is a 65 year old male. 11 years ago he had Biliopancreatic roux-en-Y w...

abdominal pain weight gain

Hi there, I have gained 5 stone in half a year, a month ago or so I had a pain in my stomach where my naval is and a ...

Small bump

I have a small bump to the left of my bellow button that is sensitive to touch and becomes painful after certain exer...

Bellybutton piercing on removed hernia

can i get my bellybutton pierced after i had a herniated belly button removed when I was 9 months because it was gro...

Pain under belly Button

Not sure if I have a hernia. I found a small size lump about a quarter inch below my belly button. It is very tender ...

What do I do after a hernia

what do I do after a hernia

Gall Bladder and Umbilical cord surgery at same...

can my Mom have, gallbladder removal and umbilical hernia repaired with one surgery at same time?

Fell over lifting a 70kg stack. Stuck in a coun...

Hello, I am a syrian citisen but I currently live in Turkey.I work hard labour though I am unfit to do so. I was lif...

Is it possible that I have an inguinal hernia t...

A few weeks ago I noticed a very large pimple in the pubic region. It popped after pressure was applied, however a l...

Possible hernia of my left testicle

I think I might have a hernia. I don't know for sure though, I one day got in the shower, and was washing my body whe...

Swollen and painful right testicle

so pain in my right testis and its become kinda larger before 2 days please help me my age is 20 and im a male pleas...

16 year old with possibility of hernia

Hello I am 16 years old and i think i have a hernia, i looked online for an explanation for a Swollen/lump on my groi...

umbilical hernia or possible cancer?

umbilical hernia or possible cancer

Hernia-laprocopy surgery

Stomach bloating and full of gas inside the small intestine,looks like small intestine not working after the surgery....

Please help me figure out why?

My husband thinks he may have a hernia...but what symptoms do younhave with a hernia?.. and he is hurting in his mid...

Can I do Zumba with Hiatal hernia? What other e...

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia they told me it was small. My question is Can i do zumba workout with having a ...

Continuing Running Program with Suspected Hernia

I am a 54 year old woman, physically fit. I have a small lump beside my pubic bone, in my groin. I discovered it abo...

Chest pains and hiatal hernia

I have been having stomach trouble and scheduled a scope but have not had it yet due to the fact they need so much m...

Possible Diastasis recti post hernia repair

I had a hernia oper. about 6 years ago .its about 4 in above belly button since then i have large lump where the sca...

Diagnosis of Hiatal hernia

So if you have galblader surgery would the doctor be able to tell if you have a hiatal hernia while preforming the g...

When to drink after surgery

Hi I have Umbilical Hernia my question is how long should i wait after the surgery so that i can start consuming a...

Possible causes of a groin lump in a cheerleader

I have a bulge on my groin. It doesn't hurt but I know its their without looking at it. especially when I go to the ...

Umbilical hernia, do I need to go to a doctor?

I have just noticed a small umbilical hernia -- I pushed the pinkie-sized bud back in -- so far I am assymptomatic -...

Stomach mass - what is the cause?

I have large mass stomach no pain doctor said Could be hernia or scar tissue it can be seen through My clothes I hat...

Post hernia feeling loss in penis

I had hernia surgery a year and a half ago and have lost sensitivity and a lot of feeling in my penis. Is this norma...

Surgery for Abdominal Hernia - Treatment Options.

I have a hernia, stomach just above navel, its not giving pain but now the lump is bigger will this reguire surge...

Difficulty passing urine after Hernia surgery.

I am having problems passing urine after my hernia surgery is this normal?

Ruling out a possible hernia

Hello I just lifted about 150 pounds of bottled water. Right after that I felt a sharp, deep pain in my pubic area....

Do Hernia Operation cause Infertility in Men?

Is it true that after hernia operation will be cause of infertility for men? Regards, JSC

Food tastes bad after surgery

My mom recently had surgery and food does not taste right. Online queries suggest it is from the anesthesia. Is th...

Swellen Right testicle after hernia surgery

Hello i had an inguinal hernia for about 2 years prior to having surgery .after one month of my surgery my infected ...

Testicle swelling after Surgery for Inguinal He...

I had an inguinal hernia for about two year prior to having surgery .about last month my Right testicle Swell.

Hernia surgery pain after 6 months

Should I still have pains 6 months after inguinal hernia mesh repair?

Do I have a Hernia?

What exactly is a hernia and how do I know if I have one? I am experiencing pain ion the right side of my groin tha...

Post hernia surgery recovery

How long after surgery could a 14 year old resume some light exercises?

Severe pain in left testicle and lower abdomen

Hi, I had been recently diagnosed for internal piles. But now all of a sudden, my left testicle has started paining ...

Hernia Repair Surgery on Right Side of Groin

Hi, I had hernia repair surgery back in 4th grade on my vagina. I was young so I do not know what type of hernia I...

Drinking after hernia surgery

Can u drink a beer 4 days after a hernia surgery?

Hernia Surgery Recovery Time

My mother-in-law is 56 years old and has diagnosed Lupus and is apparently considered obese, but not grossly. Over ...

Femoral hernia complication concerns

I have just had a femoral hernia repair - during the operation the doctor nicked my bladder as it had adhered to bon...

Can I Scuba Dive with an inguinal hernia

I have an inguinal hernia on the left side with a noticable buldge. I have had it for a number of years with no prob...

Pain and hardness in my belly button

Hello. I am 40, male, American, living in a remote camp in Tanzania. I have hardness in the center of my belly wit...

Hernia surgery complication: Hematoma

I had hernia surgery on May 4th. That night I had to go to the emergency room due to blood running down to my ankle...

Hernia symptom's in same place as inguinal hern...

I am a 25 year old active and athletic male who had bilateral inguinal hernia surgery almost a year ago... I complet...

Lower abdominal and pelvic pain when running

I have been a recreational jogger for years. I started jogging this spring and began to get shooting lower abdominal...

Swollen lymph node or something else?

I have a swollen lymph noid between my legs that I have had for a week. its been getting bigger and more painful tha...

HERNIA CARE AFTER SURGERY

4 weeks back I underwent surgery for inguinal hernia. Open surgery a non-mesh hernia repair. Surgeon told me there...

When to resume work as a nurse after MESH Herni...

I have undergone herniorrhaphy last march 11, 20111. I work as a nurse. When is the right time for me to resume ????...

Do I have another hernia?

I have had a umbilical hernia repaired twice, once with mesh and second time with stitches. the treatment was done ...

Safe to fast with hiatal hernia?

Is it safe to fast long hours (nothing to eat or drink for 12 or more hours) with a hiatal hernia?

Post Your Thoughts