Question :

Hernia Surgery Recovery Time

My mother-in-law is 56 years old and has diagnosed Lupus and is apparently considered obese, but not grossly. Over 3 months ago, she had hernia surgery that was fairly extensive from my understanding. She was sent home with a drainage tube, which stayed in until just a couple a weeks ago. She is swollen all over her body, though the nurse practitioner told her last week that she is not retaining fluid any longer. She is experiencing trouble breathing from the swelling in her stomach, she is uncomfortable and just wants to get on with her life and back to normal activities, which she is unable to do still even after over 3 months have passed since the surgery. Her family doctor, the nurse practitioner for the surgeon, and the surgeon have all show to be very impatient and have basically shut down all questions she's asked. I'm afraid that something is very wrong and they know it and aren't wanting to admit to it. Is it normal to still be experiencing so much pain and discomfort and to have a drainage tube in for 3 months, constantly producing fluids? Thank you very much.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
It is unusual to still be experiencing pain and discomfort that long after surgery. However, individuals differ considerable in how they respond to surgery and how they heal. therefore I cannot confirm your suspicion that something is wrong. While I understand her frustration, I urge her to be a little more patient and allow herself more time to recover from the procedure
A drainage tube is placed during surgery if it is expected that there is potential for fluid collection. The tube is removed when the daily out put from the drain is minimal. The drainage tube was probably left in place because of her weight and the size of the hernia.

Questions related to Hernia

Does an un- operated inguinal hernia can cause...

Good evening , i am ranjan 23yrs age . suffering from inguinal hernia from 6 months,feeling discomfort after standin...

Grape sized femoral hernia

Grape sized femoral hernia that is painful when pushed for over a week, diarrhea for 2days is this related and an eme...

inguinal hernia and leg swelling

I am asking this questions for my husband who is a 65 year old male. 11 years ago he had Biliopancreatic roux-en-Y w...

abdominal pain weight gain

Hi there, I have gained 5 stone in half a year, a month ago or so I had a pain in my stomach where my naval is and a ...

Small bump

I have a small bump to the left of my bellow button that is sensitive to touch and becomes painful after certain exer...

Bellybutton piercing on removed hernia

can i get my bellybutton pierced after i had a herniated belly button removed when I was 9 months because it was gro...

Pain under belly Button

Not sure if I have a hernia. I found a small size lump about a quarter inch below my belly button. It is very tender ...

What do I do after a hernia

what do I do after a hernia

Gall Bladder and Umbilical cord surgery at same...

can my Mom have, gallbladder removal and umbilical hernia repaired with one surgery at same time?

Fell over lifting a 70kg stack. Stuck in a coun...

Hello, I am a syrian citisen but I currently live in Turkey.I work hard labour though I am unfit to do so. I was lif...

Is it possible that I have an inguinal hernia t...

A few weeks ago I noticed a very large pimple in the pubic region. It popped after pressure was applied, however a l...

Possible hernia of my left testicle

I think I might have a hernia. I don't know for sure though, I one day got in the shower, and was washing my body whe...

Swollen and painful right testicle

so pain in my right testis and its become kinda larger before 2 days please help me my age is 20 and im a male pleas...

16 year old with possibility of hernia

Hello I am 16 years old and i think i have a hernia, i looked online for an explanation for a Swollen/lump on my groi...

umbilical hernia or possible cancer?

umbilical hernia or possible cancer

Hernia-laprocopy surgery

Stomach bloating and full of gas inside the small intestine,looks like small intestine not working after the surgery....

Please help me figure out why?

My husband thinks he may have a hernia...but what symptoms do younhave with a hernia?.. and he is hurting in his mid...

Can I do Zumba with Hiatal hernia? What other e...

I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia they told me it was small. My question is Can i do zumba workout with having a ...

Continuing Running Program with Suspected Hernia

I am a 54 year old woman, physically fit. I have a small lump beside my pubic bone, in my groin. I discovered it abo...

Chest pains and hiatal hernia

I have been having stomach trouble and scheduled a scope but have not had it yet due to the fact they need so much m...

Possible Diastasis recti post hernia repair

I had a hernia oper. about 6 years ago .its about 4 in above belly button since then i have large lump where the sca...

Diagnosis of Hiatal hernia

So if you have galblader surgery would the doctor be able to tell if you have a hiatal hernia while preforming the g...

When to drink after surgery

Hi I have Umbilical Hernia my question is how long should i wait after the surgery so that i can start consuming a...

Possible causes of a groin lump in a cheerleader

I have a bulge on my groin. It doesn't hurt but I know its their without looking at it. especially when I go to the ...

Umbilical hernia, do I need to go to a doctor?

I have just noticed a small umbilical hernia -- I pushed the pinkie-sized bud back in -- so far I am assymptomatic -...

Post Your Thoughts