Question :

Can herpes be passed to unborn child if either parent has it?

If a man has herpes, and a woman becomes pregnant by him, can it be passed to the baby? If a woman has herpes, and she is pregnant, can she pass it to the child? Is herpes spreadable by sharing eating utensils, soap, etc?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Herpes is a viral infection and cant spread by sharing utensils,soap etc , the infection is transmitted by sexual contact.Testing positive for herpes does not mean that person have active disease , it simply means that he has been exposed to virus and his body carries antibodies for it.Now if a women gets pregnant from him she may or may not have got the disease from him because chances of transmission are only 10 percent over a period of one year of sexual relationship and even if she got the disease does not mean she is suffering from the disease but one thing to remember is she may be shedding the virus without having any symtoms, as the case with the man.Probability of baby getting infected born to asymtomatic women are very low but if disease activity is suspected physician may prescribe her antiviral treatment during later half of pregnancy or they can go for caesarian section if active lesions are seen around genital area.

Questions related to Herpes

Is this herpes whitlow?

I smoked a cigarette with someone and I burnt my finger, right after these burn looking blister looking thing appeare...

Newly Diagnosed Herpes Simplex 2

Hello, I am a young female who recently developed a rash on my left thigh. It was very painful and looked very simila...

Herpes Or Razor Bumps

I was wondering what's the difference between razor bumps and herpes bumps.

L-Lysine supplement dosage - long term effects

I tend to get cold sores from time to time. I tried taking a preventative dose of L-Lysine (1g) daily and it helped w...

Oral herpes symptoms and medication?

Hi, I am wondering what the typical symptoms of a primary herpes simplex 1/oral herpes infection would be? Also, is ...

Herpes, Jock Itch, or something else?

Do I have herpes or a fungal infection?

Are these the symptoms of herpes and what can i...

ive been reading alot on the internet and i think i may have herpes?

Herpes Simplex Virus exposure to eye

Hi, I'm a nurse at a children's hospital. My 2 yr old pt last night had herpex 1 and stomatitis with active bleeding...

Do I have herpes?

My boyfriend has had a cold sore for the past week however I don't think he went down on me when he had it. We have k...

Slight redness on corners of lips on top and bo...

I have redness around the corners of my lips, both top and bottom lip. It looks pretty symmetrical on both sides. I n...

Extreme painful gential ulcers

I have severe ulcers on my gentials. Dr gave me the ointment for herpes and has done a culture and 2 blood test. Wil...

Itchy and shiny bumps

Hi. I have shiny and itchy bumps on my labia should I be concerned?

Ichy small tiny lumps around the area right sid...

On the right side lower rib cage very dry ichy area i notice small lumps in the area they look like small bug bites...

Do I have herpes?

I have small bumps on the head of my penis and on my foreskin. I have never had sexual intercourse but have had oral...

Ocular herpes simplex and treatment

I was at a party with a friend who had a cold sore on his lip. The cold sore looked to be mild and either healing or...

Use of condoms if both partners have herpes

If both partners have herpes is it necessary to continue to use condoms during sex.

Doing Laundry with herpes

During a herpes outbreak, can one wash laundry regularly (and separate from other's laundry) without spreading the ...

Can i stop taking my herpes medication?

I'm currently experiencing my second, and much less severe, herpes outbreak. I'm on valocyclovir but my symptoms are...

Will antibacterial cream help in Herpes treatrment

I was wondering if the following can be used on genitalia herpes. Bactroban cream (mupirocin calcium cream 2%).

How common is herpes?

I cannot remember having a single cold sore in my life. It is about 4 months into a new relationship, and I somehow ...

Can Hepatitis B vaccine cause false positive te...

I finished receiving 3 rounds of the Hepatitis B vaccine within the last six months. Two months ago, I was diagnose...

Vaginal surgery with herpes

Can having vaginal surgery cause my HSV 2 to outbreak?

Is there a cure for Genital Herpes?

My 18 yr old son just confidentially told me he has herpes. He didn't say anything about how it happened, but he sai...

Uncomfortable bump on my vagina every month i s...

My concern is, i have an uncomfortable bump on my vagina every month i start my cycle. The bump usually is on top of...

Pain across butt from herpes very severe

I have been diagnosed with herpes and I am having severe pain and the worst is that I have pain and pressure in my b...

Post Your Thoughts