Question :

I take fat burners while I am taking Synthroid for my Hypothyroidism?

I am inquiring about taking fat burners; however, I have hypothyroidism and take a dosage of synthroid, 0.1mg, daily. What are the possible risks or complications if I decide to take fat burners?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
 Most of the fat-burners are compounds derived from nature that's been organically altered or synthesized to deliver more powerful drug-like effects. These compounds have mostly Green Tea with thermogenic and weight loss effect, and also may have DMAA, a dimethylamylamine which is a Central nervous system stimulant, patented originally as nasal decongestant. The other components are: caffeine, ephedrine,raspberry ketones and others similar. Some persons describe feeling like they were high or drunk and some couldn’t even remember what had happened while they were using it. The primary side effects of fat burners include dizziness, nausea, and restlessness. This is due to caffeine, and then if you’re sensitive to caffeine, be careful, and also it is uncertain if these products can interact with any medication that you are actually taking, meaning thyroid hormone and birth control pills. I suggest that you discuss it with your doctor if you can or cannot take them.

Questions related to Hypothyroidism

Severe untreated hypothyroidism - do I require ...

I have temporarily untreated hypothyroidism awaiting test results after doctor put me on wrong meds and TSH/Free T4 c...

hipothiroydism a and t counts

Can you have hyperthyroidism if you're t4 and t3's are o.k.

Hypothyroidism and Neuropathy

I have hand numbness in my hands, two big toes, and now my back since April. Sometimes it feels as though it is vib...

Hypothyroid and need advice

I am 24 years old and I'm hypothyroid. I take synthroid for this. Lately (the past month) I have been busy and forget...

Do I have hypothyroid?

I believe I have hypothyroid or borderline hypothyroid. Family history grandmother hyperthyroid, mother hypothyroid. ...

Skin darkening around my neck

I am 27 years old male. My height is 178.5 cm and weight is 82 kg. My skin has become dry and dark and the area aroun...

Stop taking the Levothyroxine or continue and s...

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism awhile back and was taking 75mg of levothyroxine. I stopped taking my meds about ...

Can a 19 year old female get Hypothyroidism?

Hypothyroidism

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 10 years ago and fibromyalgia about 5 years ago. My TH and T numbers are of...

Diet suggestions for hypothyroid, adrenal defic...

Hell Doctors, I'm asking this on behalf of my mother, who has several medical issues. Such as: - Diabetes, which s...

Elevated TSH level

Hello, I am a 27yo male that is 6'0'' and 160lbs. I exercise regularly and am in pretty good shape. I recently had bl...

High TSH levels in initial pregnancy

My wife is 1 month pregnant. Her TSH level is 17.44. How is it going to effect our baby?

Overdose of eltroxin, what are its side effects?

I was on the incorrect dose of eltroxin 200 MCG Levothyroxine sodium for 6 months. I should have been on 100 MCG.The...

I Have Excessive facial hair

Hi doctor, i am a female, 26 years old and suffering from hypothyroidism since i was 12, this hypothyroidism resulte...

Hypothyroid patient's bypass surgery

Hello, My 63 year old hypothyroid (TSH is at 120)aunt has been diagnosed with 2 completely blocked and 1 partially b...

Can levothyroxine cause an increase in liver en...

High liver enzymes started at 120 in may 2011 had several lab test all came back negative even all hepatitis test al...

Can my thyroid be functioning normally again

I STOPPED USING MY ELTROXIN FOR HYPOTHYROIDISM. I HAVE BEEN USING IT FOR 12 MONTHS. AND SO MANY PEOPLE TELLS ME I CA...

Can hypothyroidism cause no breast growth?

I am a 14 year old girl. I have many symptoms of hypothyroidism, but have not yet seen a doctor about it. If I were ...

Thyroid replacement hormone side effects

Hi i have been taking eltroxin for 4 months now for hypothyriodism. I have been back to the doctor at the six week m...

Why Am I Having Persistent Night Sweats?

I have had very frequent night sweats for a few years now. In the last 6 months it has been 4-5 times a week averag...

Dose of Thyronorm for Hypothyroidism

Hi this is Lakshmi from Chennai, i have hypothyroidism and right now i am taking thyronorm 75 mcg, my recent report...

Early hypothyroidism - what do I do next?

I have recently been diagnosed with early hypothyroidism. My TSh levels are 5.75 and my t4 levels are 13. Is it esse...

Acid Reflux Symptoms: Simple Remedies

I have been diagnosed with a slightly raised tsh level but doctor has decided on no medication at the moment.I suffe...

Hypothyroidism, alopecia:will our children inhe...

Hello Dr, I have recently been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism (which wasn't a huge surprise as I've had a small goitr...

Treatment and management for Hypothyroidism

Can a underactive tyroid be treated with iodine

Post Your Thoughts