Question :

Flexor hallucis longus (big toe flexor tendon) Injury

About a year ago I was in martial arts and I was thrown and landed on my big toe. I went to the hospital and took xrays, nothing was broken, just a lot of swellen. About 5 months later swellen went down and I was not able to bend my toe unless I took my finger and bend it. I have moderate pain when I do that. I went back to my doctor and took another xray and went to a specialist. They said the do not see anything on the xray. Its been over a year now and I still cannot bend my toe. I have done physio for about two months have a little better motion but not much. Any ideas of what I can do?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
According to your description of the events, most likely you experienced a Injury of the flexor tendon of the big toe, called: Flexor hallucis longus (FHL), this tendon flexes the great toe  acting along with the flexor hallucis brevis at the foot and assists in plantar flexion of the foot at the ankle. It is frequent to see this kind of injury in Ballet dancers as they go from flat foot to the en pointe position, maybe similar mechanism  that happen to you one year ago during practicing Martial Arts as you described above. Tendinitis of the FHL tendon is rarely seen in activities other than ballet dancing, in which extreme plantar flexion is necessary. The symptoms of tendinitis and/or tear: swelling, pain and tenderness when try to flex the toe. The treatment options vary from local icing, taping the foot to protect the arch and allow it to rest more easily, anti inflammatory medication and physical therapy for a tendinitis, to a surgical repair if the tendon is ruptured. I strongly recommend that you get an appointment with a orthopedic surgeon who can re assess the status of your Flexor Hallucis tendon and together decide what would be the best treatment option for you.

Questions related to Joint Damage

Finger joints in the thumb will not bend

The joint in my thumb won't bend...it has been over a month

Joint was damaged a year ago and it keeps hurting

Hi, i want to know something about my joints, i had a car accident a year ago and i hurt my knee , i cut my knee and ...

Annoying noise in the finger

I have a noise in a finger when I bend it, that sounds like a squeaking sound. What can it be and is it something to...

post surgery complications

Hi there im 25 years old and for the last 2 years i had some minor problems with my right knee that stopped me fr...

Degenerative Ankle Fusion

I have a degenerative ankle issue where my talus bone is at a 35 degree angle and the Dr recommends ankle fusion. Wh...

Torn Meniscus in right knee. Had cortisone but ...

I have a torn meniscus in my right knee. I had one cortisone shot about three months ago. It helped, but now it wor...

Defect in ankle

Apparently I have defect in my ankle. What makes this worse ? And secondly what treatment should I get for it?

Can cancer be mistaken for TMJ Arthralgia?

I'm almost 100% positive that I have tmj and I started feeling symptoms a year ago. It has come to the point where I ...

Lifestyle remedies for Temporomandibular Joint ...

I have continual pain in my Temporomandibular joint. It came on suddenly about 6 days ago and since then it hasn't g...

Chronic ankle pain at rest and walking

Hi there i have been suffering with pain in my right leg and ankle for over 2 years now i have been to my doctors bu...

Pain and limitation after elbow dislocation two...

Just over two weeks ago, due to a snowboarding fall, I dislocated my left elbow. Right after the injury occurred, I ...

Possible TMJD with previous history of punch in...

I was punched in the jaw, by a patient, when I worked as a nurse aide in the hospital in 2007. The hit was on the le...

Lump on back of a previously injured knee

When I was six I injured my knee. I fell on a jagged object and tore the skin away, exposing my kneecap. I only got ...

Teenager with severe meniscus lesion waiting fo...

My 13 year old daughter just had an MRI of her knee. It showed Maceration of the lateral meniscus with a large porti...

Possible grade 1 ankle sprain five days ago

I sprained my ankle 5 days ago and now there is no more swelling or pain when I walk. I'm just a little worried beca...

Hip pain after a long walk

Hi. I am 25 years old and have problems with my right hip joint becoming sore and aching for many days after a long ...

Possible consequences of an old elbow injury.

I fractured my elbow as a child, 15 years ago. Never followed up with physical therapy, cannot fully extend the join...

Recovery after Hip dislocation

What is the advised time of rest in case of hip joint dislocation for adults , not in case of an infant .....?????

Elbow Pain: Possible elbow sprained

My seatbelt got caught in my car door. I couldn't get the door to close after that. It happened 10 days ago. I drove...

Hip pain sequel of septic arthritis years ago t...

I have Diabetes, 10 years ago aged 13 years old I developed septic arthritis in my iscium and hip. I was very ill. I...

Pain in the big toe when walking

My big toe hurts when walking or resting. It does not hurt when I touch it but it hurts especially when I have on a ...

Persistent Pain in the right thumb after a Fal...

Hi, I fell from stairs nearly 2 months back. Apart from some scratches on my right leg, my right thumb (leg) bumped ...

Wrist pain and weakness for over a year: CTS?

I have had severe pain in my wrist for over a yr now, as far as i can tell its the flexor carpi radius. What can I d...

What is a trigger finger? Which are my treatmen...

Whats trigger finger? can it be cured without surgery?

Sprained ankle one year ago and still sore and ...

I sprained my ankle 1 years ago. There is a bump that is getting increasingly larger, sorer and redder on the inside...

Post Your Thoughts