Question :

What does a high BUN:creatinine ratio mean?

Hello, I am 42 years old. I recently got a BUN (Blood Urea-Nitrogen) level of 18 and a creatinine level of 0.6 mgperDL. But my BUN over creatinine ratio was 30. As per my research results, this might be an indication of prerenal failure. Would you please clarify what all this mean? Should I be concerned and visit a specialist? Should I have more tests done? I'm unemployed, without a health insurance, so I would like to avoid any unnecessary costs. Thank you, VA

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
BUN: creatinine ratio is a crude measurement of acute renal failure. However, acute renal failure happens when there is decreased blood flow to the kidneys (e.g. dehydration, intake of high blood pressure meds like ACE inhibitors and diuretics – meds that make you pee a lot, severe bleeding, overuse of over-the-counter pain relievers like Ibuprofen, high grade fevers, etc.). This is rapidly reversible when the cause can be identified. In some cases, it is usually dehydration. Simply drinking lots of water will correct the abnormality. I really do not think there is need for you to worry since you have not mentioned any concurrent diseases with maintenance medications (hypertension, etc). If you also had a urine test done, a specific gravity of >1.020 would be suggestive of acute pre-renal failure. The most sensitive values to detect pre-renal failure are fractional excretion of sodium and renal failure index. Both values are computed after getting the blood sodium and creatinine, and urinary sodium and creatinine. In your case, I think a repeat blood test would suffice. If you have hydrated well enough and the BUN: creatinine ratio will turn out normal, then there you are fine. I do hope this helps and take care always.

Questions related to Kidney Failure

How long until 89 yr odl with complete kidney f...

How long will it take for an 89 yr old women in complete kidney failure with very little to no output, is not getting...

Am I eligible to donate kidney if on SSRI?

Hello. My name is Leanna, and I am 26 years old. My mother has been suffering with end-stage renal failure, due to a ...

kidney transplants

what other blood type can be a match for a patient with blood type A+, for kidney transplants?

Cyclosporin for treating kidney disease?

Dad was diagnosed with nephropathy and was given drug cyclosporin. After searching the drug on the internet, I found ...

Kidney Creatine High

Please see the attachment and prescribe me.

Husband is on peritoneal dialysis and I acciden...

My husband is on peritoneal dialysis and I accidentally contaminated the transfer cap. It says to notify my nurse imm...

Possible cyst on kidney and bad kidney function...

Possible cyst on kidney and bad kidney function levels.

Aviation with hydronephrosis

Hi. I am looking into flying and I am afraid that I will not be able to get a class 1 or class 2 medical to fly solo....

I had too much protein in my pee and for 2 days...

a few weeks ago i was in the hospital for kidney failur..i had to much protein in my pee..for 2 days my kidneys been ...

Mother

What symptoms would you expect to see in a nine year old male with the following lab results ? The patient, my nine ...

Am I developing Kidney Failure?

I've had bubbles in my urine for the past month, and my left kidney has been hurting for the past year or so,I don't ...

is it ok to take an additional tormeside to red...

my grandpa takes torsemide because he has kidney failure... he was supposed to be taking 2 a day and i just found out...

I'm on dialysis and having swelling from the fe...

Is it ok if a patient on hemodialysis for 3 weeks now to have an edema from feet to stomach? his dialysis was done ...

I'm on dialysis and my creatinine is really hig...

Hi, my name is Maia, 50 years old. I discovered I have Kidney failure just last year. Both kidneys affected. I'm hav...

What does a slight increase in creatinine and s...

My recent blood test results done by my endocrinologist show a slightly elevated creatinine (1.05) and a low eGFR (5...

Does Ciprofloxacin affect the creatinine levels?

WILL CIPRO AFFECT CREATININE IN LAB TESTS? BLOOD TESTS BEFORE MRI WITH CONTRAST RESULTED IN LEVEL OF 1.54! HIGH NORM...

Kidney failure and criteria for dialysis

58 year old male in hospital with kidney failure. wbc 45,000, creatine 87 and bun 5.4. Should he be getting dialysis?

Can I smoke a pack with Kidney failure?

Will one pack of cigarettes affect my kidneys that only function at 9%? i have not started dialisis yet because i st...

Do I have Kidney Disease?

My gfr came down from 89 to 73 in 9months. my creatinine level rose from .9 to 1.1 they found minimal amount of prot...

Albumin positive in urine analysis

I had my urine test taken today. The results showed high levels of albumin. It was analyzed to some level as albumin...

Chronic kidney disease and dialysis

My father has been a diabetic for approx. 30 yrs. he has chronic kidney disease,high blood pressure,and multiple oth...

Kidney insufficiency and hyperphosphatemia

Hello, My name is Helen. My mother has renal (kidney) insufficiency, but she do not get dialysis yet. I would like ...

Lifestyle and Diet Changes after Unilateral Nep...

Good Evening: Thank you for your reply. My friend a male 43 yr old fitness trainer was rushed to hospital with sever...

Concerned about possible kidney failure

What does it mean when you have a serum creatinine level of 1.0 and an estimated GFR of 57? I am 59 years o...

Kidney size and renal function prognosis

Dear Doctor, My son, 24 years old, suffers from CKD. Some 14 months back his kidney sizes were 8.3 by 3.7 and 8.1 b...

Post Your Thoughts