Question :

Elevated potassium and sodium blood levels

I was told that I have elevated levels of potassium (5.9) and sodium (148) in my blood labs. I also have been having kidney pain for a few months and told my Dr. but they said your kidneys don't usually hurt and it is likely something else that hurts. So what can be causing my elevated sodium and potassium levels? I have to wait another 3 weeks or so for the results of a second blood test. Thanks Doc!

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
High levels of Potassium and Sodium in your blood might be caused not only by kidney conditions. Other possibilities such as side effects from certain medications, a dysfunction in the suprarenal glands, diabetes and breakdown of muscle might also increase the levels of potassium.
In my opinion your sodium level is borderline high and in the meantime you could avoid salty foods especially containing more than 300mg of sodium.
Sometimes a report of high blood potassium isn't true. Instead it may be caused by the rupture of blood cells in the blood sample during or shortly after drawing the sample. The ruptured cells leak their potassium into the sample. This falsely raises the amount of potassium in the blood sample, even though the potassium level in your body is actually normal. When this is suspected, a repeat blood sample is done. I would definitely suggest you to take another blood test to confirm or rule out high potassium levels.

Questions related to Kidney Stones

Severe pain in kidneys after UTI infection

Hello doc. i had uti infection . i went to doc to get treatment .. my doctor gave me antibiotics and other medicines...

kidney stones to kidney disease

I have had lithotripsy twice. I havent seen my urologist in almost a year. For the last few months i have had some st...

Lodged Kidney stone

Can a kidney stone get lodged in an area just outside of the kidney if it has happened in the past?

Kidney stone - Neglect?

If you are admitted to a hospital via the ER for a first time kidney stone, what is the usual treatment protocol? I...

4mm kidney stone in left lower pole

Hi i am a 44 yr old female. I have a 4mm kidney stone in the left lower pole thats been causing me pain for over 2 m...

How long does it take for kidney stones to pass?

I have been having issues since January... i finally saw a doctor, 2 visits and one CT scan later, they found that i ...

Should I go to the ER for kidney stones?

I went to the er on Sunday for kidney stones. I was told that I have multiple stones in both kidneys. I passed one an...

Problems with Kidneys

What is increased echogenicity of the renal pyramids?

Kidney stones and sex

Can having a large kidney stone affect ejaculation? My husband has been having trouble ejaculation during sex. For 3 ...

PLEASE HELP

I am a 37 yr old woman with chronic kidney stones I have been having alot of pain in the left kidney for a couple of ...

Retrograde Ejaculation and kidney stones

I was having gastric problems since past 2 weeks and was also diagnosed with a 2 mm kidney stone last week. My doctor...

Frequent urination at night, accompanied by pai...

Though it isn't every night by any means, there are the odd nights when I have to go to the bathroom rather frequentl...

Pain after passing a kidney stone

I passed my first kidney stone ever yesterday and it was a very painful and scary experience. I feel a little back pa...

flank/kidney pain

I have had dull flank pain on both sides going on five days. I went to the doctor 4 days ago and he did a simple uri...

surgery whilst on period

i have surgery on thursday for my kidney stones to be blasted and im on my period will that matter?

Left side pain

I went to ER for pain n left side yesterday. They said I have kidney stones and gave me pain medicine. Today on a sc...

Kindy stone pain

Ok I woke us this morning with my right upper side hurting and I can't pee and fell sick to my stomach I do have his...

Bilateral Nephrocalcinosis - What Is The Progno...

Hi I have already been diagnosed with nephrocalcinosis and it bilaterally affects both sides what is the prognosis o...

Problems with a swollen right testicle painful

My partner has a swollen and painful right testicle he has had an ultra scan and nothing has shown up so his special...

Kidney Stone Dissolving Solutions

Hi!!! My name is Doug and I currently have three kidney stones. I have already seen the doctor who has put me on T...

Renal calcification what should I do?

I was recently seen in the er for upper left abd pain. with the ct scan it showed calcification in the upper and low...

Blood in urine after stent removal.

I had a procedure done 6 days ago to removes stones from my urethra and then they placed a stent. I pulled the stent...

Is severe pain after a kidney stent is removed ...

I had kidney stones removed from my right kidney 5 days ago and they placed a stent, I was able to take it out at ho...

Can I take Ibuprofen if I have kidney stone?

Can i take ibuprofen 200mg one a day for a week with a kidney stone---thanks

Frequent Urge to Urinate, Suffering from Kidney...

Hi, i keep getting urge to urinate, i had a ct scan 2 months ago and it came back that i had a 6mm kidney stone in m...

Post Your Thoughts