Question :

Effects of Coca Cola on Liver

My liver enzymes are elevated according to test. i have to go for pics.i have been drinking an excessive amount of coca cola and eating one meal a day. Would this excessive amount of coca cola have an effect on liver enzymes? the test showed i am clear on Hep A,B or C

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Yes, it would, because the sugar contained in most soft drinks is high in fructose corn syrup. Fructose is metabolized differently, behaving more like fat in regards to body weight regulation. So consuming a lot of fructose, is like consuming too much fat, contributes to weight gain, obesity and deposition of fat in the body. Elevation of the liver enzymes may be due to fatty liver, a condition of deposition of fat in the cells of the liver.

Questions related to Liver Failure

Complete Blood Count

My SGPT is 48 U/L, 20 days before it was 28 U/L, Do I need to worry about?

Tylenol Overdose or Hangover?

My sister (a nursing student) has me freaked out that I may have overdosed on Tylenol. I think I took about 3000 mg ...

Woke up with Yellow Skin & Diarrhea

I took a bunch of medications about 4 hours ago then went to sleep. Woke up with diarrhea and noticed my skin is yel...

State of Liver question

Hello Doctor, my recent lab results showed an elevated AST & ALT numbers (100, 85 respectively) but albumin, bili...

Lots of antibiotics and Liver damage.

Hi. I took Doxycycline for about 6 months for acne. When I went off of it i didn't feel well and I went to the doctor...

liver issues

Hi. I have pain in upper right quadrant near sternum. What are the top 5 liver tests I should get? I have had numer...

Alanine transaminase (ALT) levels increasing

"Alanine Aminotransferase test My Lab Range is 3-36. On Feb 9 2012 my number was 44 and on Mar 1 2012 it was 47 . I...

Took five paracetamol tablets at once. Will it ...

Hi Sir, I have swallowed 5 650mg paracetomol tablets at once accidentally. Immediately I have come to know it's over...

How long will it take for liver enzymes to retu...

Not liver failure but liver related. Last blood tests were AST-54, ALT-18. Had been drinking some prior for about 6 ...

Effects of too many vitamins?

Hi, I'm 25 and I'm very into taking natural vitamins. I take about 6 a day and some I need to take more than once a ...

Elevated Liver Enzymes Cause Unknown

37 yr old white female non-smoker, non-drinker, no drug use ever average weight; physically active (gym 3-5 days a w...

Fatty changes in Liver

I am facing problem of Acidity, gastric and constipation. Also, my waist size or stomach is getting big. I undergone...

Deranged liver function tests

Hi Doctor, I did a liver profile with 2 abnormal results ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE (SGOT ) PHOTOMETRY 63.9 ALANI...

Can I donate my liver if I have anemia?

I am curious to know if I can donate part of my liver to a friend if I was diagnosed with anemia?

Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver

I'm a 32 year old obese female. I went into the hospital for other health issues that had them do a ct scan. In the ...

Medication affect on liver metabolism

Does the medication embrel affect how the body metabolises other medication..meaning how fast other medication leaves...

Vomiting blood in an alcoholic.

My brother has been vomiting blood for a number of days now and will not go to the hospital. He is a recovering alco...

Liver function concerning alcohol consumption

Hi, I've been getting an uncomfortable pressure below my diaphram that can be quite severe. It only happens after ...

Low white blood cell count?

I recently went to do a physical and today the doctor office called telling me i have a low white blood cell count ...

Bruises, swollen, inflamed lower legs

I am a 52 year old male that drinks about a half of a bottle of vodka a day. My drinking became heavier after I los...

Chronic pain, liver damage and alcohol abuse

My 33 year old daughter has been diabetic since she was 11. She has had a movement disorder since she was 15. She ...

Liver Enzymes and Alcohol and tylenol intake

My liver enzymes went from 15 to 123 due to the use of tylenol and drinking alchol also. Am I currently in the range...

Acetaminophen Toxicity or Sepsis?

My husband passed away nearly two years ago, after being diagnosed with septic shock. The cultures never grew any ba...

Blood test indicates raised AST, ALT and Billir...

Hi, I was in the emergency room yesterday and they did a blood test on me. The results have my ALT at 323h, my AST a...

Causes for elevated ferritin and transferrin sa...

Lab data below: Ferritin 22 to 322 std range: 373 ng per ml May 2011 Transferrin saturation 15 to 60 pct std ran...

Post Your Thoughts