Question :

Liver cirrhosis and Bilirubin levels

In a patient suffering with Cirrohsis, who has came a very long way in the past 5 months i.e. all blood counts seem to be going in the right direction except for the bilirubin which was near 200 when first admitted to hospital the lowest it has dropped to is 47 but for the past few weeks it is slowly rising again. Why would the bilirubin be rsing if everything else seems to be getting better? Your help would be much aprreciated. Thank you

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Liver cirrhosis is a chronic condition in which the liver cells get damaged and continue to deteriorate inspite of treatment. The only definitive treatment for the same is liver transplant or correcting the cause which is leading to the cirrhosis which in most cases is impossible .As liver cirrhosis progresses the livers capacity and capability to conjugate the indirect bilirubin and convert it into direct bilirubin which is then excreted by the kidneys decreases progressively. If the causative factor leading to the cirrhosis is not corrected ( for example alcohol intake, hepatitis , gall stones, pancreatic cancer) then the bilirubin will keep rising. I hope this helps answer your query. All the best.

Questions related to Liver Failure

Complete Blood Count

My SGPT is 48 U/L, 20 days before it was 28 U/L, Do I need to worry about?

Tylenol Overdose or Hangover?

My sister (a nursing student) has me freaked out that I may have overdosed on Tylenol. I think I took about 3000 mg ...

Woke up with Yellow Skin & Diarrhea

I took a bunch of medications about 4 hours ago then went to sleep. Woke up with diarrhea and noticed my skin is yel...

State of Liver question

Hello Doctor, my recent lab results showed an elevated AST & ALT numbers (100, 85 respectively) but albumin, bili...

Lots of antibiotics and Liver damage.

Hi. I took Doxycycline for about 6 months for acne. When I went off of it i didn't feel well and I went to the doctor...

liver issues

Hi. I have pain in upper right quadrant near sternum. What are the top 5 liver tests I should get? I have had numer...

Alanine transaminase (ALT) levels increasing

"Alanine Aminotransferase test My Lab Range is 3-36. On Feb 9 2012 my number was 44 and on Mar 1 2012 it was 47 . I...

Took five paracetamol tablets at once. Will it ...

Hi Sir, I have swallowed 5 650mg paracetomol tablets at once accidentally. Immediately I have come to know it's over...

How long will it take for liver enzymes to retu...

Not liver failure but liver related. Last blood tests were AST-54, ALT-18. Had been drinking some prior for about 6 ...

Effects of too many vitamins?

Hi, I'm 25 and I'm very into taking natural vitamins. I take about 6 a day and some I need to take more than once a ...

Elevated Liver Enzymes Cause Unknown

37 yr old white female non-smoker, non-drinker, no drug use ever average weight; physically active (gym 3-5 days a w...

Fatty changes in Liver

I am facing problem of Acidity, gastric and constipation. Also, my waist size or stomach is getting big. I undergone...

Deranged liver function tests

Hi Doctor, I did a liver profile with 2 abnormal results ASPARTATE AMINOTRANSFERASE (SGOT ) PHOTOMETRY 63.9 ALANI...

Can I donate my liver if I have anemia?

I am curious to know if I can donate part of my liver to a friend if I was diagnosed with anemia?

Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver

I'm a 32 year old obese female. I went into the hospital for other health issues that had them do a ct scan. In the ...

Medication affect on liver metabolism

Does the medication embrel affect how the body metabolises other medication..meaning how fast other medication leaves...

Vomiting blood in an alcoholic.

My brother has been vomiting blood for a number of days now and will not go to the hospital. He is a recovering alco...

Liver function concerning alcohol consumption

Hi, I've been getting an uncomfortable pressure below my diaphram that can be quite severe. It only happens after ...

Low white blood cell count?

I recently went to do a physical and today the doctor office called telling me i have a low white blood cell count ...

Bruises, swollen, inflamed lower legs

I am a 52 year old male that drinks about a half of a bottle of vodka a day. My drinking became heavier after I los...

Chronic pain, liver damage and alcohol abuse

My 33 year old daughter has been diabetic since she was 11. She has had a movement disorder since she was 15. She ...

Liver Enzymes and Alcohol and tylenol intake

My liver enzymes went from 15 to 123 due to the use of tylenol and drinking alchol also. Am I currently in the range...

Acetaminophen Toxicity or Sepsis?

My husband passed away nearly two years ago, after being diagnosed with septic shock. The cultures never grew any ba...

Blood test indicates raised AST, ALT and Billir...

Hi, I was in the emergency room yesterday and they did a blood test on me. The results have my ALT at 323h, my AST a...

Causes for elevated ferritin and transferrin sa...

Lab data below: Ferritin 22 to 322 std range: 373 ng per ml May 2011 Transferrin saturation 15 to 60 pct std ran...

Primary biliary cirrhosis and consequences

Hello, my name is Chrystal and back in August of 2010 and i recently started getting into more pain so i had called ...

Fatty liver and high ALT and AST levels

I had some lab work done and I not sure what the reading means Help!!! my ALT is 85.2 and AST is 41.3 also my Choles...

Liver problems and visit to a specialist

I have a 38 year old son who just got the following test results. My liver alt level is 140 and should be below 45 M...

Pain on the right side under my rib cage

I've had a pain on and off for many months on my right side under my rib cage. In the beginning it hurt when I was ...

Common Causes of Elevated Liver Enzymes

Attached is my blood test result. The SGPT ALT: 84 Gamma GT: 171 AG Ratio: 2.1 Total protein: 6.9 Albumin: 4.7 Globu...

Effect of Liver Cirrhosis on Diabetes

In 2008 I was hospitalized with liver failure and now have cirrhosis. I am also a diabetic and still have issues wit...

Cirrhosis with severe ascitis and liver failure

Hi DR. im from Egypt, 57 years 3 years ago my Liver was failed, not completely last week i do some tests in the hosp...

Is citalopram safe to be taking with a fatty li...

I recently had a fibroscan that showed my liver to be roughly 5.5kpa with "probable fatty infiltration" as a result ...

Narcotics, Hepatitis and liver failure

I know someone who has been addicted to pain killers for years, and has been abusing norco for awhile now. He has He...

Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (...

My husband has end stage liver disease from years of beer drinking and due to a serious varices bleed in his stomach...

Effects of Coca Cola on Liver

My liver enzymes are elevated according to test. i have to go for pics.i have been drinking an excessive amount of c...

LIVER TEST

Is there any connection between high BP and high level of billrubin. And also how can I maintain the desirable level...

Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease

IS A FATTY LIVER VERY BAD?

Liver function tests

Hello, I am after a 2nd opinion - 3 months ago a blood test returned a elevated alt of 51. I have just had a follow...

Muscle weakness elevated liver enzymes

Is it true that having weak muscles can cause the enzyme levels in your liver to increase?

Is an iron level of two hundred with non alcoh...

I have NAFLD and when my results came back my doctor said that I was anemic and that I had to change my diet and lif...

LIVER DAMAGE FROM CELEBREX

At my recent checkup my bloodwork showed my liver enzymes were elevated. A followup ultrasound showed my liver is s...

Significance of elevated liver enzymes

From a blood test I found out I have anemia and a slightly elevated liver enzymes (like a drinker the nurse said). ...

Fatty Liver and cirrhosis

Im 22 years old and I'm looking for help, when i was 17 i was diagnosed with fatty liver disease, i had an ultrasoun...

Faty liver

I have faty liver some time iam using alcohol only some time what iwill do now pls adwaise

Liver Test

My daughters boy friend is a heavy drinker and only 21 years old, has been a heavy drinker for 4 years plus. he has ...

High levels

I just had a physical done for life insurance and got the results back. My tryglycerides, sgpt and ggt were all high...

Hydrocodone metabolized in the liver

I have taken hydrocodone for 10 years for pain, will this enentually damage my liver

Liver issues

What causes the liver to overproduce magnesium? what problems does this cause?

Liver function test

What can a liver function test determine???? alcohol used the day before or consumed over many years ??

Post Your Thoughts