Question :

Size of lung lesion and risk of malignancy

I've been experiencing chest tightness and shortness of breath for almost a month now. My doctor sent me to the ER, where they did blood work, EKG breathing treatment, chest x-ray, CT scan, and stress test. My lung specialist said my lungs are clear, and my breathing function test was good. The CT scan did show a small nodule (half a centimeter) on my left lung. I do have a history of lung cancer (I never smoked), and my upper right lobe was removed 7 years ago. Next, a cardiologist did a heart catheterization and said my heart and arteries were like an 18-yr-old's. My specific question: Is it possible for a half centimeter lung nodule to cause my symptoms? Thank you.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I think it is unlikely that a nodule half a centimetre in size would cause your symptoms of shortness of breath and chest tightness. It is reassuring to note that all the investigations you had completed were normal. Larger lung lesions are more likely to be cancerous than smaller lesions. In one study, the likelihood of malignancy was 0.2 percent for nodules smaller than 3 mm, 0.9 percent for nodules 4 to 7 mm, 18 percent for nodules 8 to 20 mm, and 50 percent for nodules larger than 20 mm. Therefore if your lesion is approximately 5 mm there is about a 1% chance of malignancy. Your family doctor could arrange follow-up screening with CT scan to monitor size of this lesion.

Questions related to Lung Cancer

Low Blood Pressure Before the surgery

Hello, my girlfriend is going to have a surgery for lung cancer. I just knew that her blood pressure is too low. I wo...

Help me please

What is pulmonary nodule i have two one is 2mm the other is 6.5mm what does this mean

Mesothelioma Lawyers in the United States

A few months ago i had a very bad bronchial-type cough. I went to go see my family doctor and he told me if it does ...

Will Cement Dust cause Injury to My Lungs?

Hey, Pete here from Ireland, Hope your well. I have a question regarding my workout area? I have a home gym inside...

Does small nodules seen on chest CT mean lung c...

I just had a CT scan done of my lung and the report had said ." Findings" The scan is abnormal. There are Multiple w...

Life on only one lung??

Can you survive with only one lung? and how? what care does the client needs to have?

Osteosarcoma spreading to the lungs

What are the characteristics of osteosarcoma that has spread to the lungs? Primarily, i was wondering if the tumors...

Pleural based soft tissue mass

Hello, I am concerned about a CT scan report and wanted to ask if I should worry about a soft tissue mass. I had a a...

Symptoms of shortness of breath with a proven DVT

I'm a 48 year male. I am married with 4 kids. I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs. In April I began having chest pains and shortnes...

Emphysema of Lungs

I   Hi. I'm a 59 year old male. Eleven years ago, I had a left lung upper lobectomy for lung cancer - adenocarcino...

Lung Nodules

I haven't been diagnosed with any type of cancer, but I didn't know what other category this would go. I have typed ...

Untreated Lung Cancer

Hi, My husband is 59, and has smoked for 40 plus years, since he was 13. He smokes 2 packs a day, and told me he has...

Blood in the Sputum

I recently started spitting up very dark bloody phlegm. I have not had a cold just some minor congestion. I do smoke...

Two Spleens revelaed on PET Scan of Lung Cancer...

My twin sister recently had a PET scan to see if her cancer has spread and much to her amazement, was diagnosed havi...

What is Mesothelioma?

I was exposed to asbestos in my past employment and told I am at risk for Mesothelioma. I would like to know what i...

Stage IV Lung Cancer Survival Rates

My sister in law was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in September 2009. It has since spread to her bones, liver...

Asbestos exposure and Mesothelioma

I removed a tile floof and wall against a wood burning stove and now think it may have been asbestos.how bad is this...

Post Your Thoughts