Question :

Symptoms of shortness of breath with a proven DVT

I'm a 48 year male. I am married with 4 kids. I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs. In April I began having chest pains and shortness of breath when exercising. My doctor ordered a stress test which was normal. In August I developed DVT in my left leg. Multiple clots in multiple veins. I have been tested for every clotting problem all of which have proven negative. My doctors have labeled this as idiopathic DVT. Also in August the chest pains and the feeling of palpitations have become constant as well as the shortness of breath. I get out of breath tying my shoes. I was tested again for heart problems with an echocardiogram and a heart monitor. All proved negative. I went to a hematologist oncologist who ordered a CT scan of the chest looking for a possible silent PE. No PE but they did find 3 nodules in one lung and 1 in another. The largest nodule being .5cm. I was then sent to a pulmonologist who said the nodules are too small to biopsy and to rescan in 3 months. He did not believe it was cancer. I have been told by all doctors that idiopathic DVT is a marker for cancer, expecially lung cancer. I should also say that I smoked 2 packs a day for 10 years. I quit 20 years ago. I also worked in ashphalt construction for 4 years. Can you provide me your professional thought and opinion? The chest pain, back pain (between my shoulder blades) and now lower rib pain along with my continued shortness of breath is getting worse. Thanks Dan

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Idiopathic DVT can be a manifestation of malignant disease in the body; however this is not always the case. The pulmonary nodules identified may just be an incidental finding on CT scan, particularly if the largest nodule is 0.5cm. If these nodules are not amenable to biopsy, it would be best to monitor them with serial CT scans to detect any change, enlargement, or adjacent enlargement of lymph nodes. By CT criteria lymph nodes of greater than 1cm are considered malignant until proven otherwise, but at present there is no evidence of nodal enlargement. It is difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms, if cardiac investigations are normal and CT Pulmonary angiogram revealed no evidence of pulmonary embolus. If not already completed I would advise pulmonary function testing, arterial blood gas measurement, auto immune screen, peak flow measurement and possible bronchoscopy or high resolution CT scan of the chest, with referral to a Respiratory Consultant for a specialized opinion.

Questions related to Lung Cancer

Low Blood Pressure Before the surgery

Hello, my girlfriend is going to have a surgery for lung cancer. I just knew that her blood pressure is too low. I wo...

Help me please

What is pulmonary nodule i have two one is 2mm the other is 6.5mm what does this mean

Mesothelioma Lawyers in the United States

A few months ago i had a very bad bronchial-type cough. I went to go see my family doctor and he told me if it does ...

Will Cement Dust cause Injury to My Lungs?

Hey, Pete here from Ireland, Hope your well. I have a question regarding my workout area? I have a home gym inside...

Does small nodules seen on chest CT mean lung c...

I just had a CT scan done of my lung and the report had said ." Findings" The scan is abnormal. There are Multiple w...

Life on only one lung??

Can you survive with only one lung? and how? what care does the client needs to have?

Osteosarcoma spreading to the lungs

What are the characteristics of osteosarcoma that has spread to the lungs? Primarily, i was wondering if the tumors...

Pleural based soft tissue mass

Hello, I am concerned about a CT scan report and wanted to ask if I should worry about a soft tissue mass. I had a a...

Emphysema of Lungs

I   Hi. I'm a 59 year old male. Eleven years ago, I had a left lung upper lobectomy for lung cancer - adenocarcino...

Lung Nodules

I haven't been diagnosed with any type of cancer, but I didn't know what other category this would go. I have typed ...

Untreated Lung Cancer

Hi, My husband is 59, and has smoked for 40 plus years, since he was 13. He smokes 2 packs a day, and told me he has...

Size of lung lesion and risk of malignancy

I've been experiencing chest tightness and shortness of breath for almost a month now. My doctor sent me to the ER,...

Blood in the Sputum

I recently started spitting up very dark bloody phlegm. I have not had a cold just some minor congestion. I do smoke...

Two Spleens revelaed on PET Scan of Lung Cancer...

My twin sister recently had a PET scan to see if her cancer has spread and much to her amazement, was diagnosed havi...

What is Mesothelioma?

I was exposed to asbestos in my past employment and told I am at risk for Mesothelioma. I would like to know what i...

Stage IV Lung Cancer Survival Rates

My sister in law was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in September 2009. It has since spread to her bones, liver...

Asbestos exposure and Mesothelioma

I removed a tile floof and wall against a wood burning stove and now think it may have been asbestos.how bad is this...

Post Your Thoughts