Question :

Pleural based soft tissue mass

Hello, I am concerned about a CT scan report and wanted to ask if I should worry about a soft tissue mass. I had a abdominal and pelvic CT scan that came back clear however they found the following: "14mm pleural based soft tissue mass abutting the left lower lobe, differential diagnosis includes predominantly benign processes such as a benign mesenchymal tumor such as a neurofibroma or fibrous tumor of the pleura.". My doctor told me I should follow up CT scan in 3 months. Should I be concerned at this point and be more aggressive such a get a biopsy of the mass? I am a very healthy person, this has me worried sick.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
Your concern is understandable. However, you should note that the vast majority of these tumors are benign. Follow up CT scan in three months is a perfectly reasonable suggestion. If the repeat CT scan shows any changes suggesting a malignancy or should you develop symptoms attributable to the mass then biopsy and removal may be warranted.

Questions related to Lung Cancer

Low Blood Pressure Before the surgery

Hello, my girlfriend is going to have a surgery for lung cancer. I just knew that her blood pressure is too low. I wo...

Help me please

What is pulmonary nodule i have two one is 2mm the other is 6.5mm what does this mean

Mesothelioma Lawyers in the United States

A few months ago i had a very bad bronchial-type cough. I went to go see my family doctor and he told me if it does ...

Will Cement Dust cause Injury to My Lungs?

Hey, Pete here from Ireland, Hope your well. I have a question regarding my workout area? I have a home gym inside...

Does small nodules seen on chest CT mean lung c...

I just had a CT scan done of my lung and the report had said ." Findings" The scan is abnormal. There are Multiple w...

Life on only one lung??

Can you survive with only one lung? and how? what care does the client needs to have?

Osteosarcoma spreading to the lungs

What are the characteristics of osteosarcoma that has spread to the lungs? Primarily, i was wondering if the tumors...

Symptoms of shortness of breath with a proven DVT

I'm a 48 year male. I am married with 4 kids. I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs. In April I began having chest pains and shortnes...

Emphysema of Lungs

I   Hi. I'm a 59 year old male. Eleven years ago, I had a left lung upper lobectomy for lung cancer - adenocarcino...

Lung Nodules

I haven't been diagnosed with any type of cancer, but I didn't know what other category this would go. I have typed ...

Untreated Lung Cancer

Hi, My husband is 59, and has smoked for 40 plus years, since he was 13. He smokes 2 packs a day, and told me he has...

Size of lung lesion and risk of malignancy

I've been experiencing chest tightness and shortness of breath for almost a month now. My doctor sent me to the ER,...

Blood in the Sputum

I recently started spitting up very dark bloody phlegm. I have not had a cold just some minor congestion. I do smoke...

Two Spleens revelaed on PET Scan of Lung Cancer...

My twin sister recently had a PET scan to see if her cancer has spread and much to her amazement, was diagnosed havi...

What is Mesothelioma?

I was exposed to asbestos in my past employment and told I am at risk for Mesothelioma. I would like to know what i...

Stage IV Lung Cancer Survival Rates

My sister in law was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in September 2009. It has since spread to her bones, liver...

Asbestos exposure and Mesothelioma

I removed a tile floof and wall against a wood burning stove and now think it may have been asbestos.how bad is this...

Post Your Thoughts