Question :

Does small nodules seen on chest CT mean lung cancer?

I just had a CT scan done of my lung and the report had said ." Findings" The scan is abnormal. There are Multiple widely distributed bilateral small 2-3 mm nodules right lung. Centered most prominentyly in the anterior portion of the right upper lobe with a few probably in the right lower lob as well associated with mild interstital prominence. On the lfet there are sever small 2-3 mm nodules in the upper prortion of the lower lobe. Does this mean cancer. I have several microndules.

Answer :

Dear Patient: 

Most lung nodules are benign (noncancerous) however there are also nodules that could be an early form of lung cancer or a metastatic foci (cancer somewhere else that has spread to lungs). Common causes of benign nodules are scars from previous infection, benign blood vessel malformations, etc. In your case, you should discuss this with your doctor because there are parameters of lung nodules that should be considered. Malignant (cancer) nodules will most likely have irregular borders, ill-defined contours, lobulated, usually >3cm, etc. Benign nodules will usually have well-defined borders, smooth contours, concentric, <3cm etc. The doubling time (time it takes for a nodule to double in volume) is also a big factor to determine if the nodule is cancerous or not. Personally, I think it will be too early to know for sure if the nodules you have are cancerous or not. I think you should also ask your doctor if repeat CT scans in 3-6 months time is being considered; it is likely this will be your doctor’s next move so the appearance of the nodules can be compared, if it has changed, increased in size, etc. Right now, I would say the nodules you have are unlikely cancerous in nature but further monitoring is warranted. I do hope I have answered your question and I wish you well always.

Questions related to Lung Cancer

Low Blood Pressure Before the surgery

Hello, my girlfriend is going to have a surgery for lung cancer. I just knew that her blood pressure is too low. I wo...

Help me please

What is pulmonary nodule i have two one is 2mm the other is 6.5mm what does this mean

Mesothelioma Lawyers in the United States

A few months ago i had a very bad bronchial-type cough. I went to go see my family doctor and he told me if it does ...

Will Cement Dust cause Injury to My Lungs?

Hey, Pete here from Ireland, Hope your well. I have a question regarding my workout area? I have a home gym inside...

Life on only one lung??

Can you survive with only one lung? and how? what care does the client needs to have?

Osteosarcoma spreading to the lungs

What are the characteristics of osteosarcoma that has spread to the lungs? Primarily, i was wondering if the tumors...

Pleural based soft tissue mass

Hello, I am concerned about a CT scan report and wanted to ask if I should worry about a soft tissue mass. I had a a...

Symptoms of shortness of breath with a proven DVT

I'm a 48 year male. I am married with 4 kids. I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs. In April I began having chest pains and shortnes...

Emphysema of Lungs

I   Hi. I'm a 59 year old male. Eleven years ago, I had a left lung upper lobectomy for lung cancer - adenocarcino...

Lung Nodules

I haven't been diagnosed with any type of cancer, but I didn't know what other category this would go. I have typed ...

Untreated Lung Cancer

Hi, My husband is 59, and has smoked for 40 plus years, since he was 13. He smokes 2 packs a day, and told me he has...

Size of lung lesion and risk of malignancy

I've been experiencing chest tightness and shortness of breath for almost a month now. My doctor sent me to the ER,...

Blood in the Sputum

I recently started spitting up very dark bloody phlegm. I have not had a cold just some minor congestion. I do smoke...

Two Spleens revelaed on PET Scan of Lung Cancer...

My twin sister recently had a PET scan to see if her cancer has spread and much to her amazement, was diagnosed havi...

What is Mesothelioma?

I was exposed to asbestos in my past employment and told I am at risk for Mesothelioma. I would like to know what i...

Stage IV Lung Cancer Survival Rates

My sister in law was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer in September 2009. It has since spread to her bones, liver...

Asbestos exposure and Mesothelioma

I removed a tile floof and wall against a wood burning stove and now think it may have been asbestos.how bad is this...

Post Your Thoughts