Question :

Coughing out blood from the lungs during exertion

Hi,my partner and I are skiing in Niseko, Japan for a week and he had been taking Diclofenac, an anti-inflammatory pills for his back pain as a precaution for he broke his back over a decade ago. Everything was fine for a week and then 2 days ago, he started coughing out blood as he was on a chairlift going up the mountain. It was dark red and slowly easing into just light red as we skiied back to our lodge. He was then fine for like 4 hrs and as he went to bed and rolled over onto his side, he started coughing out more blood. We went to the hospital and did a x-ray and blood test and the results came back fine so the doctor just gave him some coagulate pills to stop the blood. Things were well the next day as we skiied but today, he started coughing blood again as he climbed a short section uphill on the mountain. He is 35yrs old, and maybe smokes a pack of cigarettes every 3 days. What do you think we should do and what might be the cause of this?

Answer :

Dear Patient: 
I understand how worried you are about your partner’s recent symptoms.  Coughing blood or Hemoptysis might result from numerous causes including infections, malignancies and heart conditions.
Since there is a risk factor of smoking and the medication taken Diclofenac might lead to gastritis or ulcer, I would also suggest ruling out these possibilities. A CT scan of the lungs might give the doctors a clear view and perhaps the source of the bleeding. I would suggest him to follow up with a Lung specialist to rule out the exact cause of the hemoptysis. I wish him the best.

Questions related to Lung Disease

Fluid on/in the lungs

What procedure would you perform to remove fluid and phlem from a patient's lungs

Recurring Pneumonia in Healthy 42 year old Female

I'm a 42 year old while, healthy, average weight, female. I had back-to-back pneumonia one year ago in August 2013 (o...

Respiratory problems

Hello, What is the difference between the inhalers ARTIO and AIRTIO F ?

Is it bad if i let water,beer,soda ect.. down m...

Is it bad if i let water,beer,soda ect.. down my throat without swallowing. basically , is it okay if i pour down a l...

i think i need a radioligist

can you tell the difference between bubbles from emphysema and bubbles from hypogammaglobulinemia in lungs on xray or...

Pulmonary Hypertension

In the case of acute pulmonary hypertension, how long can a patient in need of lung transplant live with a badly affe...

Terrible cough with lots of mucus - rarely blood.

I've been smoking for almost a year - about 25g of rolling tobacco per week(Though I've now decided to quit, hoping t...

Experiencing shortness of breath

I am having shortness of breath and feeling like I can't get a full, satisfactory breath. My lung collapsed 2 years a...

Im having heavy sneezing for the last 3 years

Hello Doctor, Iam Kavya 27. Im having heavy sneezing for the last 3 yrs. sometimes which leads to sever cough with s...

Infrahilar Lymphadenopathy?What causes this in ...

What is bilateral infrahilar lymphadenopathy?What causes this in the lungs?

Neck pain , headache and tiredness

Hello, my father has been to the dr. and has been told they cant find anything wrong. he has neck pain followed by h...

Mycobacterium intracellulare infection, How to...

I have been diagnosed with mycobacterium intracellulare few months ago. I don't have medical insurance to take care ...

Unable to play game, felt like rust in the lungs

I played ball last friday and i couldnt finsih the game because i didnt have the power pplus i felt like i had rust ...

Pain in the right lung - pneumonia?

I was having body pains and i took a paracetamol and after taking i got a little temperature and this was only for a...

Tuberculosis medication causing drowsiness.

Hi My mom is under medication for TB. She is taking R Cin, Isokin, Combutol and Pyzina. This has led to drowsiness. ...

Regular fever with night sweats, what could be ...

I am a woman of 61 years,since 5th of September Iam having night sweating and run a fever of 37.3 to 38.5. I have be...

Pain and Noise In my right Lung.

Hello, I am a 46 year old male non-smoker. About 2 weeks ago during the height of allergy season, I started to hear...

I had an episode of Bleeding from Mouth

A Dark blood mucus came out of my mouth this morning,..i'm healthy and i don't have any problem. Is this really a ba...

What is the Cause of My Chronic Cough?

Dear doctor my name is kiran.Im 23 years old . i have been suffering from pneumonia offen atleast once in a month and...

Does Lung Lymphoadenopathy need to be treated b...

Hello, I have been waiting 3 years for surgery to correct bowel prolapse. I have undergone numerous specialist scans...

Five months TB drugs stop for a week then take ...

Does it affect the drug regimen if I stop taking TB drugs after 5 months then take the drug for 2 weeks after a week...

Sarcoidosis and granulomas size

What is the size range for a sarcoid granuloma in the lung? How big can an inflamed pulmonary granuloma get in its a...

Lung Infiltrates after elective surgery

My father just had elective back surgery. After surgery he required oxygen and is up to 100% now. He has lung infi...

Is it safe to go sky diving in my case ?

I had tuberculosis a year ago and eventhough it is gone, i do get breathless sometimes...plus i do get dizzy sometim...

Sputum negative Pulmonary Tuberculosis (PTB)

Hi! I'm James from the Philippines. In my X-Ray result there is a scar on my left lung. I did a medical test to find...

Post Your Thoughts